WDW Legend making first trip to California! Simple Questions

DJ Disney Kid

Walt Disney World Vet
So I'm planning the family trip to DL for the first time for our sons 6th birthday. We live in Florida and know every in and out of WDW but have never been to Disneyland.

• Is October a good time to go? I assume kids are in school and crowds would be minimal and this is around his birthday.
  • Disneyland still uses the old paper fastpass system? I've heard Radiator Springs Racers is the main attraction to run too for a paper fastpass, but are there any others that I really need to chase down? Indiana Jones? Not concerned with Star Wars Land rides as we have those here.
  • Is there a Disneyland my disney experience app or anything that you can use to see wait times, etc?
  • Any other major differences that might surprise a WDW vet when they show up to DL? I'm not thinking of the sizes of the parks or anything, just differences that could hinder the experience if you don't know before you go.
Thanks!!

Is October a good time to go?
Avoid the days around Columbus Day, which is often when there are a lot of fall breaks for schools in CA, AZ, and UT. Fall Break is also known as the week when all of UT and AZ go to Disneyland. :-) Gay Days Anaheim this fall is 10/2 - 10/4. We've been to DL during Gay Days and it's fine and doesn't make a huge impact on crowds in my opinion.

October is a very popular time of year to go to Disneyland, but not as busy as over Christmas. The HM ride overlay is really great.

Does Disneyland still use the old paper FP system?
Yes and no. DL doesn't use FP+. Nor are there really paper FPs anymore. There are still FP kiosks and using the kiosk-based FP system is no cost. DL also now has Max Pass, which you can purchase for $15/day per ticket. There should be a sticky thread on here about it I think. Max Pass is awesome.

RSR still runs out of FP every day. IJ is also very popular. Our family prefers to use FP to ride it in the morning because IJ has a tendency to break down, so we kind of figure that if we get on it before lunch time, then our odds are pretty good of not running into a break down later on.

Is there an app you can use to see wait times?
DL does have a smart phone app. It's called "Disneyland." Has pretty much the same layout and feel as the My Disney Experience app that WDW uses. Does all of the same stuff that the MDE app does with the exception of you can't get FP+ on it. If you purchase Max Pass, you can use the Disneyland app to book FPs. Otherwise if you don't have Max Pass, you can use that app to see what the return times are for FPs. The DL app also has info on:

- restaurant locations & menus
- mobile ordering for Quick Service restaurants
- entertainment schedule & locations
- times & places to find characters for meet & greets. By the way, there aren't any FP for characters at DL.
- wait times for rides
- current FP return times for rides (i.e., if you pulled a FP right now, what would the 1-hour return window be)
- what your next FP is for & when

Other major differences between WDW & DL:
There's a really great thread called something like "DL for WDW veterans" that provides a good explanation of the differences between the two.

So I'm planning the family trip to DL for the first time for our sons 6th birthday. We live in Florida and know every in and out of WDW but have never been to Disneyland.

• Is October a good time to go? I assume kids are in school and crowds would be minimal and this is around his birthday.
  • Disneyland still uses the old paper fastpass system? I've heard Radiator Springs Racers is the main attraction to run too for a paper fastpass, but are there any others that I really need to chase down? Indiana Jones? Not concerned with Star Wars Land rides as we have those here.
  • Is there a Disneyland my disney experience app or anything that you can use to see wait times, etc?
  • Any other major differences that might surprise a WDW vet when they show up to DL? I'm not thinking of the sizes of the parks or anything, just differences that could hinder the experience if you don't know before you go.
Thanks!!

Yes, Disneyland still uses the paper FastPasses. However, they now also offer MaxPass, which allows you to book FastPasses from your phone, gets you free PhotoPass, shortens the window between getting FPs from 2 hours to 90 minutes, and it allows you to book FPs that others have cancelled. It makes your life much easier. It is available for $15/day/person. You can purchase it day of after you enter the park or when you buy your tickets, BUT if you add MaxPass when you buy the tickets, you must add MaxPass to your entire length of ticket-which I recommend. If you don't want to add it to your entire ticket, you will need to buy it each day after you enter the turnstiles.

RSR is indeed the hot FP at DCA, followed by Guardians. I can't speak for what will happen when the GE attractions are added to FP, but right now at DL Space Mountain, Indy, and the Matterhorn are the first FPs to go.

Yes, Disneyland has their own app. It's very similar to WDW's.

Major differences and/or good things to know:
1. This is the big one: Fireworks, Fantasmic, and night parades (if running) DO NOT run during the week except for Christmas, Spring Break, or Summer. If you want to see any of these shows, you will need to add at least one weekend day to your trip. World of Color typically runs nightly.
2. If you are interested in the Halloween party at DCA, tickets tend to sell out very, VERY early. Like, August.
3. The best place to stay is anywhere within walking distance, preferably on Harbor Blvd across the street from the parks (the pedestrian entrance is across the street from the IHOP). These Harbor Blvd. hotels are basic, but much cheaper than the Disney hotels and often closer to the actual gates. The Disney hotels are nice but expensive and they don't have the same level of perks as the ones at WDW. Driving or taking a shuttle to the parks eats up a lot of time, and parking is not particularly efficient in the way it is at WDW.
4. The resort is often very slow at posting hours and entertainment schedules (although once they are up they rarely change). Things often aren't totally finalized until around two weeks before your trip. The best way to know what to expect is to view the historical park hours, which I believe are linked somewhere on this page.
5. If the parks open early, especially if they open at 8, go! The locals sleep in and/or can't get to the parks at opening, and so the parks typically aren't busy until around 11. You can get tons of things done in those pre-11 hours, far more than at any other time of day.
6. The parks also don't die down at night to nearly the same level that WDW parks do. You can certainly walk on Pirates and Mansion at the end of the day, but other parts of the park stay hopping right up to park closing.
7. Special operating hours: Toontown typically opens an hour after the rest of the park and closes for the night about an hour before the fireworks. The boats stop operating around 4 or so if Fantasmic is running the same night. Many Fantasyland attractions will close around Fireworks time and reopen after inspection once the Fireworks are completed.
8. Get hoppers. Bag check/security are outside the parks and Downtown Disney and you do not have to go through it again to go between parks. Parkhopping often takes around five minutes. With a parkhopper, the entire resort is at your fingertips at all times.
9. DLR isn't nearly as focused on Table Service as WDW; don't feel like you need to do it every day. Reservations open 60 days out; Blue Bayou, dessert parties, and (presumably; no firsthand experience on this one) character meals go fastest; generally speaking, the others don't go particularly fast and you could potentially get same-day availability.
10. Character interactions tend to be more spontaneous and less planned out and organized (although you do have your standard Mickey meet & greet opportunity and some others too). No character M&Gs offer FP.
11. DLR is best enjoyed in at least three days. If you're a big fan, or want a more leisurely approach, 4 or 5 work better.

Finally, the most important thing is to treat Disneyland as its own entity and not as WDW West. In many ways, expecting Disneyland to operate just as WDW does is recipe for vacation failure. And really take the time to explore Disneyland and do all the "little things"; the park has many rewards if you do so.

At a high level, in my opinion, here's what's different about DL compared to WDW:

1. Character meet & greets are a lot more fluid and organic at DL. Several characters just roam around. Many don't have a photopass photographer with them. There are no FPs to meet characters, but you really don't need it at DL. Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Alice, and the Mad Hatter regularly roam around Fantasyland in the morning...no photographers around and sometimes even no character handler. Peter Pan plays games with kids. It's really great.
  2. Eating at TS restaurants is not as huge an event or as big a deal at DL. So don't stress that you can't get ADRs 180 days ahead of time. 60 days beforehand is just fine and at DL, the earliest you can reserve is 60 days beforehand.
  3. DL doesn't publish it's park hours or entertainment schedule until 6 weeks ahead of time.
  4. Max Pass is awesome and worth the $$.
  5. If you can afford park hopper tickets, you totally should get them because it's so easy to hop from DL to DCA and back again. It's less than walking from the Magic Kingdom main gate to the ferry landing.

Your biggest difference is going to be the simplicity and “chill” of disneyland. Maxpass as mentioned above is worth it’s weight in gold. Also park hopping is breeze.

take all that “hardest ride to get a FP” for from Disneyworld and throw it out the window.

with Disneyland’s fast pass system you will get to ride every ride you want with little hassle.. and multiple times in a trip if you want. The exception will be rise of the resistance of course.

I would add:

1. No dining plan is available at Disneyland. Special events like dessert parties or dining packages book up quickly at the 60-day mark (or whenever they get around to loading them into the system) but almost everything else is pretty chill to get reservations a couple weeks out. Blue Bayou probably books up the fastest.
2. Single rider lines are great for you to ride anything your son doesn't want to ride. There are TEN single rider lines between the 2 parks.
3. Indiana Jones will be closing at some point later this spring for a multi-month renovation. No idea when or how long, but I'd suspect it would be done by October. It's probably the second ride to run out of FPs within Disneyland, after Space Mountain.
4. Disneyland has a lot of great live entertainment options, drawing on the LA/Hollywood pool of talent. Highlights for me would be: the new daytime parade debuting end of February, Frozen show, Mickey and the Magical Map, Disneyland band, and even the small-scale Storytelling at Royal Theatre.

PHXscuba

After our October 2019 trip, we will never go in October again. At least, not the first 2.5 weeks in October. It was so crowded..... several CMs told us they thought the only time with higher crowds was the week between Christmas and NYE. We were there on Columbus Day and the Tuesday after.... the week before was even worse due to so many surrounding states having fall break. If you want to go in October, I’d go the last week.

I guess I wouldn't necessarily call it paper FastPass. But there is still FastPass. Some machines still spit out a paper receipt, but those are no longer accepted like a ticket. Some of the machines have a display that will show the return time, but won't put out a receipt. Before they were de facto tickets that could be given away, but now FP is tied to the Disneyland admission ticket.

However, there's the Disneyland app available on iOS or Android. There are several things mentioned, but the most important is wait times and ticket scanning. You could purchase your tickets or scan your tickets. Once your ticket is loaded into the app, you can view your FastPass return time and perhaps even purchase MaxPass, which allow you to reserve FastPasses regardless of your location and via the app, as long as your ticket has been used for entry. You wouldn't be able to reserve FastPasses from you hotel room before entering the park. Once you have the tickets in your app you usually won't need your paper tickets unless it's a few select FastPass machines that only

FastPass return is done by scanning your ticket (either paper or the virtual one on the Disneyland app) in a reader. The light will turn green (I think) and CMs with smartphones will be monitoring the activity. There's also a virtual FP on the phone, but it's my understanding that the 2D code displayed is really just for the Disneyland ticket.

The app is great too in other ways. When we added a day to our tickets, the app automatically updated with the new ticket number and the new number of days. We were asked for our physical tickets though to cancel.

You'll also need to get your photo taken on your first entry and possibly whenever you add a day. That's the way they enforce the nontransferable policy.

I think Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout is one of the best rides in the park. It was built on the ride system of the old Tower of Terror, but it's is just so much fun. ToT was a good ride and I was skeptical of why it needed to be changed, but after

• Is October a good time to go? I assume kids are in school and crowds would be minimal and this is around his birthday...
This recent thread is from another WDW vet: Question about Oct and crowds? While October is low season/non-peak, that does not = low crowds! Halloween Time is one of the busiest (and most fun!) times of the year at DLR! With good planning, you can have a great time; but do not show up expecting low crowds.
This thread may have some good information for you: Advice: Disney World Family’s 1st to Disneyland:)

Also a WDW vet before doing Disneyland. Some other things not really mentioned:

-The park hopping between DL and DCA really is that easy. The first time I went we went back and forth between the parks four times. It's not like WDW park hopping where you really can only do it once before it gets annoying. From an Orlando perspective, it's like Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios, but even closer.
- Speaking of IoA and USO, the whole Disneyland area has a very similar set up. You park in a garage, then go through security, then walk past Downtown Disney, then get to the area where you can decide what park to start at. It's much easier than parking at Magic Kingdom, although a little more complicated than the other parks. But since Downtown Disney is so easy to get to, it's easy to jump out of the parks and eat/shop, and go back in.
- You can find multiple lists and video comparing all the rides between the parks. Definitely check everything out if possible.

You didn't ask, but since I mentioned Universal, it's pretty disappointing out here. First, it's NOT nearby, so if for whatever reason you decide to visit both parks, plan an hour of travel each way. Second, every ride that is in California is also in Florida, and most are exact clones (The Mummy is a little shorter). I walked into Universal for the first time and realized I already rode everything. The only reason I think it's worth going is the studio tour, which is very cool. It's about 45 minutes and takes you to some real sets. It's not worth buying a whole park ticket for though, unfortunately.

Also a WDW vet before doing Disneyland. Some other things not really mentioned:

-The park hopping between DL and DCA really is that easy. The first time I went we went back and forth between the parks four times. It's not like WDW park hopping where you really can only do it once before it gets annoying. From an Orlando perspective, it's like Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios, but even closer.
- Speaking of IoA and USO, the whole Disneyland area has a very similar set up. You park in a garage, then go through security, then walk past Downtown Disney, then get to the area where you can decide what park to start at. It's much easier than parking at Magic Kingdom, although a little more complicated than the other parks. But since Downtown Disney is so easy to get to, it's easy to jump out of the parks and eat/shop, and go back in.
- You can find multiple lists and video comparing all the rides between the parks. Definitely check everything out if possible.

You didn't ask, but since I mentioned Universal, it's pretty disappointing out here. First, it's NOT nearby, so if for whatever reason you decide to visit both parks, plan an hour of travel each way. Second, every ride that is in California is also in Florida, and most are exact clones (The Mummy is a little shorter). I walked into Universal for the first time and realized I already rode everything. The only reason I think it's worth going is the studio tour, which is very cool. It's about 45 minutes and takes you to some real sets. It's not worth buying a whole park ticket for though, unfortunately.
I agree about universal. We went. I hated it. Then a few years later we went again. 🤔🙄 Still hated it. 🤣

lol not sure if I would call it hate. If I had never been to a Universal park and every ride was new, I think it would be fairly cool. There aren't a lot of rides, and during the summer it gets super crowded so every line is horrible. And of course the studio tour is great. But coming from Orlando... yeah it's just more of a disappointment. I will say that both coasts had the Dark Arts at Hogwarts projection night show, and Hollywood not only beats Orlando's version, it might have one of the best endings to any theme park night show ever, especially if you are a big Harry Potter fan (like I am). Don't want to ruin it, but if you YouTube it, you'll see what I mean.

We remind people a lot that unlike USO, USH is first and foremost a working studio. So the studio aspect takes priority, not the theme park. The down side to this is that people who are expecting USO 2.0 will probably be disappointed. But, on the bright side, because of the studio, you might get to see something being filmed and/or some celebrities who are at Universal for the day.

Local to Disneyland. We do not like October at all! It is always so crowded in the parks. I find it far worse than the summer! I do work and am going on weekends, but we are there for rope drop and it is still crazy.

For rides, you want to add a few to your list --- Alice in Wonderland (dark ride), Mr Toad's Wild ride, Pirates (our version is far superior), Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain (our version is superior here too --- and during October, it will hopefully be back to Ghost Galaxy overlay --- although this maybe very scary to a little kid as it is super creepy), Buzz (again - so much better), Guardians of the Galaxy, Monsters Inc (dark ride), and Incredicoaster. I also highly recommend the Mickey and the Magical Map and Frozen shows!

I would check the height requirement for Indy too. I know my nephew at 6 would not yet have been tall enough (although he is pretty short and would not have liked it anyway so it was not on the list anyway). It is a 46 inch height one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter