WDW with a 6 year old

dulluth

Mouseketeer
The last time we went to WDW when our son was 4, getting a stroller was a no-brainer. This time, however, he is 6, and I am questioning whether or not to be thinking about stroller. Any advice from parents who have experienced WDW with a six year old, and how you handled it would be appreciated. I know he would not use it all the time, but will a six year old get tired enough to want to use it as needed? Thanks for any help/advice!

Hi Dulluth -

Just returned with DD - turned 6 on our trip! Definitely use a stroller - rent it - buy it, carry an umbrella stroller - it is still a lifesaver.
There were times she was out and wanting to fllow along with the other kids in our party and DS, but we would not have been able to stay as late as we did w/o the stroller.
Enjoy - good luck!!

We were there 2 years ago w/ (then 6,3,1 yr) and we took a double for our 3, and 1 yr olds and an umbrella for our 6 year old. He did not use it once and we were at the parks everyday all day long. I kept offering it to him, but he did great. I think it really depends on the child-some really can't take walking all day. I'm having a similiar situation for our upcoming trip as my now 5 year old may not want to ride in the stroller very much. We are debating on a double (side/side) or two lightweigt strollers. I also think that especially w/ a boy at age 6 that they just think its too "baby like" to be in a stroller. Maybe take an umbrella w/ you and you may be able to leave it at the hotel if he does not seem interested. I really think at age 6 they do fine w/o it as you are always riding a ride or sitting down to snack or seeing a show, but it is nice to have one for your junk.

My dd's are 8 and 6 and they stopped using a stroller after they were 5. The first trip oldest dd went without a stroller it was just her and I and we had a much better time, even she commented that it was nice not to have to hop in & out of the stroller! We packed light and took our time resting when we needed to. She did use a stroller one evening at Epcot when we had been at the parks since early morning but that was the only time. This December will be my youngest dd's first non stroller trip and she is looking foward to it. I am willing to rent if she gets to tired but plan to take it slow.
Enjoy
TJ

I would budget for the money to rent a stroller if and when he wants one. It depends so much on your son and your family's touring style. Do what makes your trip the best for you.

Jordan's mom

The trip we went when my kids were 3 and 6 we would rent two strollers. DD who was 6 and had very long legs looked a little goofy with her legs hanging out but was grateful for the wheels. This last trip kids were 6 and 9 and my DS age 6 refused to use a stroller. I got one at AK and it was a waste of $ as he refused to sit in it. I'd ask your 6 year old about it, maybe try it one day and see how it goes.

Our 6 yo last year got tired legs come half way around World Showcase! And there is a lot of walking at AK and MK as well. Our 9 yo last year even begged to be in the stroller. In fact my 36yo begged for a wheel chair come about 3pm LOL!!

We found having a stroller beneficial for not only tired little legs but also as a push cart for our backpack when we tired of wearing it. :D

:earsgirl:

Thank you for all the advice. I guess we will just play it by ear(ears) and rent if we need it. I will not, after reading the responses, feel silly if we do rent one...I was a little worried about that! BTW, don't think that the thought of having someplace to stash the stuff has not been a consideration! Might rent one just for that purpose! HA!
Grateful in Duluth, and heading into the twenty-something days til WDW! Wahooo!

We took DS last year a couple months after his 6th bday. We brought our stroller and he used it all the time. It was really convenient having it. Since he was in the stroller, we knew where he was all the time and he couldn't wander away. (We had the backpack hanging on it and the stoller tipped every time he got out so he couldn't sneak out without us noticing it). This year, he is too big for the stroller so we aren't bringing it. We are planning to rent one when he needs it, but I think he's ready to walk most of the time.

We went in May & intend to go back in Feb with our 6 year old. Before the last trip he asked for us to rent a stroller b/c he was sure he would get tired of walking. He used it a lot! It's nice to have a place to store things too. We'll rent another one in Feb,

You shouldn't feel silly at all! I rented them when necessary with my 7 yo DD in February and will do so in a couple weeks when we're back. They are nice sturdy things (except at MGM); sometimes I wish she would push me around for a bit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter