WDW vets..do you stay at the same Disney...

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
Resort every time you go? I'm a Disneyland vet, but went to WDW in 2017 and stayed at All Star Sports. We loved it. Anyway, WDW is calling my name. So I'm "planning" on going back June 2021. It will be me, DH and our three children who will then be DD 15,DD 11 and DS almost 2. All Star Sports fit all our needs. We loved the pools and were happy with the service we got. For a while I was so set on staying at French Quarter due to all the excellent reviews it's gotten, and the fact that it will be the ONLY time ever to stay there together as a family of five.It would cost a little more and I'm sure my tight- with -money husband would frown, but too bad. I'm watching YouTube videos of French Quarter and the All Star resorts, and I got to thinking, is French Quarter really all that great? I'm sure we'd love it there, but basically we're just looking for a place to sleep and take a swim. My girls want to stay at All Star Sports again, or give Music a try. What would you do?

We love POFQ! The theming is comparable to Sports in that the theme of New Orleans is carried throughout the resort, dining, and leisure areas. There's a nice balance of adult and kid theming too. The CMs there are terrific! The food is unique to the Port Orleans couples (French Quarter and Riverside). You can walk along the river to Riverside Resort and explore their dining, gift shop and entertainment as well (Make sure you take in YeeHaw Bob's live show, if you can. There's also live entertainment in the French Quarter too. FQ is a smaller resort than Sports. Quaint, easy to get around. No building is more than a 3 minute walk from the lobby/ food, pool, etc. It's a very quiet resort. SOMETIMES, the buses will also pickup at Riverside, but it doesn't even add 5 minutes to the trip. Most of the time, they do not. All in all, I have to say that I've never experienced a negative situation while I've been there. :jester: Music is a really fun resort, but very much like Sports in its layout, food options, etc. No matter where you land, I hope you have a great trip.

I have stayed at a few-
Keep meaning to try more
We stay quite a bit at AOA and POR. Have FQ booked for July trip, if it happens 😉

All my solo trips are at POFQ now. It's smaller and quieter then other resorts I've stayed at. Definitely more laid back. I find it to be more of an adults resort but that's not to say it isn't good for families. I just think there is more to entertain families at some of the other resorts. All Star Music, POP Century and Art of Animation come to mind. I don't think you can beat being able to take the ferry to Disney Springs though.

We keep changing. Tip: They’re substantially renovating all the all stars; Movies is done, Music was in progress when everything stopped, Sports was supposed to be after Music finished but who knows now. Anyway they charge the same for all 3, so I’d suggest Movies to be sure you get an updated room.

Our first trip was at Poly and we fell for it hard. From that point on we knew it was a near perfect fit for our preferences and it would be vacation money well spent. It took several repeat trips before we were ready to branch out and try something new. At some point we had a trip where we knew it ‘was time’ to move on - but it took awhile. :-)

I say if you know what you like and don’t mind repetition, stick with what you know.

Last edited:

We like to try new resorts and have been fortune to stay at quite a few. There is nothing like exploring a new resort and finding fun and exciting things exclusive to each. POFQ is awesome and I think you would really enjoy it. We are big on DS and it is a quick boat ride which was super convenient. Happy Planning!

Disneyland vet. Been to Disneyworld four times in the last three years. Stayed at seven different hotels; anywhere from Value to Deluxe Villa and in-between. As Gordon Gekko perfectly put it; we too also like to try/explore new resorts and find fun things exclusive to each.

But if you are looking for a place to just sleep and swim, then I would try out the other All Star resorts. That way, you're not breaking the bank AND technically you're at a different resort so it's something new-ish. Although if there are future plans to come back, I would definitely try other hotels.

We've tried different resorts with almost every trip; All-Star Music and Poly being the exceptions (we own Poly through DVC). That said, I'd have no problem going back to the All-Star resorts if we booked a trip and didn't get a DVC resort. We're booked for October, and because we just booked last week, it's a split stay, and I mean split. We're staying in 4 different resorts over the course of 8 nights, and for two of the resorts were switching between standard and preferred rooms. We know what we like, but this is an opportunity to try resorts we've not stayed in yet (SSR, BLT, OKW and AKV). If you like the All-Star resorts, and you're happy there, just stick with it and save some money. Either way, good luck!

I am surprised you are not considering POP Century Resorts since they have updated the rooms and offer the SkyLiner Access. Plus walking across Generation Gap Bridge to have access to their Landscape of Flavors food court along with Everything Pop Food Court ; offers a change of pace For food and fun theming.

I love POP if I can’t afford BLT !

Our choice comes down to the park where we intend to spend the most time and finances. When DD was young it was Poly. Now that she is older it has been BWI, YC, and BC. When we needed to cut back on expenses, we stayed at POR or CBR. We enjoyed every one of them.

Rarely stay at same place twice but I would make an exception for French Quarter. Omg loved that resort. I’m guessing you’d get two rooms? The extra beds and bathroom situation would be good there, and with a cool pool too...Coronado Springs is my other repeater, along with Pop (but not if hubby is along- he’s definitely a moderate or deluxe person). But if you don’t use much of resort amenities I’d stick with All-Stars and maybe splurge on a tour like Caring for a giants or the Rhino tour or something (I’m not actually good with “saving” money at Disney- if I “save” on a room then I figure it’s money I can put to something else 😆 )

We choose resort based upon the purpose of our visit. Christmas we are at Wilderness Lodge. NYE we are at Yacht Club. If DHS is our focus we will be at CBR for the Skyliner. We avoid resorts with bus only transportation unless Animal Kingdom is our focus then we will stay at AKL.

Resort every time you go? I'm a Disneyland vet, but went to WDW in 2017 and stayed at All Star Sports. We loved it. Anyway, WDW is calling my name. So I'm "planning" on going back June 2021. It will be me, DH and our three children who will then be DD 15,DD 11 and DS almost 2. All Star Sports fit all our needs. We loved the pools and were happy with the service we got. For a while I was so set on staying at French Quarter due to all the excellent reviews it's gotten, and the fact that it will be the ONLY time ever to stay there together as a family of five.It would cost a little more and I'm sure my tight- with -money husband would frown, but too bad. I'm watching YouTube videos of French Quarter and the All Star resorts, and I got to thinking, is French Quarter really all that great? I'm sure we'd love it there, but basically we're just looking for a place to sleep and take a swim. My girls want to stay at All Star Sports again, or give Music a try. What would you do?

If ASSp fit your needs and your girls are asking to stay there again or try Music, I would do that. You already know the resort and you loved it. There is something comforting about revisiting a place that holds special memories and that you enjoyed so much.

Since purchasing DVC, we continue to stay at BWV and AKL, our home resorts.
Before buying, we stayed at Poly, AKL, Beach Club, Yacht Club, PO French Quarter and Riverside, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Wilderness,
Theres good thinkgs at all the resorts.

It’s fun to try new resorts but there’s nothing wrong with sticking with what you love. My gf and I fell hard for the Poly on our first trip together, it’s “our” place and branching out is difficult for us. So much so that our next trip (rescheduled from this year) is a split just from next door at the GF. I don’t think we could do a long trip without at least some Poly involved. We are actually booked for a long weekend at CR for the 50th, gf is an artist and a big Mary Blair fangirl so she is really looking forward to seeing the big mural. We’ve only ever zoomed through on the monorail.

I have stayed elsewhere on my solo trips, but they tend to be shorter stays, and I don’t get that “home” feeling like I do at the Poly.

We're also DLR vets and west coast residents (CA), so WDW is not as frequent of a trip for us. We've gone 3 times, twice at POR and once at YC for a splurge trip to deluxe. Honestly, we loved both of those resorts so much that it would be hard for us to switch to staying somewhere else! Our next trip will probably be at a moderate, so we're planning to head back to POR because we know we love it there.

If we went more frequently, we'd likely try different resorts. It's different when it's a less frequent trip.

If you stay at All Stars, can you use the extra money for something else? Dining, water parks/PH option on tickets, etc? Something to consider... :)

We've bounced around all over only staying twice at Port Orleans Riverside and AoA.

First 2 trips were AllStars which worked great because we were always on the go anyway. They're even better now with the refurbs.

We moved on to Moderates when they came with free Regular DDP and by that point we spent more time relaxing at our resort to enjoy it. We started preferring the Mods even without the food offer.

From there we tried renting DVC for around the price of Mods. Next trip we're trying Poly and Beach Club for the first time. It's more worth the money to us now because we make better use of those resorts and locations than we would've on earlier trips where we stayed in the parks all day.

I think this is a natural progression at WDW. There's so much to do at first no matter where you stay. Then we hit exploratory mode and continue expanding our experiences and trip styles. Tried 10 resorts so far and want to keep going :)

We love POFQ. I’d try it. It’s exciting to try different resorts I think. It’s a beautiful resort and feels like your on vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter