WDW Half Marathon Transportation and Timing Questions

prncssjas

Running, Disney, Aladdin...
Good afternoon everyone,

DH and I will be running the Half Marathon in January and this will be our first runDisney event. I would appreciate any information/insight from those of you who have run the half marathon in January before. I have read online that the buses start running at 3:30am to host resorts (we are staying at the Grand Floridian). Once we both finish the race, how long does it typically take to get BACK to your resort (assuming you rest for a short while, grab your water/banana, take a quick pic or two, and then head back)? I am only asking because I made a brunch reservation at Chef Mickeys (Contemporary Resort) at 1pm and want to make sure we will be back in time. :-) We expect to be finished with our half races in two hours (or less), assuming we start by 6am (given corral time and all). Is this do-able?

Also, will there be ESPN-complex specific buses that will take us from the GF to packet pick up on Thursday or Friday? I assume, yes??

Any other insight/advice/thoughts would be SUPER appreciated. Thank you!!!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

You should be fine.

I know for sure yes they do have buses to and from packet pick up. All WDW resorts are host resorts for marathon weekend.

Can't imagine you would have difficulty making a 1 PM reservation. Buses back to the hotel after the half are usually relatively quick (they have generally dialed in their transportation system by Saturday); though I have no specific knowledge for the Grand Floridian. Expo buses run from all of the resorts and are specifically marked. Packet pick-up has been a relatively painless process for myself and my group for the last four years, even when we were new to the process.

Other than that I can only say that it is a great weekend (probably why we keep going back) and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

No buses for the race from GF, I think monorail is the only option. I don't have a good sense of the time it will take after finishing but would give it a good 45+ minutes as it is a bit of a walk to the monorail from the finish line then the trip to TTC and transfer is a good bit of time too.

Thank you everyone! This is super helpful. So if it's monorail only from the GF to the race start, I assume can return that way right? Sorry if that's an obvious question...just want to hear it from those who have done it. Thank you! :)

Good afternoon everyone,

DH and I will be running the Half Marathon in January and this will be our first runDisney event. I would appreciate any information/insight from those of you who have run the half marathon in January before. I have read online that the buses start running at 3:30am to host resorts (we are staying at the Grand Floridian). Once we both finish the race, how long does it typically take to get BACK to your resort (assuming you rest for a short while, grab your water/banana, take a quick pic or two, and then head back)? I am only asking because I made a brunch reservation at Chef Mickeys (Contemporary Resort) at 1pm and want to make sure we will be back in time. :-) We expect to be finished with our half races in two hours (or less), assuming we start by 6am (given corral time and all). Is this do-able?

Also, will there be ESPN-complex specific buses that will take us from the GF to packet pick up on Thursday or Friday? I assume, yes??

Any other insight/advice/thoughts would be SUPER appreciated. Thank you!!!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
The buses for the half and full start at 3am,for the 5k its 4:15 and 3:30am for the 10k.All resorts are host resorts for the January marathon weekend.There are buses from all the resorts Wednesday thru Saturday going to WWOS for the expo,you will see signs at the front of the hotels lobby for the pick up area.The buses will run until around 7:30 Wednesday thru Friday and only until 3:30pm on Saturday.If you're staying at a monorail resort for the race you won't be taking a bus to the race,its monorail to the TTC and transfer to the Epcot monorail,for the expo you take a bus.If your corral starts at 6:15am as an example and you finish in 2:10,you'll be done around 8:30am,another 30-45 minutes to get your medal,grab your Run Disney food box and drinks and just chill out for a while you could be on a monorail back to the TTC at 9:15 and back at the GF at 9:40am,plenty of time.

Last edited:
The buses for the half and full start at 3am,for the 5k its 4:15 and 3:30am for the 10k.All resorts are host resorts for the January marathon weekend.There are buses from all the resorts Wednesday thru Saturday going to WWOS for the expo,you will see signs at the front of the hotels lobby for the pick up area.The buses will run until around 7:30 Wednesday thru Friday and only until 3:30pm on Saturday.If you're staying at a monorail resort for the race you won't be taking a bus to the race,its monorail to the TTC and transfer to the Epcot monorail,for the expo you take a bus.If your corral starts at 6:15am as an example and you finish in 2:10,you'll be done around 8:30am,another 30-45 minutes to get your medal,grab your Run Disney food box and drinks and just chill out for a while you could be on a monorail back to the TTC at 9:15 and back at the GF at 9:40am,plenty of time.

Thank you SO much! This is exactly what I wanted to read...thanks for all the detail. :-) By any chance can you share what's in the runDisney food box? I didn't know we received them! YAH! :-)

It usually varies,but you'll find tortilla chips,hummus or a cheese spread,goldfish crackers,craisins,a clif bar or a protein bar,some sort of fruit snacks,that sort of stuff.

Thank you SO much! This is exactly what I wanted to read...thanks for all the detail. :-) By any chance can you share what's in the runDisney food box? I didn't know we received them! YAH! :-)

For the last couple years there has been a line of tables with dasani water and powerade after the medal handout. After a picture stop there is a banana and food box handout. The food box has included a clif bar (varieties vary from box to box), some tortilla chips, a white cheddar cheese dip, a cookie, and I think a couple things I am forgetting. It's not extensive, but it's not bad. I am sure it is all contingent on sponsors, so it could change.

Thank you everyone! This is super helpful. So if it's monorail only from the GF to the race start, I assume can return that way right? Sorry if that's an obvious question...just want to hear it from those who have done it. Thank you! :)

The info you have been given seems pretty accurate from what I have heard. I just wanted to add that you should really try to enjoy the weekend. Try not to stress about the details. It's Disney, everything is taken care of and clearly marked as far as busses and stuff. Just remember to bring your waivers from home. You can print them at the Expo but who wants to wait in line to print it and slow the process down?

I ran my first runDisney race in October when I did the Tower of Terror 10 Miler. I was nervous leading up to it for all the same reasons. But it went so smoothly. It was such an awesome time. Now I am headed back in January for the marathon and I can't wait. On a side note, I wish I was staying at the GF. I love that hotel!!! Just enjoy the whole experience!!!

The hummus was in my tot 2013 box but wasn't in the next two January event or DL half boxes. Horrid cheese stuff and everything is inedible. Some rice puffs and a cranberry thing? Bring back the hummus. (But others said no one wanted hummus which is why it's gone)

The info you have been given seems pretty accurate from what I have heard. I just wanted to add that you should really try to enjoy the weekend. Try not to stress about the details. It's Disney, everything is taken care of and clearly marked as far as busses and stuff. Just remember to bring your waivers from home. You can print them at the Expo but who wants to wait in line to print it and slow the process down?

I ran my first runDisney race in October when I did the Tower of Terror 10 Miler. I was nervous leading up to it for all the same reasons. But it went so smoothly. It was such an awesome time. Now I am headed back in January for the marathon and I can't wait. On a side note, I wish I was staying at the GF. I love that hotel!!! Just enjoy the whole experience!!!

Thanks to all! This is good insight! And yes, waiting2goback, I am trying not to fret the small details but I'd rather be prepared! DH will be totally chill while I am freaking out. LOL! :rotfl2: I am really excited for the race itself and this will be the first time we have built a vacation around it! Woo hoo!! Thank you again. :jumping1:

The lines getting onto the monorail at Epcot after the races can look a little daunting, but they move pretty quickly, so don't panic when you see them! :) They pack you in pretty tightly and after a race it can be a little tight, hot and stinky, but at that point, you just want to get back for a nice shower, so you just don't care. Also, you may have to go through bag check to get through the gates for the monorail depending on the time. Have fun!

The hummus was in my tot 2013 box but wasn't in the next two January event or DL half boxes. Horrid cheese stuff and everything is inedible. Some rice puffs and a cranberry thing? Bring back the hummus. (But others said no one wanted hummus which is why it's gone)

I hate hummus but I loved the cheese dip :) they have had those squeezable apple sauce pacekts lately too. And some sort of chocolate. I think princess had a ferrero roche ball. I do not remember either cranberry or rice puffs though in February, so there is a silver lining??

The lines getting onto the monorail at Epcot after the races can look a little daunting, but they move pretty quickly, so don't panic when you see them! :) They pack you in pretty tightly and after a race it can be a little tight, hot and stinky, but at that point, you just want to get back for a nice shower, so you just don't care. Also, you may have to go through bag check to get through the gates for the monorail depending on the time. Have fun!

Dear Minniebeth,
Thank you so much! I appreciate this small detail! I can picture myself at the end, tired, smelly, and anxious to get back...LOL! But this is good to know. I am super excited....can't wait. Thank you!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter