WDW Annual Pass Increase - the fatal blow to CNDs

migel

People Mover is my speed.
With the dollar struggling to maintain 75 cents, Disney World's new Annual Pass categories with increased pricing comes at the worst time. This is the second year we opted for annual passes, we are fortunate to be eligible for the Florida Resident discount. But even with the discount, the exchange rate made this a difficult decision come renewal time, although we're good until July 2016. Unfortunately, to maintain the same level of AP next year, we'll have to fork out another $300 CND per pass, almost a thousand each, once you factor in the exchange. I think this will be the end for us, unless we can somehow work around the Gold or Silver passes, with block out dates.
I know WDW, like DL say they are trying to alleviate high volume times during the year, but it's still unfortunate. I think they realize they make much more money on single and multiple day ticket packages, over AP holders. For Canadians like us, who can make it 3- 4 times a year at most, this option is beginning to dry up. For us, we will definitely start looking at other ways to spend our time when staying in Central Florida. Parking has already gone up to $20 at WDW, I know individual tickets and tiered pricing will follow.

We were going to renew in December. But now, I doubt that we will.
You're right. The hefty price increase coupled with the exchange rate significantly decreases the value for my family of four.

We never bought WDW APs, but I'm assuming that tiered pricing will soon rear its head. As a teacher traveling only during school vacations & a family of 5 we're priced out. We have managed to get FD or SPD or the Labour Day Exclusive for all 4 of our trips, so it's been a good ride.

I'm buying US buy 2 get 1 free tickets tonight from UT to use next Aug. We'll upgrade to a PowerPass (which seems seriously cheap) & be potentially able to use it for 3 trips - Aug 2016 & 2017 and March 2017.

We're excited to branch out. We'll probably go back to WDW in a few years when hopefully what they have to offer justifies the pricetag.

I have a AP. Its not my first one. The math worked out that once we were there for 10 days the pass had paid for itself. It may take a few more days to pay for its self but when my pass expires next August, I most likely will renew even with the exchange.

The increased price sucks, but the AP math still works for us. The break-even point is 2 5-day hopper passes. If you need more than that in 365 days, then the AP is worth it. Plus you get the discounts and free parking on top of that. We will be allowing our current APs to expire in November, and will then be upgrading our hoppers in June to the new APs. And then I'll be hunting down every single photopass photographer I can to get my money's worth.

If you think WDW APs are bad...take a look at DL APs! :earseek:

WDW's top AP (not including the bi-costal one that can be used at both WDW and DL) costs $829.00.

DL's top AP costs $1049.00. :faint:

The strange thing is that WDW tickets are more than DL ticket...no idea why APs are the other way around. :confused3

No doubt that the Canadian Dollar is hurting us. But its the constant increases by Disney that will hurt the most . The TIW has increased 100% in two years. increase in admissions, sometimes two times in one year. I still think it is good value for first timers with that "first time " feeling. Now that Disney has peoples money in DVC, this may be the norm. For me, there will be no trip this year nor next year. I will use up some points at Aulania in 2017 but that is it. Hard to believe that after 35 years, I may soon reach the breaking point.

I agree the AP is still the way to go if you plan on multiple visits to the park over a few weeks or the entire year. I also like the option of going for a couple of hours, not having to cram an entire day in each visit to get your $100+ worth. But with increasing air fares, car rental, the low dollar, and incidentals, at some point the value to cost ratio becomes problematic. Hopefully the dollar will recover somewhat in the next couple of years, not expecting to see par again, but 80-85 cents would be nice.

Yes, this is us too. I can't travel anytime but high season, so we're stuck! My kids are 10 and 13 though, so maybe it's good we'll be branching out on our holidays now. Disney had a good run, and we have all the amazing memories, but I don't see another trip in our future for quite a while.

We're in the same boat. I bought an AP when we went last year so that we could get the discounts and TIW card. We stayed for 14 nights so it was a no-brainer for us. I was the only one who bought one. For the rest of my family we bought the 14 day tickets out of the UK. Even with the exchange rate from Pounds to Cdn dollar it is much cheaper than an AP. If anyone is going down to DW for an extended time you may want to consider that. Maybe have one member purchase the AP to get the discounts/TIW card and the rest get the 14 day passes. Now that the AP include photopasses I'm not convinced it is a good deal since only 1 person needs the photopass for all members of their family to benefit. It is really just putting lipstick on a pig. I purchased my 14 day passes from American Attractions in the UK - no problem getting them shipped to Canada or loading it on to my MB using MDE.

Unfortunately - going to DW isn't in the cards for us due to the exchange rate but I thought I would just pass this tip along in the hopes that it may help someone here.

I wish the silver AP was an option for non-Florida residents. Easy enough to plan around blackout periods like we currently do with our Universal Power Pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!