• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Dining Reviews - Oct 2nd

Pammy_from_WI

<font color=teal>Remember what Ohana means, Pammy?
Ok today we had a birthday party set for 1900 Park Fare so we took it easy this day. I had called several weeks out to order a cake and then called about 3 days before to speak with the pastry chef to be sure it was not a chocolate cake, my GIL hates chocolate! He was very helpful and we talked for about 20 minutes about what he was going to make for her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mara - AKL - Breakfast

My hubby doesn't eat breakfast, so most days my teen and I would go to Mara and get something for her and my toddler, I would just eat the left overs, worked out great for us. My hubby and little one likes to sleep in so we'd get up early, go around hunting for Hidden Mickey's and then get breakfast to take to the room, by then they'd be getting up and Julia would be ready to eat outside and talk to our giraffes.

My daughter got the bagel and egg sandwich with also had a sausage patty on it and cheese. She would then order a side of bacon to add to it. I think she ate those every day, she loved those things. She also got a chocolate milk to go with it. Mara has a nice selection of drinks, ranging from different milks, to juices, teas, and other things, they even had prune juice which I need for my toddler and boy was I happy to see it stocked. I had forgot to get it when we did our stop at the store.

This morning I wanted to try their breakfast potatoes, so I got an order of those with a side of bacon. The bacon was cooked just right, not real crisp, but not too chewy either. The breakfast potatoes had a mild, but somewhat spiced seasoning on them and had peppers, red and green in them and onions. My older daughter didn't care for them, but my toddler and I loved them. Nice change from the typical hashbrowns you usually see. My little one eats just about anything you put in front of her. LOL

I also got a large fruit plate and a plate of just pineapple, got a toddler that loves pinapple. The fruit had red grapes, pineapple, honey dew, cantalope, and watermelon in it. If you got the extra pineapple slices they came with a few whole strawberries, which is another fav for my toddler. The fruit was very fresh and tasty.

Then I got two cups of yogurt for my hubby and toddler, that's the one thing he will eat in the morning.

Everything was excellent once again and the bill was $22.28 for all that. We had our cups which I used to get hot cocoa and soda.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lunch at the AK - Restaurantosaurus

I will note what the other 3 in our party had when I can remember, but I only have our receipts and logs from what we ate, a lot of times we ate at different times.

My toddler was crying for a hot dog, man I hate giving those to her, but she loves them and we were on vacation. LOL So we got her the hot dog meal with fries.

My hubby got the grilled chicken salad thing and said it was good. I didn't try it, but it looked like it was very fresh for a salad and had a lot of chicken in it.

My teen got a 1/4 pound cheese burger with bacon and fries. She said it was good, but said Beaches and Cream was a lot better. Looked like a pretty good burger from what I could see.

This was not a planned stop, we just happened to be in the area at the time and it worked out.

The place was not to busy, easy to find a large table for us all. Service was fast and friendly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1900 Park Fare - Dinner - Birthday Party

Well after we left the AK we headed back to swim for a while and rest for our dinner, we planned on resort hopping and seeing the EWP, but my toddler was really beat and starting to get sick. So once again my sweet hubby offered to stay back at the AKL with her to just rest and swim. I have no idea what they ate, but I think I recall he got the chicken pizza at Mara and said it was pretty good for fast food pizza. My MIL wanted to stay back too, I think this trip was WAY more then she expected. I think she was expecting a Great America trip or something, plus she has bad knees and they were acting up. I do remember she had the shrimp plate from Mara, said it was pretty good, must have been I think she ordered it 2 or 3 times while there.

So the other 4 of us went off to our dinner.

So we got to Park Fare and had about a 15 min wait to be seated. That was fine with me, gave me a chance to have the front desk call over to AKL to check on my little one. They were very nice about helping me out.

It also gave us a few min to explore and listen to the music they had playing. It is one very beautiful resort, but not my cup of tea. Too noisy and sort of stuffy. I'm not sure I'd ever stay there for a long trip, but I would stay there for a short one just to get a better feel for it.

I also want to note the odd bathroom problem there, very odd IMHO, right off 1900 Park Fare toward the lobby is a bathroom, and considering it is a charater meal and the large amounts of kiddies passing through the design is TERRIBLE. It has only 3 stalls and it always had a line. I think there is another near by but we couldn't find it and we couldn't see any others near the lobby either. All the other resorts have pretty large bathrooms off the lobby so this one really surprised me.

Plus there was this really oddball women CM cleaning the bathroom and all she did was complain about all the slobs that use it, in front of us. She was pretty grumpy and I can really feel for bathroom cleaning people, but all she did was whine and moan about messy people and people that don't know how to flush the toilets. Amen to that one, but to say it outloud to us was pretty wierd.

Ok now to dinner, sorry I got off track, LOL.

We started with drinks. I had a glass of St. Michelle which was a white wine, very mild, slight dry bite to it. Nice with the items I choose to eat that night. My GIL had a Manahatten extra dry, she said it was very good. My AIL got a Old Fashioned and my teen got a virgin Raspberry Colada.

Our server was Scott and he was friendly, but we could tell he was a bit rushed due to the crowds. Another server brought over our bread, after we asked for it, and he came by to apologize for forgeting to bring it. No worries we said. I will note this place is LOUD, so if you want a nice quiet dinner, go elsewhere. Wowzers do the voices carry in this place. It was still fun tho and we'd do it again.

Next the chef came over to speak with us, wanted to check if we had any diet restrictions, nope, just reminded him no chocolate, GIL is partly deaf and didn't catch what I was saying.

Then we started the buffet march. I think we all tried everything on there. LOL My daughter even hit the kiddie bar for pizza and said it was very good pizza.

I had fresh shrimp that was icy cold, just the way I like it. I had two helpings of spring rolls, those where excellent. I had two helpings of prime rib, very tender, cooked a little do done, for my tastes, but it was still outstanding. I tried all the various sauces they had, be sure to do that, it really is nice to take a bite with this one or that and really change the flavors of the prime rib. I had some of the red skinned/ sweet potato mash with was also very good and I'm not a big sweet potato fan.

I had some of the shrimp pasta thing they had on the pasta station, it had small shrimp, asaparagus, peas, noodles, and a light cream sauce over it, very tasty. I loved the pasta bar, because they would cook up smaller pans of 3 different pastas and then when they emptied out they would refill. It was nice to have it fresh made, verses sitting on a steam table drying out.

The kids bar had pizza, two kinds. Chicken strips, fries, corn dog nuggets, mac and cheese and I think a few other items.

I also tried all the various salads they had. They also had some sort of fish dish, forgot what kind, but it had a lemon cream sauce on it and it was very good, next to the prime rib, this was my fav thing off their buffet.

After we were all stuffed and thought we could not eat another bite I remembered the strawberry soup. So I got a nice big bowl and we all shared it. GIL loved it, thought is was heaven. My daughter liked it but thought it was odd for soup. My AIL didn't care for it. And me, well I loved it. It was so creamy and nicely chilled it was a nice ending to a wonderful dinner.

My GIL went back for some desserts and kept asking why we weren't. We kept telling her oh we're just resting. LOL Finally they came out with the cake and she was so happy. The cake was a white cake with a white frosting. It was pastry cream filled and so yummy!!! It had Happy Birthday Ethel on it and we all sang Happy Birthday to her. I wish the others could have been here, but I kept saying next time!

She also got a signed placemat that had Alice, Cindy, the mice, the Prince and some others that had signed it for her. It was lamenated so it made a great keepsake for her. She is also partly blind, so she will be able to see it under her viewer when she has time.

Dinner, drinks and the cake came to $140.53 plus tip. I think we left like $25 bucks or something like that. So it was like $170 for us 4, but it well worth it IMHO.

Service was great, Scott came by several times to check on us. The characters were awesome. Took time to sign my teens autograph book and take pics. The face ones also took time to send Julia a get well messages on video tape for her. Cindy blew kisses and said something like I missed you today Princess Julia. I hope I see you soon. I love you! The godmother really got into it and left a good 5 min. message for her, she just kept talking and talking. Plus she sent home fairy dust with her big sister to place under her pillow so she got better fast. I was just about crying the whole time. They were super sweet to do that. And Julia well she saw the video and ate it up, she now requests to talk to them at least once per day since we've been back. Yes, she talks to them via the tv. LOL

After we took a cab back to AKL from GF cost $14 bucks, but we all agreed it was better just to head back and check on Julia and dad and be sure things were ok.

Dad and her were fast asleep and GIL was beat and went to bed, so my teen, my AIL and MIL and I went down to the hottub to relax and have a few beers. Perfect ending to our day, even with Julia being sick it all worked out well.

Pammy

For sharing I enjoyed your interesting review.:wave2: :wizard:

Welcome home! It sounds like you had some GREAT food. I love the food in WDW so much to choose from.
But what I really wanted to say was your DH sounds like a real "KEEPER". My DH was the same way on our last trip. I wanted to take my grandmother w/ us on this trip. So when it got to chilly at night or our DD was tired he would always take her back to the room (we also stayed at AKL) for a swim or to rest and look at the animals. While my DGrandma and I hit the night time shows!

I just read your review aloud to DH and we both enjoyed it. We think that's amazing regarding the video...Disney CM's really go the extra distance don't they?

Thanks...

Thanks everyone!

Milmore104 - My hubby is a keeper. He usually stays home, hates to travel, because he does it for work, so he just gives me money and sends us out the door. LOL This trip he decided to come, he had fun, but said it will be a long time before he goes back. He's great with our little one. And your's sounds like a keeper too!!!!!:D There so hard to find, so hang onto him tight!!

Erikarate - Yes, so of the CMs really go the extra mile. One thing I noticed with the characters was if the place wasn't busy and they had more time to spend with her, they all get in on it together and goof around with each other. Like Chip and Dale were chasing each other about and flipping over a bench and even got my little one going. The handler was even cracking up. I think we played with Chip and Dale for about 15 minutes.

We had a lot of that in the beginning of the trip. Several even picked her up and would spin or bounce with her. Like Tigger cradled her in his arms and hopped about. I know that is a big no no at WDW, but he/she wasn't the only one to do that and it really surprised me and she was in heaven.

I think this time was the most time we've EVER spent with characters. We would find a group and just hang out, until someone else would wander up. My two daughters autogragh books (new, we get a new one each trip) are almost filled, both sides of the pages.

And as far as service we really lucked out on service once again. Our maid at AKL knew my little one was sick and would stop by to check on her and see if whoever was with her needed anything. She was just one example of CMs we ran into down there.

Those are the small things that mean the world to me. And that is why we keep heading back to WDW. Of all the trips we've taken we've only had a few duds for meals and a few jerky CMs.

Pammy

Thanks again for the REALLY detailed reviews!!!

I love reading the opinions of others who can give me a bigger picture of experiences......... :wave2:

Thanks for posting the reviews! the part about the characters doing the video and sending pixie dust actually brought tears to my eyes.

TY and YVW all!!!

Flower - Me too, I spend all the time I can reading the DIS boards, gives me tons of tips and tricks and it helps me remember things I fogot or whatever!

Beth - I think that was one of the things that melted my hubby's anti-Disney heart a little bit more. On his first trip we had several magical things, that even I didn't expect to happen happen and I think those things gave him a small look into why I'm a Disney freak!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter