WDW opening on July 11 and DVC Resorts June 15th (HH, VB) and June 22nd (WDW)

The Jackal

DIS Veteran
WDW just stated that the MK and AK will open July 11 and EPCOT and HS on July 15. To me this seems far out compared to other theme parks in Florida. I'm sure WDW has a reason for this.

ETA: Adjusted title so we can keep this as the main discussion thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have to communicate their reservation process for park entry, which will be a huge headache in and of itself...

They probably want to see how Universal's opening goes to make necessary plan adjustments. At this point it's not about winning and besting UOR... it's about being safe and doing what's best for the public. WDW is massive and so they only have one shot to get it right.

Seems responsible and careful. For example, they showed sample signs they will be placing. They need to get thousands of signs made and placed. They have to train a huge number of people on new procedures. They have to be prepared to handle uncooperative people in Disney fashion.

I think Seaworld and Universal have much smaller footprints to handle, and, they may be taking less care. Time will tell.

What does making a reservation for park entry mean? So DVC owners staying there with AP’s aren’t getting in without a reservation?

Ughhh... This is further out than I was expecting. We need to hear what the ticket reservation system will entail and when resorts/hotels will open. I have an early Aug reservation and APs for the parks. These better be able to be used if I'm paying cash for half our trip and DVC points for the second half. Not sure if I want to cancel or not until we have more info.

What does making a reservation for park entry mean? So DVC owners staying there with AP’s aren’t getting in without a reservation?

It sounds like to me that everyone will be required to book ahead of time, so it’s possible being AP or DVC may not give you priority.

On site resort /hotel guests including DVC better have a guarantee to get into the parks. Why would anybody spend thousands of dollars and maybe not be able to get into a park?

After reading Disney's presentation, some notes:

* Physical distancing capacity reductions in transportation, parks, restaurants, retail and attractions.. hotels not mentioned

* Suspension of fireworks, parades, events that create crowds

* suspend character greetings, close playgrounds

* Temperature checks for guests at entrances (what happens when it is 100 degrees in the shade?)

* Face coverings required for entry

* Lots of new signage going up

* Several agencies have been onsite and submitted letters in support saying Disney has the resources to implement the plans they presented

The resorts were never required to close, so this presentation was strictly about the theme parks.

Ok I get that but are the resorts going to be open?

I think I'm glad I'm not going this summer, I know I couldn't take the combination of heat and face mask... :guilty:

The resorts were never required to close, so this presentation was strictly about the theme parks.

Yes, but not mentioning it causes more confusion than simply adding it to the slide.

It could have include resorts will open X date.

* Physical distancing capacity reductions in transportation, parks, restaurants, retail and attractions.. hotels not mentioned

* Temperature checks for guests at entrances (what happens when it is 100 degrees in the shade?)

* Several agencies have been onsite and submitted letters in support saying Disney has the resources to implement the plans they presented
This sounds decidedly unmagical. Ugh. Have BCV booked for July 31-8/8. Going to cancel now as this information seals it.

I bet disney picked a date a little further out so they can watch what happens as florida reopens. If cases start to spike again, it's much easier to delay reopening than close again.

Maybe resorts will open later than 7/11? That would limit crowds in the beginning.

This sounds decidedly unmagical. Ugh. Have BCV booked for July 31-8/8. Going to cancel now as this information seals it.

Sorry your plans are having to change but I think I would be thinking the same thing. The realty of wearing a facemask in the FL summer heat is just to much for me. On the other hand you were going to be at BCV, good pool but could be very crowded. I guess you might have to make a reservation to go there too? :guilty:

....But other that, let's have some fun. haha!

I bet disney picked a date a little further out so they can watch what happens as florida reopens. If cases start to spike again, it's much easier to delay reopening than close again.

Maybe resorts will open later than 7/11? That would limit crowds in the beginning.

No way can they justify legally keeping DVC resorts closed that long...at least not IMO.

Once we have a confirmed date..or by tomorrow..I will be emailing and requesting a call to be provided with the legal documentation that allows them to continue DVC resorts closed beyond July 1st...even mid June.

I have reservations 7/22-7/30. I think I am going to go but my way of dealing with the summer heat at WDW has always been to get some air-conditioned food and bev, which I am sure will need to be curtailed. Pool in the middle of the day will also be much more limited. I guess it will be better than staying home??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter