WDW Marathon Experience - Early Corrals?

figmentatiously

Earning My Ears
I'll be running the WDW marathon in 2018 and have read a lot of race reports on the previous events. A lot of these reference riding EE in AK or ToT in HS and some even stopping for a drink in Epcot. But what is the race like for those starting in the early corrals?

Based on my submitted proof of time, I'll likely be in/near Corral C. Even if I slowed my pace by 90 seconds/mile (which may happen depending on photo stops), I'd still be through AK and Epcot WS before opening time.

Any insights to the experience in these early corrals appreciated. I'd like to have a rough idea of what kind of Disney "Magic" I can expect during the run.

Thanks!

I'll be running the WDW marathon in 2018 and have read a lot of race reports on the previous events. A lot of these reference riding EE in AK or ToT in HS and some even stopping for a drink in Epcot. But what is the race like for those starting in the early corrals?

Based on my submitted proof of time, I'll likely be in/near Corral C. Even if I slowed my pace by 90 seconds/mile (which may happen depending on photo stops), I'd still be through AK and Epcot WS before opening time.

Any insights to the experience in these early corrals appreciated. I'd like to have a rough idea of what kind of Disney "Magic" I can expect during the run.

Thanks!

Here's a link to my marathon day recap from this past year (2017).

I have run in B, C, E and H at marathon weekend. The race has been the least congested in B (for obvious reasons) and most congested in H.

The last two years (B and C) I have definitely passed character spots where there was no character. I'm getting to those locations relatively early in the race (from a time of day or clock perspective relative to others) so I'm not sure if they were on break or if they just weren't out yet. What most comes to mind is the mile 8-10 section where in 2016 I believe it was villain themed area. For me, there wasn't anybody out. But for people later on it sounds as if there were quite a few. I wonder for 2017 if a few characters were missing early on because of the cold temps (around 35-42F). However, most of the time (like 75-90% of character stops) they were out and the waits were pretty much nil. You could run up, get a pic in about 5 seconds, and then keep running. I'm not sure I ever saw a line more than two people long for the entire race. For reference, I finished in 3:20 for the marathon in 2017.

As for riding rides, Everest* was definitely not open when I passed. DHS had just opened (got there around 8:35am) so if you got a FP it would definitely work to get on a quick TOT or RRC (dependent on future years also being open around 8-9am).

*Edited to change from TOT to Everest. Animal Kingdom was not open when I passed through, but DHS was.

Last edited:
Started in A for the marathon and I couldn't get anyone to sell me a damn beer! Seriously though even though none of the places that would were open, I had no lines for any of the character stops. I mean none and I hit nineteen of them(damn you Oswald for leaving as I got there). So I guess that can be a trade off if that's something that interests you. No rides open either.

And you definitely don't have to worry about course congestion.

Thanks for your replies. Sad to hear about some of the characters still sleeping, but I can't really blame them.

And as you mentioned, fewer crowds in the front are a huge plus. While running on the track today at the YMCA I had to keep reminding myself that weaving around the walkers was good race day preparation.

Started in O (out of P) in 2016 and moved up to G for 2017 - a completely different (and better) experience. Weather (more running in the heat of the day in 2016 from the back vs. able to get going earlier and warm-up sooner in the pre-dawn cold in 2017), experiencing MK lit up in the pre-dawn darkness, less congestion on the course particularly going into and out of MK, short/non-existent lines to photo-ops and portapotties/real bathrooms, etc. all are great reasons to do whatever you can to qualify for an early corral. In fact that's probably the top tip I'd give anyone in terms of how to prep for the WDW marathon.

A couple other notes: 1) this is a course that you kinda want to positive split, to get out in front of the crowds, and 2) EE single rider line worked just fine for me in 2016 when I was in the back of the pack, so no worries there if you want to ride regardless of which corral you're in.

I've started in corrals from B to G over the years, and the higher your corral, the less crowding you'll see on the course and the shorter the lines will be with the characters. The downside, as others have said, is that the bars and rides are less likely to be open. If bars and rides are important to you, you can always drop back a corral or two. You can't move up, but you can always move back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter