WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

There are those of us who opted not to take the free dining offer, but went with the AP discount which is basically the 35% off offer being made at some point. They chose to open after that discount expires. Those guests are just out of luck as they refuse to honor previous discounts. Just another nail in the coffin.

It's hard to know. Do you have AP's or are you just wanting to buy tickets elsewhere? You may be in a position,depending on how soon your trip is, that you need to just suck up the tickets - that is, if you really want/have to travel during this - and hold them for another trip to upgrade or use. I would have previously said, "of course Disney will allow you to modify and keep your hotel" but right now, things are a mess and very uncertain. I'm not sure what they are going to do and our TA emails have not given any better info than what is posted here.
Thanks. I have APs but if I'm unable to ditch the tickets and can't modify days, that might be what finally breaks me. The phone CM seemed to think they'd allow modifications, but we all know how dependable phone CMs are...

Thanks. I have APs but if I'm unable to ditch the tickets and can't modify days, that might be what finally breaks me. The phone CM seemed to think they'd allow modifications, but we all know how dependable phone CMs are...
I hope they allow you to drop the tix. We would have been in the same spot had I booked the recovery offer and I'd feel the same as you. Losing the free dining and being forced to pay rack rate and for tix I didn't need would have been my undoing.

Do you think they're going to allow any modifications to existing reservations? I had the recovery free dining. I'd pay rack rate but I'd also like to shorten my trip now and get rid of the tickets I was required to add for FD. I'm feeling very confused about everything right now.
I don't think they're going to allow any modifications. They want ppl. to cancel. The way their system works, to take days off/on requires canceling and rebooking. I highly doubt they're going to allow ppl. to modify. Nice of you to be willing to pay rack rate though.

I don't think they're going to allow any modifications. They want ppl. to cancel. The way their system works, to take days off/on requires canceling and rebooking. I highly doubt they're going to allow ppl. to modify. Nice of you to be willing to pay rack rate though.
Honestly, I fully anticipate that's how it's going to go. I'm interested if they'll let me drop the tickets. If they can take away the dining, then I should be able to drop the tickets. One would think...

I wonder if this is the “quintessential experience” he said they insisted on before they opened.

Chapek has to be the most clueless executive I’ve ever seen.
Yes, you know how lucky those ppl. who get into the reservation system will be? Can't believe he said that...yep so lucky that we're only keeping the customers that will pay us the most, accept us being dishonest and all for a lesser experience than what we could safely provide...man those are the lucky ones. What a jack***.

I also get the feeling they want people to cancel. There are just so many negatives being thrown out right now. They are making a ton of money off the NBA and aren't hurting as bad as other parks in the area to where they need guests and quickly. My perception anyways. Like I've said elsewhere, they want to open so dvc can use points (big deal so there isn't a huge build up of points) and they are solving that by only opening dvc resorts, get AP's access so they can stop the clock on refunds and extensions, and lastly, open to locals who will enter the parks, spend money and go home, removing some of Disney's responsibility. Things have changed for the time being.

So are they going to open up 2021 packages so those of us that want to rebook under the 35% can? I know you can book room only but we have always done a package so not sure how that works.

So are they going to open up 2021 packages so those of us that want to rebook under the 35% can? I know you can book room only but we have always done a package so not sure how that works.
They've not made any mention of the future dates for the 35% offer, have they?

I have bounce back free dining booked for August. I completely understand the new restrictions- limiting park hours, no parades, etc. Even cancelling existing ADRs makes sense and I'm not surprised by it. But now paying rack rate for the room plus the $1000 for the food while there...I can't see why they had to cancel ALL dining plans. At least give us free quick service because we have to eat while we are there! They would be honoring free dining and give us the option to not be out any money for food this way.

Can someone explain the reason they did not do this? I don't mean to be so negative (and we are not even cancelling our reservation as of yet!) but I truly cannot think of any other reason than to get more people to cancel on their own and make sure they can get as much money as possible from those that are going.

I also get the feeling they want people to cancel. There are just so many negatives being thrown out right now. They are making a ton of money off the NBA and aren't hurting as bad as other parks in the area to where they need guests and quickly. My perception anyways. Like I've said elsewhere, they want to open so dvc can use points (big deal so there isn't a huge build up of points) and they are solving that by only opening dvc resorts, get AP's access so they can stop the clock on refunds and extensions, and lastly, open to locals who will enter the parks, spend money and go home, removing some of Disney's responsibility. Things have changed for the time being.

A few days ago you could’ve said this all as a prediction and I would’ve argued with you and defended them, even though all the signs were there. But they managed to prove it all true, much to my disappointment.

I have bounce back free dining booked for August. I completely understand the new restrictions- limiting park hours, no parades, etc. Even cancelling existing ADRs makes sense and I'm not surprised by it. But now paying rack rate for the room plus the $1000 for the food while there...I can't see why they had to cancel ALL dining plans.
It's funny how everything makes sense until they finally get to a cut that one cares about a great deal. Then, it no longer makes sense.
Cancelling dining plans makes just as much sense as many other moves they've made. Charging the same price for much less than they sold is what doesn't make sense and it didn't make sense with the first cut. At least not on the guest's end. It makes perfect sense to Disney. They aren't looking long term anymore so the guest experience and guest satisfaction doesn't matter. That's just the way it is and we have 2 options- take it or leave it.

I’m a huge fan, live an hour away, have an annual pass already, and I have zero desire to deal with any of these restrictions. They are killing it for me.

i'm also an AP holder and live an hour away. I don't think I will return to the parks until after the COVID situation has improved. I do hope disney will refund the unused difference in the cost of my platinum pluss pass, since water parks are now off the table too.

Got the email. I have 1 night CR for July 1st, had booked fps already. Very generic email but it talks only about the fp cancellation and not the resort cancellation, maybe they'll be canceling that a couple of weeks before

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200529-061927_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200529-061927_Outlook.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20200529-061936_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200529-061936_Outlook.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 76
Did you all see they are canceling all existing dining and fast pass reservations? I still can’t through to cancel. They are chipping away at my vacation a day at a time. Glad we chose plan B. This vacation was going to be pricey. It was a celebration trip. Sadly with the changes it would be a bust. (I had some great fast passes)
Oh well there is always a great big beautiful tomorrow.

This all would've gone down better with one simple thing: better communication
No wishy washy language
No cryptic DPB post
We all knew there would be some radical changes but, with no communications and them continuing taking reservations and only canceling them a week at a time a lot of people feel blindsided.
And this lack of communications has been happening for at least a decade if not more, it's just more obvious now that it's affecting a very large group of people
This is why I always tell everyone, do not expect anything from Disney. When they changed their terms and conditions a month ago or so I knew they were prepping for some big shake up.
Like I said yesterday, take your money and visit somewhere else or save it and come back next year

Last edited:
Does anyone have a clue as to how many days you will be allowed to do an advance park reservation for? At this point I have consolidated 2 previously canceled trips into one in August for a total of 18 days. The first 4 nights are at the Dolphin, the next 14 are onsite. I have an AP, so in theory I should get "dibs", but I doubt that it will be for my full trip. I may have to amend this one yet again.

Yes, it is a package. I have the Dining Recovery Package. Yesterday there was another link which said change your reservation. They took that away last night.
Just an update- I had lots of reservations and had cancelled many of them, leaving only 2. I now see that message you see- meaning I can't get those cancelled and get my money back. That is absolutely unbelievavle to me that they can hold on to thousands of dollars of my money for something they have cancelled and refuse to immediately refund. It just gets better and better. Has anyone been successful in calling and getting refunds?

It's funny how everything makes sense until they finally get to a cut that one cares about a great deal. Then, it no longer makes sense.
Cancelling dining plans makes just as much sense as many other moves they've made. Charging the same price for much less than they sold is what doesn't make sense and it didn't make sense with the first cut. At least not on the guest's end. It makes perfect sense to Disney. They aren't looking long term anymore so the guest experience and guest satisfaction doesn't matter. That's just the way it is and we have 2 options- take it or leave it.

All of those things I mentioned make sense from a safety perspective and to limit capacity at restaurants. I don't think eliminating quick service dining does that.

BUT- and I didn't think of this til now- perhaps they are changing so that quick service will also have to be reserved to control capacity at those restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter