• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Half Marathon - drive or take the bus?

MeridaAndAngus

If you had a chance to change your fate would you
I'm looking for recommendations on whether to drive our rental car to the WDW half marathon this Saturday morning, or to take the rD bus.

Here's the background:

This is my first half, and my first rD race at WDW. DH will be attending but not running. We are staying at All Star Sports. I'm planning to go to Epcot extra early so I can try to get to the front of my corral. DH is going to sleep a bit more, and then come to Epcot to meet me at the finish and then go hop on a ride or two at Epcot after the race.

I'm a slower runner (run-walker), so I'm guessing by the time I pause for photos, I will probably finish sometime around Epcot opening hours.

We are trying to decide on one of these options:

1. I take the bus to Epcot in the morning for the race. DH will drive the rental car to Epcot around 8:30am to go to the finish line area. My only concern with this is if he'll have trouble due to any road closures?

2. I take the rental car to Epcot, & that'll give me a home base in case I decide I want to sit someplace warm before hiking out to the corrals. DH will take the park bus from All Star Sports to Epcot to arrive around 8:30am. My only concern with this is will he be able to get to Epcot around 8:30am? I haven't taken a park bus in a while, so I don't remember how early they run if a park opens at 9am.

Race transportation buses go back and forth from the resorts from 3-5am and from 7-11am for the half marathon so he could get on one of those buses if he wants to get there earlier.

I figure the runners will have an easier time with traffic with the car that early. With closures and delays it doesn't sound like fun for later drivers. So I am taking our rental and DH and DS will take the bus.

I figure the runners will have an easier time with traffic with the car that early. With closures and delays it doesn't sound like fun for later drivers. So I am taking our rental and DH and DS will take the bus.

What time do you plan on driving over? I'm running the full on Sunday and am staying at the Bonnet Creek resort (on property) that does have a bus, but decided I would drive so I could eat and rest in the warm car before heading to the corrals. I don't mind leaving a bit early to beat the traffic?

What time do you plan on driving over? I'm running the full on Sunday and am staying at the Bonnet Creek resort (on property) that does have a bus, but decided I would drive so I could eat and rest in the warm car before heading to the corrals. I don't mind leaving a bit early to beat the traffic?

I don't think Bonnet Creek has Marathon Event Transportation. Only taxi service at $24 will be available. I would be in my car and moving by 3:15 a.m. Buena Vista Dr. at World Dr. will be stop-and-go by 3:30-3:40 a.m (mostly stop).

I don't think Bonnet Creek has Marathon Event Transportation. Only taxi service at $24 will be available. I would be in my car and moving by 3:15 a.m. Buena Vista Dr. at World Dr. will be stop-and-go by 3:30-3:40 a.m (mostly stop).

Actually, the Hilton Bonnet Creek does provide bus service starting at 3 AM if you are staying at the hotel for marathon weekend. They even have a breakfast spread starting at 2:30 AM :banana:

My current plan was to follow one of the buses just after 3 from the Hilton.

Actually, the Hilton Bonnet Creek does provide bus service starting at 3 AM if you are staying at the hotel for marathon weekend. They even have a breakfast spread starting at 2:30 AM :banana:

My current plan was to follow one of the buses just after 3 from the Hilton.

That's good to know. Hilton Bonnet Creek: yes; Wyndham Bonnet Creek: no, right?

Blue wristband, issued by runner concierge in the Hilton lobby, to board the Hilton bus. Got it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter