WDW First Time December - Shorts & T-shirt?

Baby Ninja

Earning My Ears
Living in northern Alberta where the weather was -26 today with the windchill. Will I be perfectly comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt during my upcoming visit? I realize weather is unpredictable, though I don’t want to be packing around a light jacket or hoodie all day if unnecessary. My fellow Northern Canadians, what are your recommendations please. :thanks:

When in December? I have week before Xmas and worn both hoodies, light jackets at night to shorts and t-shirt.... It is very unpredictable. Mornings and evenings cool with warmer afternoons.
What does the weather say for the time you are there?

I am not from Canada but we visit WDW every December from the north of England, so definitely cold, although not -26! We have had a real mixed bag over the years. We are often at 7/8am EMH in summer clothes with a sweater over, ready for when it warms up, only occasionally do we need jeans/socks etc to keep warm. I would say we have pool/water park afternoon weather about 80-90% of our 17 night trips. We just check out the 10 day forecast before we set off to give us an idea of what to pack that year.

I live in central Maine and am heading to WDW next week. It is in the 40-50 F range here but looks like 60s to 70s in Orlando. I have packed shorts and capris and t-shirts with light long sleeve shirts or light sweaters just in case. Looking forward to my first holiday visit!

My suggestion is to check out a few of the weather websites for Orlando for the week you are going. I look one last time just before I pack at the next weeks weather and haven't been steered wrong yet. Last year when I was in Orlando the first week in December it was definitely shorts and t-shirts. I think I may have worn a sweater once or twice in the evening but that was only because I brought it and felt I should use it.

The weather can vary so wildly at this time of the year the weather websites are your best bet for deciding what to wear. That being said I always fly down in a pair of capris/pants with a light hoodie and jacket. I take gloves and layers in case the weather changes so I guess you could say I'm prepared for everything.

Do not underestimate how cold it can get at night in Florida. If you don't bring some cold weather gear, you will likely find yourself forking out a lot of money on overpriced sweatshirts. We always pack for every type of weather. You can't always trust the extended forecast if you check it just before leaving for Florida as it can change in a heartbeat.

Do not underestimate how cold it can get at night in Florida. If you don't bring some cold weather gear, you will likely find yourself forking out a lot of money on overpriced sweatshirts. We always pack for every type of weather. You can't always trust the extended forecast if you check it just before leaving for Florida as it can change in a heartbeat.

This.

I have been multiple times this time of year. Sometimes with sunshine and warmth the entire time. Sometimes a very damp cold. And sometimes a mixture.

And great information on that extended forecast. Do not rely on it for packing, just for exciting pre-trip joy.

Florida forecasts can and do change in a heartbeat. Heck it can change while you are there.

Here's the biggest issue, in my opinion, that maybe won't affect you since you are used to a lot of cold ---

People do not understand that there is nothing like cold in the south. It's a different beast. It seeps into you like no tomorrow. I could bear 30 degrees colder here than some of that damp feeling.

I rarely get cold. I walk around winter here most days - Toronto - with a poncho and sweater, because it is rarely damp. There was one Christmas down there that I almost cried like a baby about it:rotfl2:, because I felt I would never ever get warm. It really sits with you. I put a laughing icon but it was something.

People who have been down this time of year probably might think this post is dramatic. I know why - they have been down in December and won the weather lottery. I have too on some trips. Gorgeous and warm. Last year I was there for two weeks and every single day was like summer. Even the nights, which is out of the norm this time of year. I was in summer clothes practically the entire two weeks.

But if you get the other, well :sick::drinking1. You will remember it - December 2010! Insert smile. It's best not the roll the dice while packing. Even when you are used to the northern climate.

Regardless, what a fantastic time of year. So envious. Have fun!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the input :thumbsup2
We are travelling Dec 10 - 22 and to be honest, this was the first time in 5 months of planning that I thought about weather! We obviously expect it to be warmer than the -26 Celsius :cool1: though the only time we've been on the Atlantic side was a trip to Cuba in April of 2004 (quite some time ago!). It's still early, so I'll plan to check the weather 3-7 days before and adjust the packing as necessary. The projected forecast for our visit is a low of 9C (48F) and a high of 23(73). Hubby and daughter are natural furnaces, therefore our comfort levels will be a bit different when faced with anything below 15C (59F). I can stand the cold, though when the humidity is high it can be bone chilling. I think my summer cardigans will once again see daylight :wave:. Light to carry and don't wrinkle if shoved in a backpack.

As a resident of Northern Alberta as well, I know that we get that dry bitter cold...but also the -30 with humidity where we have ice fog and all the crap that comes with that too where even your skin hurts just walking from a building to your vehicle. :cold:
We went to Dw last year at the beginning of December. We really lucked out. The weather was super our whole trip. We could wear shorts or capris with short sleeved shirts the whole trip. I bring along a light little zip up hoodie that I wore around my waist on our park days, in case it was cool in the evenings. But honestly, I never wore it once our whole trip. Would I pack it again for our next trip...yes...probably, because you never know when the weather will turn. I packed a little of everything, and if I had to, I would have did a small load of laundry while down there to get through if I felt like I didn't have enough clothes for whatever the weather called for.

We're from Ontario and heading down a week from today. The forecast is 22 and 23 C. and 15 to 17 at night. We are wearing shorts and t shirts. We'd rather tough it if the morning is cool rather than lug around a jacket

I walk around winter here most days - Toronto - with a poncho and sweater, because it is rarely damp.

Funny - I find it very damp here with wind that just cuts through you no matter what you wear (I live about 90 minutes southwest of Toronto). I lived in Edmonton for a few years and much preferred the lower temperatures with the dryness and less wind. I also lived in Montreal where there's lots of snow and wet but not as cold. There's nothing I dislike more than southern Ontario winters. Wet, cold, and windy.

We usually go first two weeks of Dec (not this year unfortunately - just got back from Aulani). We've been when it's been 27-30 deg C and when it's been 15 deg C during that time especially after dark. Sometimes just a day apart. My advice is to bring lightweight pants like khakis, linen or knit pants, maybe some shorts and both long and short-sleeves. We leave Toronto wearing a long sleeved shirt and rain jacket and then buy a fleece in WDW and wear it back under our rain jackets (or sometimes I travel there with a lighter fleece jacket).

Some days we were so hot we ended up back at the hotel in the pool. Other days we wouldn't have gone anywhere near the pool. Some nights at fireworks we were bundled up with fleece jackets, long sleeved shirts, heavier pants and were still cold. Other nights we were in short sleeves and totally comfortable. Basically layers is the way to go. And don't entirely trust the weather forecast even a day or two before you leave.

I am from Winnipeg so I know cold weather! We went in December 2 years ago. Beautiful weather during the day. Shorts and t-shirts! However we needed a sweater for early mornings and some evenings. the wind made it quite chilly. Layers is key.

Enjoy your Trip! December is a wonderful time to visit.

Thanks everyone! Really looking forward to our first trip AND some sun therapy :dancer:I can manage being cool over cold and will perhaps take advantage of a locker to store a hoodie or two on the cooler days.

Funny - I find it very damp here with wind that just cuts through you no matter what you wear (I live about 90 minutes southwest of Toronto). I lived in Edmonton for a few years and much preferred the lower temperatures with the dryness and less wind. I also lived in Montreal where there's lots of snow and wet but not as cold. There's nothing I dislike more than southern Ontario winters. Wet, cold, and windy.

So that makes what I was saying even more valid. I wasn't comparing regions in Canada. Therefore if I live in a windy, cold and wet area - and I am never ever cold here - then imagine what these off times in Florida can be like. Where I feel as though I can never get warm. I have experienced them in Virginia twice during this time period as well.

And the wind does cut right through you here in Toronto, absolutely. I am downtown at the lake and the wind can be something. Agreed about Southern Ontario. I went to university in the Eastern Townships of Quebec, southeast of Montreal. Both places colder, but it felt better being surrounded by snow. Rarely get it where I live.

OP, I have been to WDW during this period over ten times. You will probably hit lovely weather. Because the absolutely majority have been warm and beautiful. And like I said I was there for two weeks last year and even the nights were glorious for two weeks straight, which is uncommon.

These off times are rare. I've just been unlucky enough to hit them twice.

But I will say it again when you get one of those cold damp years/stretches down there, you'll know it.

Most of the posters on here haven't hit those time periods/years in WDW. It's completely obvious to me.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Really looking forward to our first trip AND some sun therapy :dancer:I can manage being cool over cold and will perhaps take advantage of a locker to store a hoodie or two on the cooler days.

Have a wonderful time!

I have to look back but it is this your first time in December, right? If so, you are going to be so thrilled. It's magical.

EDIT: Well I guess your thread title made it apparent it's your first time this time of year! And your questions. :rotfl2::rotfl:. Sorry long day. :laughing::drinking1

Last edited:
First time EVER to WDW and it’s December! Over joyed with excitement :cheer2: We’ve been to Disneyland twice for Halloween (2014 & 2016) and thought we’d like to experience the Holidays. Everything lined up to make it happen this year and will most likely will be our only trip to Florida because of the distance and time loss on travel. Definitely making the most of it, so no cold weather will keep us down! It may only add to the magic and feel more like the Christmas weather we are used to. Couldn’t imagine it without snow :rolleyes:

People do not understand that there is nothing like cold in the south. It's a different beast. It seeps into you like no tomorrow. I could bear 30 degrees colder here than some of that damp feeling.

I rarely get cold. I walk around winter here most days - Toronto - with a poncho and sweater, because it is rarely damp. There was one Christmas down there that I almost cried like a baby about it:rotfl2:, because I felt I would never ever get warm. It really sits with you. I put a laughing icon but it was something.
Having lived 3 winters in Houston I agree about the winters. The cold + higher humidity will chill you to your bones if you're not prepared. As others have said, I think layering is the best idea here. With Black Friday sales upon us you can probably get some lightweight-but-warm jackets to help with that if you don't have them already.

Maybe.... it depends a lot on the cloud cover and the humidity!

I wore my cargo/convertible pants so I can keep the legs long in the morning and roll them up as it gets hotter. Also clothing that wicks, like Columbia sports shirts, and a very light windbreaker/poncho on hand in case it's raining. Most of this stuff either rolls flat or is easily contained in a small pouch. Also I would recommend running shoes with breathable fabric so your feet don't sweat!

Have FUN!

Having lived 3 winters in Houston I agree about the winters. The cold + higher humidity will chill you to your bones if you're not prepared.

Thank you.

And most, thankfully, haven't hit those times.

Maybe.... it depends a lot on the cloud cover and the humidity!

Of course it depends on the cloud cover and humidity, Marcy. And one's luck. Odds are great on not ever feeling it.

First time EVER to WDW and it’s December! Over joyed with excitement :cheer2: We’ve been to Disneyland twice for Halloween (2014 & 2016) and thought we’d like to experience the Holidays. Everything lined up to make it happen this year and will most likely will be our only trip to Florida because of the distance and time loss on travel. Definitely making the most of it, so no cold weather will keep us down! It may only add to the magic and feel more like the Christmas weather we are used to. Couldn’t imagine it without snow :rolleyes:

So very excited for you!! I'm sitting at the computer so incredibly envious! :rotfl::drinking1Feeling all the past joys. Everyone should experience it.

And such a nice, long trip for you too. :thumbsup2

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!