WDW Horseback riding?

rab

Earning My Ears
Anyone ever gone on the 45-minute horseback ride? My teenagers want to do that and I wanted to know what it was :D

I never went but the trail rides are at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds. I believe you need to make reservations and I think it runs about 16-20 dollars. I understand the horses are all pretty mild. A guide takes you out and it is only a walking trail. Supposedly even the inexperienced can handle it.

I think I read somewhere that the price is going to $32 at some point soon. Probably will be something we do. Thanks.:bounce:

We did this on our honeymoon. It is a pretty tame ride (which is what my DH needed). You basically go up a path for awhile following the horse in front of you. Eventually you kind of turn directions and head back to the barn. I think if your kids don't ride very often than this would be fun. If they are experienced at all they would be bored.

I agree that the ride was pretty boring. My 2 DD's & I, did the ride a year ago for my oldest's 15th B-day. I was even surprised to see not a single animal! No wild life at all. This ride was done in the afternoon, to be timed with my youngest's nap, but we thought we'd see something, anything. According to my DD's they wouldn't do it again.

Did this a week ago in the late morning. It's $32 for about a 45 minute, 2 mile ride. It's just walking but I enjoyed it...relaxing. Ask for Bear - he was a good horse!!

tigger.gif

You may end up being separated from your family on this ride (which sometimes can be a good thing!). My horse and my husbands did not get along, so we spent the 45 minutes at different ends of the line.

I ride; he doesn't. It was quite boring for me; I could find many other uses for that $64.00!!

Is this something you would let a 12 and 15 year old to do by themselves if we waited for them?

rab,
oh, for sure!!!!! It is incredibly safe, the horses are "bomb proof".
Practically comatose.
I have been riding since I was 5 (the day after dirt was found) and these are without a doubt the calmest animals I have ever ridden.

Hi,

My 11-year old daughter, who rides, was bored. I don't ride and I found it fun and relaxing. :)

-Gabrielle

Both my daughters don't ride so I think they will enjoy it. My 15 year old took a riding lesson and an hour of riding when she visited her grandparents last year, and she loved it. My 12 year just loves animals so I think it'll work for her.

Next question is if my husband and I ride, how sore will we be?

When we did this on our honeymoon (not recommended) we were very sore. Also, I would recommend long shorts or pants.

I would not think you should be sore. But, do wear long pants and no sneakers, shoes with heels on them.

Agree completely with Gail...the horses are as "bomb proof" as you'll find anywhere (that means that, as far as horses are concerned, it's pretty safe).

For the experienced horseperson, this will likely be a boring experience. The group walks the entire way, the terrain is not challenging, and the horses practically steer themselves.

We have horses but still decided to try Disney's version of a trail ride. We took an early morning trip and did see some deer and a jackrabbit. The ride was fun because our expectations of it were not the same as what we'd have back home on our own horses.

Your 15 and 12 year olds should just love it. If you haven't ridden a horse recently, you will probably be a little saddle sore but nothing that will slow you down (IMO).

Walt's Assistant,
LOL, I liked your post. Made me think. We raised, trained and showed Arabs and they are NOT like Disney horses. ;)

Sounds like something we will do. It'll be fun. T.C. Mattoon, I did have to laugh about riding the horses on your honeymoon and being sore, but I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time. Take care.

Gail, we love Arabians. We were boarding some at out barn for awhile; they were a joy to the eye!

We have a Morgan gelding and a Quarterhorse gelding. We mostly trailride though my wife is into dressage (training level right now).

The Disney version of a trail ride is nice for people who don't ride normally or who have never tried it before. We did it simply because we were in the mood for a ride and wanted to see what it was like. We're glad we did it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter