WDW for teens??

yaya74

DIS Veteran
We just spent wonderful 7 days/6 nights at WDW recently. I plan to have my next trip to WDW in 2021 for the 50th anniversary celebration and rides like Tron, Star Wars and Guardian of Galaxy.....

HOWEVER, the paranoid side of me is worrying that my kids, who will be 13 and almost 10, will not enjoy WDW as much as they did when they were younger. For sure they won’t find Wildreness Explorer amusing. They completed the Agent P mission during the recent trip so I don’t think they will do it again next time unless new components are added. Not sure if they will enjoy collecting presses pennies as teenagers....

So I would like to read your experience, with much appreciation, if your kids have enjoyed WDW trips as little ones and teenagers...

:thanks:

My son was almost 12 when we did a mother son trip! It's hands down my favorite trip! He had so much fun. Pin trading with cast members was the highlight of the trip! I even have a picture of him tucked in bed, passed out, with stuffed animals around him. It's also the senior trip he chose! Great fun for "kids" of all ages!

My daughter has been going since age 7. She is now 15 and still loves it. We are here now on day 7 of a 10 day trip. We tour a bit different now because well...you know how teens sleep. More rest and pool time and no rope drops.

I didn't think she would be as into meeting the characters; but she loved it and was just as into it as her 8 year-old brother. We are not doing as much of it; but it still goes over great.

The trips change as they get older, but they are still a lot of fun. They may not find Wilderness Explorer amusing, and they may not want to do pressed pennies, but there will be other things that they do like. My boys are 17 and 15, and we had a great time in June. It was their 11th trip (they were 3 and 1 the first time), and while they don't enjoy some of the things they loved when they were younger, there is plenty that they do like--even the 17 year old. The 15-yo still wanted to do Agent P, but the 17-yo didn't participate; he said he had done it so many times that he had them all memorized, and that's okay. The 17-yo went off on his own one night to do the Sorcerers of the MK game, which really surprised me, but he had fun.

I have found that as they have gotten older, they don't want to spend more than a day at Magic Kingdom. Heresy, I know, but they want to be at HS (Star Wars) and Epcot, which they have always loved. Oldest has never liked AK and was planning to skip that day entirely this time, but we asked him to come with us and see what he thought of FoP; he really liked it, enough that he asked to go back later in the trip and do it again. They like the water parks, and on our last trip, we spent our afternoon break at a water park 3 times and one full day at a water park. We don't do character meals anymore, and they prefer to do mostly QS and not sit in restaurants for a long time. We do 1 or 2 TS meals over a 10 day trip and that is enough for them. They haven't wanted to meet characters for a few years, but they got into pin trading.

As long as you don't go into it expecting them to want to do all of the things they did when they were little, and you have an open mind about the things they want to do, it will be fine. They may surprise you and still do some of those things. You do have to make it clear if something is important to YOU also.

My boys have always loved trips to WDW and Disneyland. Both places are still our family's #1 choice for vacations. Our next WDW trip will be in November when the boys will be 23 and 20. They are both avid readers of Disney trivia, history, park updates, etc. Our trips have changed over the years. We tend to split up when everyone doesn't want to do the same things. I usually end up with older DS (we're not thrill seekers), while DH and younger DS hit the coasters together. If everyone doesn't want to stay late for fireworks, some can stay and some can call it a night. It's also kind of nice if someone wants to sleep late (older DS is famous for this). I don't hassle him to hurry up. He has the choice to meet up with us later.

It really depends on the indivdual, my one ds was pretty much done with WDW when he was 13, my other ds still enjoyed it at that age. He has no desire to go back now at 15 though.
My dd is 20 now and has never stopped loving WDW.

My DS10 has been going yearly since he was 1 and the trips are still fun, but they just change throughout the years. For our upcoming trip in August, he's looking forward to going to ESPN and playing the games on the Boardwalk at night, doing all the big rides, going to the pool and hoping he's tall enough to peddle a surrey bike on the Boardwalk. I told him we are going to the Bon Voyage breakfast and he is definitely not thrilled with that. There is so much to do at WDW that appeals to older kids. If it's still there, take them to The Void, water parks, maybe a special tour (DS loved Wild Africa Trek), do all the big rides.

thank you all for your lovely stories about your teens in wdw. i am definitely encouraged and looking forward to taking my kids back to WDW when they are older... now i just need to focus on filling those piggy banks.... need tons of them.

wishing you all more magical Disney trips to come!!

I would discuss it with them when you book your trip for 2021, probably in 2020. Are they into fast coasters? Maybe a combo WDW/US trip would be something they would enjoy, or even a WDW/cruise or beach combo.

By that time, my kids will be 15 and 12. I hope they will still want to go to WDW. I know I loved DL at that age!

Depends on the kid.

I took my kids when they were 15 and 9. DS15 complained about most everything the entire trip and really put a buzzkill on the trip. DD9 still loved it.

DS went back this March for his senior trip and loved it and wants to go back as a family.

I'm taking DD12 on a mother daughter trip this November. Let's see how this goes.

I'm thinking of a family trip in 2021 when they are 21 and 15. DS said he is all in.

My 13 and 18 year olds still love it and act like big kids when there. They still get excited for characters and still love the rides, even the kiddie ones like Dumbo. But they’re girls, not sure how it is for teen boys.

It totally depends on the kids. My DS12 would have no interest--he's all about the wizard across town. OTOH, my oldest (now 23) probably wouldn't have picked it at 13, but she would have gone, not complained, and enjoyed seeing the joy her younger siblings got out of it. I have a couple who wouldn't not enjoyed it, and let me know on a daily basis that they would have picked differently.

That said, it's tough to know today, what would be the right way for your kids in 3 years. I suggest you tentatively plan on going, but about a year out, talk to them about it. Not just talk, but really listen to them--are they agreeing to make you happy? Do they seem genuinely excited? Would they rather go anywhere else? Would they be fine, so long as you threw in a couple days at Universal? Disney has a fair amount for teens and adults, and there are plenty of kids who enjoy going to WDW, at any age. But I do think, when you're talking about teens/tweens, you're going to get a lot more enthusiasm if they feel like they're included in the planning. And a nice thing is, you don't have to worry so much about naps, you can do late-night stuff, they don't need the watching every second, they could go on thrill rides--having older kids has its advantages.

I am 23 and have traveled to Disney every year since I was 17! I also took some trips when I was in middle and high school. There are things to do for people of all ages. You just have to do your research! And remind your kids that they are not "too cool" for Disney, something I hear from lots of teenagers these days. Lol.

Just want to say that if they liked Agent P's WS adventure, they'll LOVE Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom on your next trip!

My DGD has been going since she was 4 and approaching 17 she is still excited to go. Every trip is different, and it is important to recognize that as kids age, their interests change so be aware that what you remember them loving may be as boring as paint drying to them. My DSIL and DD also add more things that DGD may enjoy. Last trip they were all about that Pokémon thing, so that was a distraction for her. This next trip DSIL may want to continue, but the 17 YO will participate only because she enjoys her Dad..... kind of funny, she indulged dad in this, not the other way around! LOL!!

I would ask the kids what "extra they want. Agent P? Sorcerers? Hunting special Hidden Mickey's? Shows or attractions that they were too young for? You amy be surprised how much input a teen can have in a trip.

Enjoy!

Depends on the kid.

I took my kids when they were 15 and 9. DS15 complained about most everything the entire trip and really put a buzzkill on the trip. DD9 still loved it.

OMH! I remember! I was surprised your boy was still breathing when you got him home, and as a Nana I confess to getting a chuckle at your expense. Our trip from hell was when my own oldest was 12. We saved and saved, and spent a fortune. 10 days over Christmas in FL, beginning at Daytona Beach and the area attractions, and ending in WDW over New Years booked in the CR tower. I saw a flyer in our room stating that with 4 days in WDW we could have had 3 days on the Big Red Boat. DH was glad we missed it....he said he would have thrown them all overboard! LOL! DOnny was a pill throughout the trip, and to this day at 42, yes I said at 42 years of age....he still insists I scarred HIM for life!

My DGD has been going since she was 4 and approaching 17 she is still excited to go. Every trip is different, and it is important to recognize that as kids age, their interests change so be aware that what you remember them loving may be as boring as paint drying to them. My DSIL and DD also add more things that DGD may enjoy. Last trip they were all about that Pokémon thing, so that was a distraction for her. This next trip DSIL may want to continue, but the 17 YO will participate only because she enjoys her Dad..... kind of funny, she indulged dad in this, not the other way around! LOL!!

I would ask the kids what "extra they want. Agent P? Sorcerers? Hunting special Hidden Mickey's? Shows or attractions that they were too young for? You amy be surprised how much input a teen can have in a trip.

Enjoy!

OMH! I remember! I was surprised your boy was still breathing when you got him home, and as a Nana I confess to getting a chuckle at your expense. Our trip from hell was when my own oldest was 12. We saved and saved, and spent a fortune. 10 days over Christmas in FL, beginning at Daytona Beach and the area attractions, and ending in WDW over New Years booked in the CR tower. I saw a flyer in our room stating that with 4 days in WDW we could have had 3 days on the Big Red Boat. DH was glad we missed it....he said he would have thrown them all overboard! LOL! DOnny was a pill throughout the trip, and to this day at 42, yes I said at 42 years of age....he still insists I scarred HIM for life!

My son has since apologized for his behavior and hates bringing it up! lol OMG had we done an fireworks cruise the kid may have ended up overboard too!!!!

My son has since apologized for his behavior and hates bringing it up! lol OMG had we done an fireworks cruise the kid may have ended up overboard too!!!!
LOL!!! Donny has not! He had a miserable time from his commando Mom. We all needed a vacation when we returned! LOL!

We leave next week and I'm pretty sure ds17 is still excited about it (he's a man of few words) but the things he's looking forward to are different this time than they were even the last time (he was 14 then). He's a foodie, so that's the part he's waiting for (and we get deluxe dining so we can enjoy that part without worrying if he wants the most expensive meal). He requested that I book the princess breakfast at Akershus.....he says for the food, I'm sure the pretty princesses don't hurt ;) and he can't wait for the "the cookies that look like krabby patties" :rotfl2: (macaroons at California Grill Brunch):lmao:

Anyhow, there's also quite a bit of freedom we allow him at Disney that he didn't get at home when he was 14 (now of course he does). If he wanted to sleep in and join us later or head back to the hotel early we allowed it. Between Disney transportation and cell phones I think a responsible kid should be encouraged to explore on their own a bit if they want and allowing him to get some extra sleep made for a more pleasant trip for all of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!