WDW resort going forward

rteetz

DIS Veteran
I want to discuss the future of the WDW resort based on what the spirit on wdwmagic is reporting. He is very reputable when it comes to these things most recently got the new restaurant replacing kouzzina right.

1. Disney is done with building new deluxes unless new management changes that.
2. Disney's biggest DVC expansion is starting and its not where you think.

3. Disney is not reaching capacity on its resorts, so rooms are going to start to leave.

4. Flamingo Crossing isn't happening Disney has thrown in the towel.

The next DVC resort will be Wilderness lodge and yes it already has DVC but they will take exiting rooms and be converting them to DVC. FW, and the rumored epcot DVC isn't happening. They will be converting large rooms of the main building to DVC rooms $150 rooms are not in disneys business plan. DVC right now is everything for Disney. They are also planning infrastructure work. redo of artist point, expanding the pool deck, and adding a new concierge lounge. And here is the kicker right now some plans have for 10 over water bungalows at WL that will look sort of like teepees.

4. Flamingo Crossing isn't happening Disney has thrown in the towel

Not sure where you're getting your info, but it was announced in May that
Marriott Springhill Suites and Marriott Townplace Suites were going to be built at Flamingo Crossings.

Marriott Springhill Suites and Marriott Townplace Suites were going to be built at Flamingo Crossings.

As I understood it from several years ago, Flamingo Crossing was going to be a shopping/dining area like Downtown Disney...maybe Mariott is still building but the Disney stuff isn't?

Yes but no construction has started first of all. second what i am saying is disney stopped trying to build the flamingo crossing they wanted.

Is any of this really surprising? Deluxes are not selling even with rampant discounts. As long as DVC sells a conversion is cheaper than starting from scratch. The tee pees over the water sound strange!

Is any of this really surprising? Deluxes are not selling even with rampant discounts. As long as DVC sells a conversion is cheaper than starting from scratch. The tee pees over the water sound strange!
I agree I'm just reporting from a source who has a good track record.

I wonder what the saturation point will be with DVC? At some point, there's going to be more DVC units than demand and they will have an issue with not being able to sell all of the units.

I don't really know that much about DVC. Wonder when the contracts at Old Key West expire?

I wonder what the saturation point will be with DVC? At some point, there's going to be more DVC units than demand and they will have an issue with not being able to sell all of the units.

I don't really know that much about DVC. Wonder when the contracts at Old Key West expire?

The earliest DVC contracts expire in 2042. (OKW I think, BC, BW ) The exception is that the OKW owners were offered an extension at some point . Not sure if that extended them to 42 or from 42?. I'm not sure about VB and HHI.

Any rooms (points) that aren't sold can be rented out by Disney, just as if they were standard hotel rooms. So even if they don't sell, Disney can still make money off of it until they DO sell.

Later in the thread, Spirit says Marriott is not obligated to build those suites. They can back out at any time.

If the executives at WDW really want to fill rooms they need to start putting more money into the parks. New Fantasyland is fine and the MyMagic+ system is great and all but we need more. The oft rumored Star Wars and Carsland additions at DHS would definitely bring in some crowds and fill up hotel rooms. The more and better attractions that are added to WDW will certainly increase attendance and demand for hotel room on every level from Deluxe to Value and everything in between.

Any rooms (points) that aren't sold can be rented out by Disney, just as if they were standard hotel rooms. So even if they don't sell, Disney can still make money off of it until they DO sell.

If Disney is planning to covert deluxe hotel rooms to DVC becasue the occupancy rates at the deluxe resorts is declining, don't they still have the same problem? If you can't sell the deluxe rooms becasue of the sky high hotel rates they're charging, are people going to book DVC rooms/villas which will be even higher priced? :confused3

If Disney is planning to covert deluxe hotel rooms to DVC becasue the occupancy rates at the deluxe resorts is declining, don't they still have the same problem? If you can't sell the deluxe rooms becasue of the sky high hotel rates they're charging, are people going to book DVC rooms/villas which will be even higher priced? :confused3

The difference is that if more rooms are converted into DVC, then more contracts will be offered for sale. Disney is having no trouble selling DVC, and this "locks in" / guarantees return guests for 40-50 years.

As PPs have explained, the difference between DVC and regular resort rooms is that DVC sells 50 year contracts. So the rooms "sell out," so to speak, from the get go. Regular rooms make their money night by night.

Teepees over the water? I'm still stuck on that....

I think it sounds good. Especially because the Teepees won't affect anyone's sight-lines like it will at Poly. Plus, as a DVC member, I have a hard time with availability at VWL. If they convert rooms to DVC, no one will be happier than I.

If the executives at WDW really want to fill rooms they need to start putting more money into the parks. New Fantasyland is fine and the MyMagic+ system is great and all but we need more. The oft rumored Star Wars and Carsland additions at DHS would definitely bring in some crowds and fill up hotel rooms. The more and better attractions that are added to WDW will certainly increase attendance and demand for hotel room on every level from Deluxe to Value and everything in between.

Disney is at a point in management where they would rather spend small amounts of money like converting existing rooms to DVC for short term gains. Expansions in parks are for long term gains. Disney is only looking at short term gains right now.

If they convert to DVC they will sell 50 year contracts locking people in. Less non DVC rooms will make the occupancy rate look greater. DVC sells like hot cakes except for places like Vero Beach and Disneys Hilton Head those didn't sell well. Aulani didn't even sell like they wanted it to.

Is this part of the construction thats begining to take place at the WL, and how long will this process take?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter