WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

We went to MK yesterday without any issues. In regards to people eating/walking with masks down, I saw no one. My mother and I had breakfast under the train in front of Splash Mountain's gift shop(waiting in the virtual line!). We were sitting down, out of everyone's way, and had our masks down while we ate and drank. No one said anything, and no one seemed to care that our masks were down. It was for a max of 15 minutes, and even between bites we put our masks back up.

Now, walking around was a different story. If you need a quick drink, drop the mask and take a drink, then put it back up. No cast members asked us to stop and go to the side, and I didn't witness anyone else being told either. Also, during this new protocol, eating while walking is both not smart plus its not fun! During the heat + masks, you will WANT to find a spot to sit down and eat. It's just more enjoyable. There are plenty of tables that you can sit and eat at without a reservation(just around the park) and no one will come up to you and berate you for eating or drinking.

Now, right as we left the park, I decided to purchase a Mickey Bar(as a last "yay to MK!") and of course, ice cream + heat equals gotta eat it fast. I had my mask down while eating and walking out of the park. No one said anything, I stayed a safe distance away from people and cast members while eating, and it was no big deal. While waiting for the Ferry, I stayed back from the(ironically) 3 other people waiting in line to eat the rest of my Mickey Bar. No one asked me to put my mask up, and I only put it up to walk onto the Ferry as I passed the cast members greeting us. It's common courtesy.

So overall, I would say if you need to drink while walking, do it quickly/step to the side, or, better yet, bring a straw! Best idea we did was we brought the cups from Universal(I know, terrible) that had the bendy straws and just shoved them up to our mouths under our masks and walked around like that. Mouths and noses still covered, and yet still able to drink. For food, I would suggest finding a place to sit or stop and stand away from people. I also don't believe you can eat in stores(don't quote me on this, we will find out again when we go back in 9 days for a true Disney trip) because you must have your mask on in stores. If it comes up that you are asked by a cast member to step aside and finish eating or pull your mask up, don't get frustrated or take it out on them. It is their job to promote safety during these times, so just follow the rules. Whatever you are trying to get/where ever you are trying to get to can wait the 5 minutes you need to finish your food or put your mask on.
I'm not sure how I would react if a Disney guest came up to me to ask me to put my mask on. If it's that big of a deal, go get a cast member. I know some people will take to enforcing the rules by their own means, but that 1. isn't your job and 2. if it bothers you my mask is down while I am drinking, staying a safe distance away from people, and I am not bothering anyone else, then maybe you just shouldn't be at a public amusement park, running the risk of exposure, in the first place.

This is just my 2 cents, based on what I experienced yesterday. Disney is doing a pretty good job of enforcing the rules and having cast members enforce them as well. Can't wait to go back and see the difference between previews and regular opening.

Disney definitely wasn't doing much enforcement at the MK AP event yesterday. Saw a few idiots with their masks pulled completely down below their chins, and quite a few morons with their noses exposed. They'd walk right by multiple cast members with nary a peep. And those were just the people without food/drink in their hands. Lots of people were walking around with a bottle or whatever in their hand with their masks off.

I had hoped that Disney would be taking guest safety seriously. Nope!
And that is why I'm not going until we have a vaccine.

What’s the bag check situation like? That and the transportation (and I ultimately decided to rent a car when we’re there next month) are my biggest concerns returning to Disney. It’s always made me uncomfortable to have someone handling my personal items, especially things like water bottles and medications, but given the Covid situation, it’s an even bigger concern. Has anything changed with the bag check or is it still the same? Any chance they are changing gloves and/or (wishful thinking?) hand sanitizing between guests? I’d love to go bagless, but due to my daughter’s allergies and needing to carry Epipens, that will never be a reality for us.

If there haven’t been any changes to bag check, do you think if I put our things in a clear stadium-approved bag, they would still insist on opening it?

What’s the bag check situation like? That and the transportation (and I ultimately decided to rent a car when we’re there next month) are my biggest concerns returning to Disney. It’s always made me uncomfortable to have someone handling my personal items, especially things like water bottles and medications, but given the Covid situation, it’s an even bigger concern. Has anything changed with the bag check or is it still the same? Any chance they are changing gloves and/or (wishful thinking?) hand sanitizing between guests? I’d love to go bagless, but due to my daughter’s allergies and needing to carry Epipens, that will never be a reality for us.

If there haven’t been any changes to bag check, do you think if I put our things in a clear stadium-approved bag, they would still insist on opening it?
There's an entire different thread for bag check

I should point out that most people were wearing their masks correctly. But enough weren't that its clear that they are not making much effort to enforce the rules.

We were behind a family in the Little Mermaid queue that all had their masks down below their noses. They walked right past multiple cast members that spoke to them, and none told them to wear their masks properly. A family in front of us in the Winnie the Pooh queue kept pulling their masks down when they spoke. What is wrong with these people?

We saw one couple multiple times through the day that had their masks folded so that the masks literally just covered their lips. They covered about 1 inch vertically. We also saw 10+ people wearing gaiters with no ear holes, which are supposedly not allowed.

I should point out that most people were wearing their masks correctly. But enough weren't that its clear that they are not making much effort to enforce the rules.
This is super disappointing. And if the first few days are like this, you know the CMs are only going to get MORE lax with time passing and their own frustration over persons breaking policy. I think those of us with trips planned in the near future should flood WDW with emails about our concerns over lack of enforcement.

I don’t think disney is any different than anywhere in the country in this regard. When I am in line at the store and someone maskless comes up close behind me I ask them to please step back to the space marked on the floor. Staff can’t be everywhere at once. I have had some people get nasty but that’s the price you have to pay for safety. That said, if I were outdoors and someone keeping 6 ft away pulled a mask down to drink I wouldn’t say anything. It’s a sliding scale on risk. Outdoors and distanced is not a real concern per the studies I’ve read. Indoors or close together in a crowd is another story and masks are more important then.

Of course, we plan to follow the rules scrupulously and I would highly recommend everyone do the same. My 4-year old has no trouble keeping on a mask in 90 degree heat, and how big an inconvenience is it really to step aside somewhere off the main path to eat and drink?

Not sure I’ve seen this posted, may be behind. Resorts aren’t sharing buses. Eg, Poly and GF usually share under normal conditions (except peak times), but they are separate going to/from Poly to DAK.

Obviously these things can change frequently.
Jambo and Kidani are still sharing buses, probably because of the fewer people at Jambo.

Now that Disney’s rules say that gaiters aren’t allowed, has anyone seen CM’s stopping people wearing them?

Not sure I’ve seen this posted, may be behind. Resorts aren’t sharing buses. Eg, Poly and GF usually share under normal conditions (except peak times), but they are separate going to/from Poly to DAK.

Obviously these things can change frequently.
True, but if that is the plan it would help explain why they are staggering openings since not only are buses are lower capacity, they have to have enough for each resort.

True, but if that is the plan it would help explain why they are staggering openings since not only are buses are lower capacity, they have to have enough for each resort.
What's helping them right now is that a lot of resorts are still closed and also no bus service between parks since there's no park hopping

What's helping them right now is that a lot of resorts are still closed and also no bus service between parks since there's no park hopping
Good point, although still a lot of resorts open. I'm still really dreading the bus waits though. Worried budgetary cuts are also in play so might be fewer drivers back from furlough. Would love to hear some reports on bus wait times this week.

Anecdotal/situational of course. But there are more buses than people, from my brief experience.
That's a relief. Anecdotal is all we have to go on for now, so I'll take it! Wish they would release some more info on how they plan to gradually increase capacity though. Don't want to feel like a sucker when I show in August and it is crowds and long waits everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter