• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Dining Reviews - Oct 1st

Pammy_from_WI

<font color=teal>Remember what Ohana means, Pammy?
I'm going to do reviews by day, since it's easier for me to provided more details and take breaks from typing. LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Midwest On-Board Meal Program - Breakfast

Flew out Midwest and choose to buy their on-board meal. I don't know how many people know this, but they almost filled chapter 11 a few months back and decided that one way to cut costs was to get rid of meals for short flights. The company that did the meals offered them a deal to still serve food, same great food, but let passengers choose to buy it or not. They hope to bring back free meals, but I think it's a great solution to a problem.

My daughter and I both opted to buy the breakfast and we had a bowl of vanilla yogurt with wild mixed berries on the side that you could mix in. It also came with a plum, bottle of water and then a yummy breakfast sandwich. It had hard boiled eggs sliced, with ham and cheese on a crossiont. I think there was some other things on the plate too, but I can't remember what it was.

My hubby shared the same thing with our 3 year old. The others didn't get breakfast. The cost was $7 per person, and we were stuffed, thought it was well worth the $7 bucks, we had been up since 4am and were starving and would never have lasted until 1pm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mara - AKL - Lunch

I had the chicken pepper pot soup. It was not like the pepper pot soup I've had in the past, but it was yummy. It had green and red peppers, white meat chicken chunks, onions and some other veggies in a slightly sweet broth. It did have a small kick to it, but it was not overly spicy hot. I would say it's pretty Americanized, but still gives one a good idea of what pepper pot soup is like.

Hubby and teen had the chicken breast sandwich. It was grilled and just came plain, they have a nice fixings bar to add what you want to it. These came with very good fries. I'm super picky about fries, love the crinkle cut kind and hate when they are battered first. So these were right up my alley!

Our 3 year old had the hot dog and fries meal. Good hot dog, but not as good as Casey's. My little one gave it a two thumbs up though!

My MIL got the tossed salad and wow that salad is huge, enough for 3-4 people to share as a side. It was loaded with veggies and they were fresh, no browning of the lettuce as you sometimes find.

My AIL and GIL got a sandwich off the fridge section, it was diced chicken type of sandwich on a hogie roll. I think it came with something but I'm not sure about that. They also shared some of the MIL's salad, since there was no way she was going to eat that whole thing by herself.

We found that Mara had a very nice selection, covering just about anything. They have yogurt, fruit, desserts like those yummy zebra domes and the like. A nice bakery selection and much much more!

We also each got a mug for $11.99, expect my hubby since he's a water drinker and figured he would just share with our toddler. We had picked up 3-18 packs of bottled water on the way in.

Ok the mugs, got lots of comments about those from first timers staying at the AKL. One guy even told us how dumb we were to buy them. LOL For some they are a stupid purchase, like for my hubby that almost only drinks water, that would be dumb. But at $1.99 for a soda I know darn well I drank my share of soda and the cup paid for itself by the 3rd day. If you opt out of getting a coffee maker in your room or like hot cocoa or drink a lot of soda, they can pay for themselves. Plus they make a nice gift to bring home and remember your stay at whichever hotel you were at.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner at Beaches and Cream

We had to meet another DIS family and my hubby and toddler were so pooped out from the trip, they left Epcot and went back to the hotel, the rest of us ladies went off to eat.

We never thought we'd get in there at the hour we were eating at, but WDW magic was shinning on us. Walked right in got seated at the counter, which we liked, got to talk to the cook and such, lots of fun.

My MIL was still full from lunch and I think very overwhelemed by her first flight and trip to WDW, that she wasn't real hungry but she ordered a coke float and said it was very good.

The rest of us all ordered cheese burgers and fries, expect my daughter that got a side of chili to go with her fries. The made an oops and but it in a large bowl, so they slipt it between us so we could all try it. They only charged us for a side. GIL and AIL got beers, my teen and I got cokes.

Well now we have a great burger place here in WI called Kopps. They have awesome burgers, so I'm pretty picky about my bugers too!! All I can say is if we had a Beaches and Cream in my town I'd be in big trouble!!!! LOL Those burgers were wonderful!!!!!!!!!! We all loved them and we come from a town where we love a good burger. I was expecting hocky puck sized patties, but these were thick and very juicy. They were cooked well done, as in no pink, but they didn't get dried out at all. Fries here were good too.

The chili was also very good, I'm not a big chilie person, like it just not very ofter, but I thought it was excellent for a fast food type of place. Had just enough spice to give it a bite, but not too spicy. Lots of beans and meat, not too runny, like some places.

We all wanted to get dessert, but we were so stuffed!

This is now on my must do list! We did have a boo boo on our bill, somehow they charged us for 12 beers, don't know what happened with that. Then they didn't know how to fix it, so they called a manager who couldn't figure it out either. They asked us to come back tomorrow to correct it and we said NO WAY!!! They finally got it corrected. Otherwise the service was great, had three waitresses waiting on us and a cook. The place was pretty well dead.

We had a great first day for meals and it only got better!

Stay tuned more to come. If you have ?s just ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Pammy

Great reviews!!!

Maybe you all were thirstier than you thought??? That's a lot of beer........ :hyper:

I'll be looking forward to the next installment!!

Well written reviews thank you for sharing I am enjoying reading them.:wizard: ::yes:: :wave2:

Thanks for the MWE report. We fly with them in Feb. My DH was disappointed they discontinued the meals. I am glad to hear you can purchase them its a lot easier then trying to find something to eat at Mitchell. Did you purchase your on board meal with cash?

Are you sure they were wrong with the 12 beers? Maybe they knew you were from Wisconsin,hay, and figured that was the least amount of beer you would all drink,hay.....:teeth:

TY all!

DisorBust - Yes, you can purchase them only with cash once you are on board. There is some talk about taking cc's in the future, but they didn't know when.

And Mitchell is a pain in the early morning hours, everything is typically closed 'cept for Starbucks. Plus we boarded about 5 min. after we got to the gate, so we wouldn't have had time anyhow.

Oh sure ya der hey I think ya we did drink 12 beers. :teeth: LOL Ya know I'm just up der road from you! :teeth: I'm in West Bend.

Pammy

I am enjoying reading your dining reviews - they are great! We have thought about trying Beaches and Cream in the past and now that you have compared them to Kopps (our favorite :D ) we'll definitely have to give it a try!

Thanks for the the MWE info. I don't carry much cash so its go to know I'll be needing an extra 60.00.

Pam you are very close by. One of these days we need to get all the cheeseheads on thie boards together for a dismeet!

Sue

Loving your reviews Pammy! Some thoughts: I don't think it's dumb to buy the refillable mugs at all. Even when we have had a fridge and stopped to store some soft drinks (and yes, beer :teeth:) they don't last long so we still buy refillable mugs - maybe not one for each of the 5 of us but dh enjoys walking to get his mug filled with coffee in the morning since he gets bored waiting for the rest of us not so morning people get ready, the kids love getting sodas in them etc., and as you said you take them home and they remind you of your trip every time you use one!

Mara - Where was I? Asleep at the wheel I guess. We ate lunch there on our last trip and I never saw the zebra domes!!! (Kicking myself!) Enjoyed our lunch and thought there was a large selection...maybe too large since our bill was pretty high for counter service (dd got fried shrimp, etc.)

Beaches 'n Cream - I'm like you, I love GOOD burgers and these have always been great in our experience. Always a must do for us.

Looking forward to more reviews!

TY again all!!!

kayeandjim00 - Just want to clarify they are not the thin LARGE patties that Kopps uses, but they are right at the top of our best 10 bugers list!!
DisorBust - We should that would be a ton of fun to have a cheesehead meet!! I know there are several of us running around here.

Epcotgal8 - The zebra domes were packed in a small plastic container with those chocolate mousse things, you got 3 or 4 domes and 2 of the mousse things for about $3 bucks. They are kept in the fridge section near the fruits and other desserts, section closest to the registers.

And I agree I still love my mugs, even if some think I'm stupid for buying one, as a matter of fact I've been using the Mara cup everyday since we got back. I got the newer kind, that has a thin bottom for coffee holders, works great!!! Plus we took them with us to the parks and they kept our water/soda colder longer then in the paper cups they use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter