WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

I just have no words. I’m heartbroken on several levels, but mostly for the performers themselves. And I just lost any desire I had to go back any time soon.
I get the sentiment, but without guests, it’ll be even harder for Disney to recreate all the shows and bring the cast members back.

However, you certainly don’t owe Disney anything either.

Definitely a sad day for everyone drawn to the entertainment aspect of the parks.

They announced on their Facebook page today that there are new rounds of layoffs and that some of the Citizens are part of that. I really hope to see them return, watching them was always so much fun.

I get the sentiment, but without guests, it’ll be even harder for Disney to recreate all the shows and bring the cast members back.
Yes, I know. And I’m not saying I won’t go, I just know that the parts I miss the most won’t be there anyway, so I don’t have the same urge to go. But I have 3 young children who also love Disney, and so I know we’ll be back. But explaining to them why so much is different is going to be so very sad for all of us. (Not to make this all about me and mine - I still cannot imagine what this means to all of those performers. That hurts the most right now).

The Disney World we've all known and loved is gone....time to start looking at new vacation spots and just cheris the memories that we have. Much of what has been cut isn't coming back and if it does it will be drastically different. Ive finally come to accept that.

We are retirees who do a Disney vacation every year, on site resort, meals, etc. The elimination of entertainment is a deal killer for us. Our trip last February was planned around the fabulous Disney on Broadway series at The Epcot arts festival. We also did all of the shows mentioned that were canceled and also did the Hoop De Doo revue, also a casualty. And add to that the parades and evening shows no longer taking place.

The entertainment is our “magic”. The rides alone aren’t enough to entice me to plan a visit.

Last edited:

So did the union holding out in the beginning when WDW opened end up hurting the actors by not settling and let them get back to work? If they had worked things out in the beginning, would some of the actors be working like the Frozen crew and maybe not received this news?

So did the union holding out in the beginning when WDW opened end up hurting the actors by not settling and let them get back to work? If they had worked things out in the beginning, would some of the actors be working like the Frozen crew and maybe not received this news?
the answer to that we will never know

My husband said last night, with so much taken away, it's hardly worth the cost of admission. Wonder if Disney will ever drop the prices given truly you only have about 60% of the experiences. It's all so sad and frustrating too.
I know everyone is different, but I'll share my perspective. My trip in late August was about 95% a normal visit for me. The only show that I regularly see that wasn't running was FotLK, so it was really just that and fireworks that weren't there for a normal trip for me. Which really, HEA is the only fireworks show that is a must for me, the others I really only watch if I happen to be there at the right time. I go to WDW for the rides, theming, and food/snacks, which were all still there for me (minus Peoplemover). And most of my trips lately have been rD weekends, meaning that I would be back to the hotel and in bed by 8, 9 at the latest anyway. It truly felt like a normal trip for me (other than the M word of course). I know this isn't true for everyone, but I'm sure there are others out there like me.

I know everyone is different, but I'll share my perspective. My trip in late August was about 95% a normal visit for me. The only show that I regularly see that wasn't running was FotLK, so it was really just that and fireworks that weren't there for a normal trip for me. Which really, HEA is the only fireworks show that is a must for me, the others I really only watch if I happen to be there at the right time. I go to WDW for the rides, theming, and food/snacks, which were all still there for me (minus Peoplemover). And most of my trips lately have been rD weekends, meaning that I would be back to the hotel and in bed by 8, 9 at the latest anyway. It truly felt like a normal trip for me (other than the M word of course). I know this isn't true for everyone, but I'm sure there are others out there like me.

So good to hear this! It's kind of what we are planning on. Fireworks and Fest. of LK are the only two must-dos. I'm more sad for the performers themselves and look forward to them coming back. But, we do still think there will be magic in what we can do - and can't wait until it gets here!

I am the same. I go for rides, parades, theming and food. Fireworks are a bonus. Honestly I am thinking it may be nice with the shorter hours because I will be forced to go to the resort.
I am the person who feels like I need to be in the park if it is open. Maybe my May trip I will get some sleep or just enjoy the resort more. LOL

The union wasn't holding out. They were gridlocked with Disney over safety measure negotiations.

I'm gonna go with No on this. Plenty of other cast members that didn't hold out that were laid off as well. This is just a result of months long closures, lower attendance, lower hotel stays, etc, causing The Walt Disney Company to bleed money. Large amounts of cuts had to be made and unfortunately, the shows are where a large number of employees are located.

Obviously, this is all speculation, as is any answer you're going to get for this question. It's sad none the less for both the CM's losing their job as well as us guests who love to stop and watch the shows. I hope they come back soon, but we probably won't hear much about new or returning shows until the pandemic is considered over.

Remember that live performers onstage are in close proximity to one another, so social distancing is out of the question, as are masks. That's why Broadway's shut down. They could probably space out the audience, but it'd be impossible to keep the actors onstage and offstage far enough away from each other. Not to mention the musicians in the orchestra pit. Even a one-person show wouldn't work, since there are so many people behind the scenes--and offstage areas are cramped and close.

Remember that live performers onstage are in close proximity to one another, so social distancing is out of the question, as are masks. That's why Broadway's shut down. They could probably space out the audience, but it'd be impossible to keep the actors onstage and offstage far enough away from each other.
I think the other issue with Broadway is the reduced capacity. Running a show at 50% revenue at best likely means the show isn't breaking even.

I'm gonna go with No on this. Plenty of other cast members that didn't hold out that were laid off as well. This is just a result of months long closures, lower attendance, lower hotel stays, etc, causing The Walt Disney Company to bleed money. Large amounts of cuts had to be made and unfortunately, the shows are where a large number of employees are located.

Obviously, this is all speculation, as is any answer you're going to get for this question. It's sad none the less for both the CM's losing their job as well as us guests who love to stop and watch the shows. I hope they come back soon, but we probably won't hear much about new or returning shows until the pandemic is considered over.
Having DL/DCA shut down indefinitely doesn't help either. FotLC is the only "must do" for us in this latest round of cuts, but even if you don't step foot in the theaters there is a very definite hole in the park without the shows.

Having DL/DCA shut down indefinitely doesn't help either. FotLC is the only "must do" for us in this latest round of cuts, but even if you don't step foot in the theaters there is a very definite hole in the park without the shows.
yeah, being new to the parks, I hadn't really seen many of the shows. I was definitely wanting to see more of them on our May trip before it was cancelled. Now I don't get the chance, so that sucks. I really hope they can figure out a way back from this.

Remember that live performers onstage are in close proximity to one another, so social distancing is out of the question, as are masks. That's why Broadway's shut down. They could probably space out the audience, but it'd be impossible to keep the actors onstage and offstage far enough away from each other. Not to mention the musicians in the orchestra pit. Even a one-person show wouldn't work, since there are so many people behind the scenes--and offstage areas are cramped and close.
Thr shows were being reblocked to allow distancing before they had the union/ Disney dispute. This decision is purely money saving and not about safety

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!