WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

GADisneyDad14

Disney Resorts Board
Links/Resources

Disney Park Pass Availability Calendar

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/availability-calendar/?segments=tickets,resort,passholder
Disney Park Pass Reservation Link
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/login/?returnUrl=/park-reservations/create-party

Disney Park Pass New reservation system https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/park-reservations/
WDW Experience Updates - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/

WDW Operations Update Page - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/

WDW Annual Pass Update Page - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/annual-passes/

WDW Resort Hotels & Activities Update Page - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/resorts/

WDW Dining Update Page - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/dine/

Disney Springs Update Page - https://www.disneysprings.com/reopening/

News/Announcement History
Friday 6/19/2020 - Disney Park Pass Info
Thursday 6/18/2020 - Update on Seasonal Events at Walt Disney World Resort
Thursday 6/18/2020 - Reopening Disney Parks – Our Continued Focus on Health and Safety
Thursday 6/18/2020 - Together, Let’s Make Your Next Disney Day Incredible
Wednesday 6/10/2020 - An Update on Disney Resort Hotels from Katie Kelly, Vice President of Worldwide Safety Services
Thursday 5/28/2020 Update on WDW Reservation System
Wednesday 5/27/2020 - Disney Submits Plans for Phased Reopening Beginning 7/11/2020
Friday 5/22/2020 - Disney Parks Blog "Update from Guest Relations"
Saturday 5/16/2020 - Welcome Back! Here’s What You Need to Know About the Phased Reopening of Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort
Thursday 5/7/2020 - Disney Springs Begins Phased Reopening on May 20
Thursday 5/7/2020 - Shanghai Disneyland Video on Reopening Procedures
Wednesday 5/6/2020 - Shanghai Disneyland Reopening Procedures Press Release
Tuesday 5/5/2020 - Disney Parks Blog "Message about Disney Parks from Chief Medical Officer Dr. Pamela Hymel"
Tuesday 5/5/2020 - It’s Time For Magic: Shanghai Disneyland Begins Phased Reopening on May 11
Thursday 3/12/2020 (late) - Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris Theme Parks to Close End of Business Sunday 3/15 Through the End of the Month
Thursday 3/12/2020 - Disneyland (California) & Disney California Adventure Theme Parks to Close End of Business Friday 3/13 Through the End of the Month

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is for COVID-19/Coronavirus information as is relates to Walt Disney World trip planning and the Walt Disney World theme parks.

Anything else will be considered off topic and may be removed. This is not a place for news or discussion about the virus itself or for rampant speculation about the future of park operations.

As a reminder, DISBoards posting guidelines - which include items such as staying on topic and politics - can be found here: https://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

There are numerous other threads around various DISBoards forums that are available for discussion of topics beyond those covered here on the Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board.

Off topic, political, alarmist, non-respectful, or judgmental discussion not related to the theme parks is not permitted and will be removed at the discretion of TPAS moderators. Repeat offenders may risk infraction points.

The Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board is not a news outlet - this is a WDW-centric board and thread. Those seeking healthcare and virus related information / resources should consult with professional resources.

Thank you for keeping this thread rationale and respectful.

Last edited:
Thanks @GADisneyDad14!

As of now, we are currently still actively planning for our May WDW trip. I'm really interested in hearing how others are planning and hoping we can bounce ideas and our experiences in navigating a WDW trip during this uncertain time.

So far I've been able to get some ticket info. from UT (where we bought our tix) on their refund policy and the biggest thing I've learned is that you can still get a refund even if you've linked your tickets to MDE! That took a HUGE load off just knowing we won't be out that money if something happens. Of course, it depends on what type of tickets a person buys, date of purchase and if you're planning on just a refund or some sort of ticket exchange. But the important thing, and to their credit, is that UT is more than willing to work with their customers.

We're still working on the travel insurance part. We're offsite, and I did purchase insurance, so we'll see.

I'm still working on ideas for when we're actually there.

Looking forward to hearing from others as you are planning an immediate trip also!

Thanks @GADisneyDad14!

As of now, we are currently still actively planning for our May WDW trip. I'm really interested in hearing how others are planning and hoping we can bounce ideas and our experiences in navigating a WDW trip during this uncertain time.

So far I've been able to get some ticket info. from UT (where we bought our tix) on their refund policy and the biggest thing I've learned is that you can still get a refund even if you've linked your tickets to MDE! That took a HUGE load off just knowing we won't be out that money if something happens. Of course, it depends on what type of tickets a person buys, date of purchase and if you're planning on just a refund or some sort of ticket exchange. But the important thing, and to their credit, is that UT is more than willing to work with their customers.

We're still working on the travel insurance part. We're offsite, and I did purchase insurance, so we'll see.

I'm still working on ideas for when we're actually there.

Looking forward to hearing from others as you are planning an immediate trip also!

First and foremost DO WHAT IS BEST for YOU and YOUR family. Who cares what other people say about your plans and your decisions what's best for you is the most important.

I live in Palm Beach and I am DW once a month, usually for the day. I do have a 3 trip planned in May though. I was at HW last week and will bein Epcot next week.

For me what I did this past week in HS:

- After touching the touch point, sanitized
- After touching a door, or hand rail, or anything like that, sanitizer
- After getting on rides and touching the lap bar or anything like that, sanitized.
- After rides I went to bathroom and washed hands.
- before eating anything washed hands.

I will say, since all the time being at DW this past trip it was one of the first times i was really conscience about not touching my face.

again do what works for you and what's best for you

While I'm not worried, I probably won't be going as often until this is over.

I I usually go once or twice a week if I can. But I have friends coming down in less than 2 weeks, and doing the 10k in April. I don't see myself going to the parks outside of that. Just don't wanna deal with it (that and spring break crowds lol)

First and foremost DO WHAT IS BEST for YOU and YOUR family. Who cares what other people say about your plans and your decisions what's best for you is the most important.
Oh I have no problem doing that! LOL!

For me what I did this past week in HS:
- After touching the touch point, sanitized
- After touching a door, or hand rail, or anything like that, sanitizer
- After getting on rides and touching the lap bar or anything like that, sanitized.
- After rides I went to bathroom and washed hands.
- before eating anything washed hands.

I do those things on a regular basis in WDW, so I am "that person" and I'm fine with it.
I also do it after touching menus, those utensil dispensers, and I've started to pay attention to wiping the arms of my glasses since I tend to touch those to adjust them a lot. I've started cleaning my phone more often also. We have covid in my state, not too far from me, and I clean it every time I come home from being out.

Thanks @GADisneyDad14!

This is SO helpful! Thank you so much! I was planning on foregoing getting Fast Passes this week because I didn't want to risk losing my ability to get a refund. I will call UT just to confirm - but this is a load off.

Specifics are probably best for the DL board. But general “what’s going on over on the west coast park” references seem fine with me.
Awesome! Well in my case I have a conference coming up in Anaheim this summer, but am holding off buying tickets in case it gets cancelled. In, fact... I may wait up until just a few weeks ahead of time (something that would be a major dilemma at WDW with 60 day FP) Anyone else pumping the breaks on buying Disney tickets on the off chance that they close the parks? How would that even work with the current date based ticketing? Would everyones tickets become refundable or "Flex Date?"

This is SO helpful! Thank you so much! I was planning on foregoing getting Fast Passes this week because I didn't want to risk losing my ability to get a refund. I will call UT just to confirm - but this is a load off.
You're welcome! I would still call, just to be sure. And I don't think it applies to e-tickets, just hard tickets. And I don't know about other tickets. We bought the 4 park magic ticket... or whatever it's called, lol!

My thoughts were the exact same... hold off on linking my tickets until the last possible minute and miss out on FP+. I called UT last week to ask what my options were in exchanging my tickets from date based to undated and how much time did I have to do that, since my trip isn't until May and everything is up in the air right now with no concrete plans. She told me that they will work with me in whatever I decide and that even if I link tickets to MDE the 90 day policy remains. I can either cancel or exchange (with appropriate upgrade fees) before the 90 days is up.

Oh I have no problem doing that! LOL!

I do those things on a regular basis in WDW, so I am "that person" and I'm fine with it.
I also do it after touching menus, those utensil dispensers, and I've started to pay attention to wiping the arms of my glasses since I tend to touch those to adjust them a lot. I've started cleaning my phone more often also. We have covid in my state, not too far from me, and I clean it every time I come home from being out.

Then you should be fine. Enjoy your trip.

FWIW, very interesting on the news tonight, if you are more than 6 feet away from a person who has the virus, likelihood of getting it is low. That was interesting to me.

We have a trip planned for the last week of May, and as of now, are still planning to go. We don’t fall into the high-risk groups. My fear is that we will get sick while there and be quarantined and not able to get home.

The big issue for us is airfare. We have trip insurance, but when I got it last summer, silly me didn’t think of a global pandemic virus as something to worry about! So the insurance doesn’t cover this situation. If this gets bad enough that the airline starts waiving change fees, we are going to take a hard look into moving our trip to August. We have a room-only reservation that can, of course, be moved or canceled up to 5 days in advance with no penalty. I’d call Disney to change the date on my tickets...we’d be out a little money because August is cheaper than Memorial Day, but I’d be willing to eat the cost if it gets that bad. We also have tickets to EMM, which can also be canceled.

So...basically, we are proceeding with caution at this time.

Anyone else pumping the breaks on buying Disney tickets on the off chance that they close the parks?
I already had my tickets purchased before covid was in the US. If I hadn't, I would be looking at what refund policies are and which type of ticket would be better. IMO, probably the flexible one. But then you still have to look at how much time you had to make changes, if needed, after purchase.
How would that even work with the current date based ticketing? Would everyones tickets become refundable or "Flex Date?"
I don't think anyone could answer a "what if" question now. My personal opinion is that if it came down to it Disney wouldn't refund, they would help you use the ticket sometime down the road. JMO.

Going April 23-28 with my extended family. Our biggest concern is my 62 year old father with his high risks of developing a severe case and his underlying conditions.

Everything we have booked so far is refundable outside of the park tickets for 3 of the people on our trip, but those arent tied to specific dates, so long as we cancel before 15 days prior to our trip. We're just going to continue monitoring until that point and see what decisions we have to make.

Was already planning on getting more Clorox style wipes and hand sanitizer, just may have to jump on it a tad earlier now.

Our benefit of flexibility has us currently less concerned about how this progresses with regard to our trip.

Hi, We have an upcoming trip 4/13-4/18 but I’m a bit concerned for the three grandparents coming with us. I need to buy tickets this week so we can start fast passing (staying off property so 30 day window). Can someone help me out on what kind of ticket options we have, if any, that would allow us to cancel? Is this even an option if we are off property? If not, can I change dates and what is the process for that.. do I need to have new dates to change it to or can we use them for next year? Our flights will have a change fee and we need to use within a year so that will be a loss.

Still uncertain what we will decide but I will need to buy tickets if we want to go so I can fastpass. Any advice and suggestions would be welcome!
TIA

We are set to leave in about 2 weeks. We are in wait and see mode. I'm trying to put it into perspective and keep my feelings in check because people are dying and suffering because of this, but I'm really bummed. Being a point rental (a large one at that) is making this a really difficult decision for us. It is a huge amount of money to eat. And also DH and I are AP's because of a bonus trip last fall, so even if we could salvage everyone elses tickets (I would guess Disney would do *something* for the regular tickets) there's even more wasted money there. Insurance is not helpful for us unless Canada issues a certain level of travel advisory.

Not looking for any real solutions or advice, because I don't think there's much to be done at this point but wait and see, but yeah.

Good bye Disney. We had a trip planned for last week of April into early May, BUT my husband is just turning 60 with many health issues, and I'm 57, and while I used to be the healthier of the two of us, I am quickly catching up to him.

So while it was really hard, we made the choice to cancel last night. It was particularly hard because I managed to get all the FastPasses we wanted, and we had the perfect balance of parks and relaxing.

We usually do not "panic". We usually stay the course, BUT given my husband's recent diagnosis of late onset asthma, we just can't take the chance. Is there a chance we could contract coronavirus locally? Absolutely! But we think traveling just increases the odds at the moment.

I am very worried about my beloved Disney. I am willing to bet cancellations are abounding, and the question is whether this organization is strong enough and diversified enough to withstand this latest challenge. Will it be short-term enough that it can withstand the turbulence, or will it be long-term enough that it will fold? It is my Happy Place, and I truly hope it survives so I can yet again go and center myself. No where else have I been able to do that as I have at Disney.

Good luck to all the senior executives at Disney and their teams. I hope you can navigate through this and come out even stronger on the other side. We have you in our thoughts and offer all the pixie dust that we can muster!....:lovestruc:love::wizard::wizard::wizard:

I posted this in the other thread, worth repeating here. WDW on the HUB (internal CM site) has a page dedicated to the virus with information, videos, links to the CDC and a hotline where CM can call and ask any questions the might have on the subject.
I have seen an increase on hand sanitizing stations all around the parks, especially the past 3 days.
On a personal note, I am a local who visits the parks 3 times a week, both of my kids work at the theme parks, and I am taking extra precautions but not worried. As long as you follow the simple guidelines of hand washing, sanitizing, coughing into your elbow or tissue, not touching your face, avoiding unnecessary contact you should be ok.

Awesome! Well in my case I have a conference coming up in Anaheim this summer, but am holding off buying tickets in case it gets cancelled. In, fact... I may wait up until just a few weeks ahead of time (something that would be a major dilemma at WDW with 60 day FP) Anyone else pumping the breaks on buying Disney tickets on the off chance that they close the parks? How would that even work with the current date based ticketing? Would everyones tickets become refundable or "Flex Date?"
We are planning on going to DL in one month and still haven’t bought park tickets. We are not planning on cancelling yet, but are monitoring the situation daily. The only thing we’ve paid for is airfare and so far Delta hasn’t said anything about waiving change fees on April flights.

We’re doing other things on this trip besides Disney, but the kids are really looking forward to DL the most. So if we don’t feel that it’s a safe choice or Disney would close, I don’t really want to go at all. We discussed today about maybe just changing our flights and going somewhere else if Disney is off the table. I am not overly worried about us getting sick, honestly. We are all healthy and not in a high risk group. But I don’t want to expose those around us who are more at risk.

I have seen an increase on hand sanitizing stations all around the parks, especially the past 3 days.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if Disney is doing anything extra right now with cleaning/disinfecting regularly touched surfaces, like the tapstile, door handles, food counters, tables, ride bars, etc?

I'm wondering how much extra they're doing as I've seen and experienced first hand the changes in businesses sanitation protocols here. It's definitely stepped up since the announcement of cases in our state and I know florida also has cases. For example, just on a trip to Lowe's today we saw an employee cleaning the self scan registers after every customer used the pin pad and touch screen. I know it would be difficult for Disney to do that after each "touch" with the sheer amount of visitors, but I'm wondering if they're doing anything specific? Or how they're stepping up cleaning/disinfecting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!