WDW resort going forward

That's so cool!
Have they been back since?

They took my wife to Disney all through the 70's and early 80's, although she was not on this particular trip. (she was 5 I think). They also became DVC members to join us on some trips. Now we all live 2 to 3 hours from D. He likes to get the receipt out occasionally at holiday gatherings. It's pretty cool. I wish I could have been there.

On one of the early trips that my wife was on, they saw Patty Page sing at the original top of the world lounge. She sang "How much is that Doggie in the Window" directly to DW. She says she sat with her. I think DW was 7 or 8.

I am seeing the Four Seasons as $449 a night, not $333? For May 2015. Add a third adult and it is $524/night. :confused3
It's a little early to see discounts from either company. Wait a bit and then check again and I bet that they'll both drop.

There's a trick to posting on this board. Find the highest price Disney charges, compare it to the lowest price a competitor charges, then bash Disney (for everything from price to service to pace of construction). If you can do that, you will be okay here.

That is not correct.

I use apples to apples as much as possible...do I accuse posters of fluffing Disney?

Well...ok...I do...but they DO ;)

I haven't read all this thread but WDW seems to me to have have a circular issue with DVC. The people who buy DVC are the the loyal fan base that visits regularly and stays on property. Now that Disney sold those loyal regular customers into a DVC. Disney now has the regular resort room they used to consume empty. So, Disney is now converting those resort rooms into DVC rooms as the the former consumers for those rooms are now DVC owners at new properties built for DVC. I would venture the days of building new properties for DVC are numbered.

I'm sure the bean counters have considered this, if your loyal consumer base is saturated with DVC owners then who do you target with PIN codes and other promotions to move regular rooms during slow times?

I think the FS deal definitely indicates they are ceding the true luxury segment of the hotel market in Orlando. Or maybe they know that the people likely to stay at the FS weren't staying at the GF anyway?

Or Disney understood that a lot of GF regulars weren't going to put up with the strain the GF DVC puts on the GF's amenities? We won't stay there anymore because of that very reason.

Or Disney understood that a lot of GF regulars weren't going to put up with the strain the GF DVC puts on the GF's amenities? We won't stay there anymore because of that very reason.

That is a completely ridiculous take...

What "strain" are you speaking of?

That is a small DVC addition and I have never seen the "amenities" strained?

Please explain...because it comes
Off as snark

Q-man said:

Really?!? Disney built about as small a DVC resort as it possibly could at GF. The resort has multiple pools, multiple restaurants, what strain are you talking about?

Then it looks like you are going to be out of luck with any disney deluxe resort, since they all are going to be so tortured with the DVC plague. The blame falls to the "regulars" who apparently haven't been keeping the resort filled to an acceptable level. Careful or next they will be converting existing rooms.

Really?!? Disney built about as small a DVC resort as it possibly could at GF. The resort has multiple pools, multiple restaurants, what strain are you talking about?

Extra ~150 rooms with no additional facilities may not bother you but it does me as that is close to 20% more rooms with no new facilities to accommodate them.

Then it looks like you are going to be out of luck with any disney deluxe resort, since they all are going to be so tortured with the DVC plague. The blame falls to the "regulars" who apparently haven't been keeping the resort filled to an acceptable level. Careful or next they will be converting existing rooms.

Back to WDW was a circular issue in that the regular guests that used to buy those rooms are now DVC owners and WDW now has room inventory without customers.

Extra 100 rooms with no additional facilities may not bother you but it does me.

Does it bother you because you have actually experienced instances of the resort's amenities being overburdened, or simply because you perceive that to be the case? In all of my time spent on multiple DIS forums, including but not limited to Disney Resorts, DVC Resorts, DVC Misc., DVC Trip Reports and of course Rumors and News, I have never come across a thread in which this topic was so much as mentioned as a problem, not to mention spending some time at the resort itself (not as a guest, but just a "passer-by")...

EDITED TO ADD: Off topic, but having just reached a post-count of "911" on 09/11, I thought I'd take a moment to say "God Bless the US of A". I will surely never forget the tragic events that unfolded that day, and my heart goes out to all of the families that were impacted.

Eating breakfast at the GF sucks because really only 2 of those restaurants, the Cafe and the Grill, are available at that time. As most aren't going to go to the character breakfast daily.

Extra ~150 rooms with no additional facilities may not bother you but it does me as that is close to 20% more rooms with no new facilities to accommodate them.

That is an incorrect take, respectfully...

The facilities are "strained" when overall attendance is up at wdw - just like the parks.

The locations that have added DVC - notably large additions at contemporary and animal kingdom, have added no observed strain to the hotels...
And they added what accounts to a small restaurant and an empty bar at those locations.

In the case of contemporary...they screwed up the restaurants prior to bay lake...and they still are readily accessible.

If you don't want to go to grand Floridian (my guess is that you know you're getting ripped off, thinking about seasons, or can no longer afford
The price)...then don't go.
Don't float an inference that makes you look down upon DVC as some sort of lower class (just an opinion based on tone) and make it look so elitist.

Eating breakfast at the GF sucks because really only 2 of those restaurants, the Cafe and the Grill, are available at that time. As most aren't going to go to the character breakfast daily.

That is better than or the same as all other wdw hotels...so what's the angle?

Wow didn't expect this to make so many defensive. It is how I feel about it and my choice of how I spend my money.

And pointing out the no one is complaining is hilarious when the most loyal fan base there is rarely complains. Which in turn allows Disney to lessen the experience time and again. If any company but Disney had lessened the experience, to the same degree, over the last 20 years there'd be 100s of lockedoutlogic types discussing it instead of a handful.

And, yes we still go nearly annually.

That is an incorrect take, respectfully...

The facilities are "strained" when overall attendance is up at wdw - just like the parks.

The locations that have added DVC - notably large additions at contemporary and animal kingdom, have added no observed strain to the hotels...
And they added what accounts to a small restaurant and an empty bar at those locations.

They also added pool facilities for those new rooms which they did not at the GF.

I don't think of DVC as lower class at all. I mostly feel sorry for them being locked into a continually diminishing product from what they were buying into and thank my stars that I told the family no to buying one.

Wow didn't expect this to make so many defensive. It is how I feel about it and my choice of how I spend my money.

And pointing out the no one is complaining is hilarious when the most loyal fan base there is rarely complains. Which in turn allows Disney to lessen the experience time and again. If any company but Disney had lessened the experience, to the same degree, over the last 20 years there'd be 100s of lockedoutlogic types discussing it instead of a handful.

And, yes we still go nearly annually.

Well...

I've been screaming about this for 7 years...and I'm not alone.

I fully support anyone holding them accountable for increased prices and decreased return...because they've taken it to ridiculous levels...

However, the addition of the grand Floridian DVC doesn't do what you say it does. It's a fact, not an opinion.

Feel free to go back...because if 1900 park fare or narcoosees is booked up...it's because they have 35,000 hotel rooms booked solid in a 4 mile radius...plus outsiders.
It's honestly has nothing to do with DVC.

They also added pool facilities for those new rooms which they did not at the GF.

I don't think of DVC as lower class at all. I mostly feel sorry for them being locked into a continually diminishing product from what they were buying into and thank my stars that I told the family no to buying one.

Might want to check your data on that one...

They "added" the zero entry pool in 2002...15 years after opening (I watched it
Being built)

And then they added the kids area with dvc.

They have yet to build a DVC WITHOUT a significant pool addition...with the exception of wilderness
And beach... When the program was stagnant and they didnt feel it was necessary...
But they still added a pool and hot tub

Might want to check your data on that one...

They "added" the zero entry pool in 2002...15 years after opening (I watched it
Being built)

And then they added the kids area with dvc.

They have yet to build a DVC with a significant pool addition...with the exception of wilderness
And beach... When the program was stagnant and they didnt feel it was necessary...

Trying to follow the conversation here but I'm confused.

WHO added a pool in 2002?

Trying to follow the conversation here but I'm confused.

WHO added a pool in 2002?

Assume we're talking Grand Floridian. The kids play area was added with the DVC wing.

I believe GF also has more restaurants than any other WDW resort: V&A's, Citrico's, Narcoossee's, 1900 PF and Grand Floridian Cafe.

lockedoutlogic said:
They have yet to build a DVC with a significant pool addition...with the exception of wilderness

I assume you're qualifying that statement somehow because pool additions seem to be standard with most DVC additions.

Bay Lake Tower has its own pool. (The old North Garden Wing didn't have a pool so that was a net gain.)

Kidani was built with a pool and kids play area. No rooms were added at Jambo so no increase in swimming facilities there.

Saratoga Springs originally had one feature pool. A second feature pool was added about 6-8 years after opening. It also has two quiet pools--three if you count the one by the Treehouse Villas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!