WDW Winter stay no Parks

jimmykitefan

Mouseketeer
We just got super cheap airfare for the end of January and will be heading down for my birthday and to warm our bones some. This is going to be a budget trip.
Looking for ideas of things to do on property without going into the parks.
Thanks!

I am bringing two friends in January specifically to go to the after hours event. One of my friends has a strict budget so we will only be doing the Disney after Hours event and an EPCOT day over 5 days. I searched out cheaper dining venues as well.

I am planning a day to take the bus to the Magic Kingdom...then the boat to Wilderness Lodge and we will eat at Geyser Point. If it is cold we will eat at the Territory Lounge. Then we will tour the monorail resorts and have drinks at Trader Sams at the Poly.

We are spending another day at Disney Springs with drinks at Jock Lindsay's and dinner at Homecomin'.

My other thought wS touring the Crescent Lake resorts with Dinner at Beaches and Cream and drinks at Abracadabar.

Lots to see and do without going to a park.

Have fun!

We just got super cheap airfare for the end of January and will be heading down for my birthday and to warm our bones some.

Not sure where you're from, but it CAN be actually freezing in Orlando during the winter. So bring your swimsuit AND your thermals.

Look at the animals at the Animal Kingdom Lodges.

I know that you said it was a budget trip, but the spas at SSR and GF are wonderful.

Totally understand the January need for sun. Just make sure you take bumbershoot's recommendation for both swimsuits and thermals. And I would suggest adding a hoodie for those cool breezy mornings and evenings. You didn't say but I am assuming you are staying on site and using Disney transportation.

I will second the previous posters suggestions and add a few more. Visiting the deluxe resorts is very worthwhile. Spend some time pursuing the menus for the various restaurants and snack shops at each resort and pick out a few visit.

Take the bus to the MK then do the Monorail tour and stop by the Grand Floridian and the Poly. Both are worth a stroll through the lobby and around the grounds. Once you add the various boat rides you can take while visiting the various resorts on the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake you'll have plenty to do.

I definitely suggest spending time visiting the Boardwalk and the resorts around the Crescent Lake. You can take the bus to DHS and then walk or take the boat to one of the resorts.

And of course a trip to the AKL is a "must do".

Add in a visit to Disney Springs, provided you can resist all of the shopping temptations, and you'll have plenty of budget things to do.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

We just got super cheap airfare for the end of January and will be heading down for my birthday and to warm our bones some. This is going to be a budget trip.
Thanks!

Dinner shows at Polynesian and Fort Wilderness
Hidden mickeys throughout all of the resorts
Disney Springs

Remember Jan is Florida coldest month so be prepared with warm clothes. Low can be in the 30s Last year it even got done to the teen's for the lows

Going to the Grand Floridian.. Listening to the Grand Orchestra and pianist while just chilling on their comfy couches. They have lots of shops and you can watch fireworks outside of Gasparilla Grill.
You can also do Hoop dee doo! Best show at Disney :)

We are doing the same thing before our cruise in Feb (but will have our two kids with us). in addition to what is already suggested, having a Dole Whip at the Poly is on my list. We are also planning on renting a Surrey Bike at one of the resorts.

At Port Orleans Riverside I saw a sign for carriage rides.....maybe they are still available when you're there.

Play "Bus Roulette"! Go out to the bus stop and hop on the 1st bus that shows up. Then whereever that bus goes, get on the next resort bus that shows up and tour that resort. Then back to the bus stop and do it again! It's actually a lot of fun and you get to check out other resorts and Disney Springs! We're going for 3 days in December just for the resorts and we plan to do this for a while one day. Plan on getting a snack at some of the stops too!

Thanks!
Where will you be staying at?

Look into the activities the resorts have. For example you could go look at the animals at Animal Kingdom Lodge through night vision goggles or tour Boma. I think you get samples of food with the Boma tour. The WL has a room with some of Walt's trains. I'm not sure if they play movies outside at the resorts in January. If they do and the weather is nice you could sit outside with a drink and watch one. Watch the fireworks and the Water Pageant from the Poly beach. I'm sure there are ton's more. Look up the activities guides to see what all of the resorts offer. I bet you could find tons of free stuff to do and you can look at the different resorts at the same time.

Disney springs has live bands at night. We like to go just to listen to the music sometimes.

Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts