WDW Family 5K Medal

derekleigh

DIS Veteran
So can we assume the WDW Family 5K (during marathon weekend) will Pluto? The last two years its been him. Plus they would cover all of the Fab 5 (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, & Pluto). Just curious

So can we assume the WDW Family 5K (during marathon weekend) will Pluto? The last two years its been him. Plus they would cover all of the Fab 5 (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, & Pluto). Just curious

The year before the Minnie/10K, the 5K medal had the Fab 5. Before that, Disney themed the 5K medal around new movie releases. I think there was an 'Up' medal and a 'Cars 2' medal a few years ago.

So I don't know if I'd assume they will stick with Pluto going forward but if I had to bet then - yes - my money would be on Pluto for the next few years.

Just as long as it's not Duffy, I'm happy!

2010 - UP and Away
2011 - Buzz and Woody's Best Friends
2012 - Family Fiesta, Three Cabalerros
2013 - 20 Years, Pluto above Donald, Mickey, Goofy, Minnie, Daisy
2014 - Pluto
2015 - Pluto

Note...IMO, the Family feeling during the 5K disappeared starting in 2013.

M&M McFlurry John

2010 - UP and Away 2011 - Buzz and Woody's Best Friends 2012 - Family Fiesta, Three Cabalerros 2013 - 20 Years, Pluto above Donald, Mickey, Goofy, Minnie, Daisy 2014 - Pluto 2015 - Pluto Note...IMO, the Family feeling during the 5K disappeared starting in 2013. M&M McFlurry John

That's pretty disappointing. My kids did the Kids Races back in 2012 but are now too old for that. They could do the "Mickey Mile" but I would like to have them participate in a 5k through a park. Too bad they aren't gearing the 5k to families any more either in the name or the price. With that said, I did Dopey this year so I know I'm part of the problem, paying too much $ and taking up a 5K spot.

That's pretty disappointing. My kids did the Kids Races back in 2012 but are now too old for that. They could do the "Mickey Mile" but I would like to have them participate in a 5k through a park. Too bad they aren't gearing the 5k to families any more either in the name or the price. With that said, I did Dopey this year so I know I'm part of the problem, paying too much $ and taking up a 5K spot.

I don't think the 5K is serving either the family constituent or the Dopey, the race is simply too crowded. The only way for the race to really be a family race would be to severely limit the number of people signing up. I don't picture Disney pulling back on the number of registrations, even if they were to cancel the Dopey.

I guess another possibility would be to essentially run two 5K's by starting the Dopeys at 5:30, basically adding an extra hour to help spread out the field/get the Dopeys done before the family portion. Could have a process to allow parents running the Dopey, but wanting to run the 5K with their kids, to sign up for the later start time. Can't think of a better solution that doesn't involve multiple courses or added park closures.

My thoughts were that there were too many stragglers at the end and cut too close to the theme park opening.

My brother would have taken his infant son in a stroller along and just strolled through the park....but he couldn't.

So they would have to start it earlier.

Eliminate the 5K from Dopey, make the 10K a 15K plus the 1/2 and Full for a new Dopey format.

Opens the 5K back up for a Family Fun Run and makes the Dopey-doers work a little harder for 3 days.

M&M McFlurry John

Eliminate the 5K from Dopey, make the 10K a 15K plus the 1/2 and Full for a new Dopey format.

Opens the 5K back up for a Family Fun Run and makes the Dopey-doers work a little harder for 3 days.

M&M McFlurry John

I like this John.

I have mixed feelings for the Dopey Challenge; I think the idea of a big challenge, however its cuts the opportunity for other runners at the 5K and 10K level to participate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter