WDW with older people (ideas and what to avoid)

toonaspie

Just a poser
We MIGHT be doing a short Disney trip in the fall, me and my parents. They last went to Disney 20 years ago. DAK wasn't even open yet!

My dad will be 70 and my mom 60 this year. They are in good physical health for their age but I can't imagine them being able to handle intense rides they did about 20 years prior. My mom and I aren't big thrill ride seekers thankfully. We don't intend on doing any massive roller coasters or TOT or anything like that but I would like to inquire about the intensity level for the following attractions.

Which of these attractions would be okay or which ones would not be good?:

* Big Thunder Mountain
* Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
* Test Track
* Soarin' (my mom might get scared of the height factor here)
* Star Tours
* Dinosaur

I think my mom will love Disney Springs and the Food and Wine Festival. If there are also other ideas for things we can do down there, let me know (preferably the affordable stuff).

I am 71 years old. I would do any of those but Star Tours. But I couldn't do that decades ago. It makes me nauseous. I don't do R&R anymore but that's because I am not a big thrill ride person. The extreme version of Mission Space also makes me nauseous. Some people could not handle the Safari with it's bumps if they have serious back issues.

And I am NOT in good physical shape. But I've done all of the others fairly recently. I can still do Space Mountain too.

A lot of it is based on what someone wants to do. Forty years ago I went with a friend my age who LOVED the shows - while I preferred the rides. So maybe they CAN physically do somethings, but they just don't want to.

I find one of the most difficult things for me is getting OUT of boats that are down low. The intensity of the ride is not the issue. But because of my mobility issues I can no longer step up like I used to be able to do.

I always find these threads very funny. I'm 55 and my DH is 63 and we ride everything, including the intense rides at Universal. Age has nothing to do with it, while personal preference and physical health do. Of the rides you listed, Dinosaur is quite jerky, IMO even more than Star Tours.

I always find these threads very funny. I'm 55 and my DH is 63 and we ride everything, including the intense rides at Universal. Age has nothing to do with it, while personal preference and physical health do. Of the rides you listed, Dinosaur is quite jerky, IMO even more than Star Tours.
I beg to differ regarding age. My BFF was a true thrill rider all her life, she even went skydiving. On her latest trip she felt very unwell after riding R&R. It ruined the rest of her trip. My DH, also a thrill rider in his youth had major issues after the Harry Potter ride at Universal. It messed up his equilibrium. For a while I thought I would need to take him to the hospital. It took several days for him to feel better and weeks to return to normal. His doctor at home told him that our ability to tolerate thrill rides does change as we age, like it or not.

I find SDMT and Soarin’ to be smooth rides. Although I might ride the other four, I’m not a fan because I just don’t like to be shaken and jarred that much. For comparison purposes, I am not young, but I’m not as old as your parents.

Right... 70 here and I ride everything that I enjoy. There is nothing there that is what I would consider too intense. It really depends on the individual, their medical history, especially if back problems, or heart problems exist. If they don't, the sky is the limit. I would think you could let them decide what they want to do. If Mom, doesn't want to go on Soarin because of height issue... don't go on it, otherwise let them decide what they want to ride. The only caution I would advise is be sure and emphasize that some of those warning signs, especially on rides like Mission: Space need to be taken seriously. The one problem we "old" folks have is admitting that we aren't 21 anymore. Someone will probably have to drag my dead body off a good ride before I will say that might not have been a good idea to have done that one. My current philosophy is "Live until you can no longer".

I am 66 and my spouse is 68. We live on the west coast and did not even visit WDW until we were 61 and 63, but as soon as we did we were hooked! Now I plan two trips a year. For us it's the amount of walking that is challenging. We can ride anything, but we walk much slower than many people around us. We usually don't get to the parks until
10:00 AM and often leave for an afternoon nap if we plan to return in the evening. I will pay extra for a preferred room to avoid a long walk at the end of the day. We always say we will walk more and further at home to get ready for a trip, but usually we don't. We averaged 5.0 miles a day during a 9 night stay..no way do we do that at home! I hope you and your parents have a wonderful time together and make many wonderful new memories to share.

Sounds like each and every person is just a little but different. Seems that even a generalized consensus is going to hard to come by.

I'm 61. The only one of the six you mention that gives me any discomfort is Dinosaur. But I ride it every time I'm there. I'm afraid of heights and Soarin' gives me a little shiver but doesn't scare me. None of the rides you mention is too intense in my opinion, based on me.

OK ... everyone stand back .... I've got this from BOTH ends of the spectrum. Our first trip to the World was for my Mom-in-Law's 80th birthday. So for more fun, we included her 79 year old sister. They were both pretty secure on their feet and held their own, and were up for almost anything. Mind you that was 22 years ago and a lot more intense rides have come in. I was surprised that they got bored in Epcot World Showcase ... other than the eating! And wanted more action! Now with the shows at night ... there is such a great mix. And don't forget ... do a club night at Disney Springs or Jellyrolls (is that the right name) at the Boardwalk.

On your list Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is more a smaller children's thrill ride. Don't discount Splash Mountain .... that Zip-a-dee-doo-dah song lulls riders into submission before they dunk you. Mom and her Sis didn't stop laffing until we were back on sold ground ~ and they were soaked.

I'm turning 69 this June and DW just turned 72. Unfortunately her knees are not good ~ me I have no problem climbing in and out of rides. So for example Star Tours (new version is out) is easy entry and exit for her. Same with Tower of Terror. But getting down into that round river raft float is off the list. BUT ... we are planning the next trip! So my advice you young-whipper-snapper .... is get the WDW Planning Video get them to watch it and do some reminiscing ... and find out what THEY want to do.

Oh and Soaring ... another ride with a new visual experience ... my DW is not good with heights but thoroughly enjoyed this. And the around the world theme that replaced the California theme .... is really a lot of fun visually, so your Mom might be OK with it.

You guys are gonna have so much funnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

I'm currently 62 and have been making regular trips to WDW for the past 20+ years. My touring style has completely changed over the years from commando to stop-and-smell-the-roses, but I think that has as much to do with having gone so many times as much as my age. I still do the "thrill" rides, but ease of getting in-and-out of the ride is my highest criteria. For instance I don't do Space Mountain any longer, because the cars are so awkward to navigate.

Last edited:
I'd be more worried about the heat than rides. We have found as we age, our ability to handle the heat lessens. Yes, you said fall, but even late fall could still be hot

I'd be more worried about the heat than rides. We have found as we age, our ability to handle the heat lessens. Yes, you said fall, but even late fall could still be hot
We go in July so we tour parks in the morning before the heat becomes unbearable and are back at our resort for the afternoon. Depending on how we feel, we either nap or swim in the pool. We rarely return to the parks in the evening. We prefer to take full advantage of our deluxe resort and the deluxe restaurants. We watch fireworks from our resort or restaurant. The days of long park days are over for us.

I'm 65 and terrified of heights (I wouldn't go NEAR the edge on the Grand Canyon, even with a fence), but I love Soarin. Big Thunder Mountain was a little unfriendly with my tummy. Test Track is fine, I really enjoy it.

I'm coming up on 67. The only ride I don't go on is RRC. Not because of the ride, but because the music is way too loud and I feel like my head is going to explode from the noise. DW loves coasters but has neck issues so skips those with bumpy or jerky rides, but only because it hurts.

My parents are in their late 60s and while they’ve slowed their pace down a bit, until recently age was never a factor for them. Dad has a heart condition now so he’s a little more wary about thrill rides. That being said my 16 yo DS, who plays football and is in prime health, will not go on thrill rides at all - he just doesn’t like them.

I think it’s all just personal preference. If your parents want a thrill, go for it.

One of the things I like to do when I'm not at the parks or Disney Springs is visiting the lobbies of the deluxe resorts to have a drink, meal or just sit and take in the lobby and people watch. Animal Kingdom Village has free presentations about Africa which I enjoyed.

My mom rode SDMT when she was 75 for the first time and LOVED it. I would ask them what the would be interested in and what the would not.

My grandparents rode everything into their 80's except Space Mountain(because they found it hard to get in and out of the cars). Everest wasn't there before they died but I bet at least my grandma would have tried it.

My parents are now 68 and they'll ride everything on your list except Dinosaur. It's too bumpy for them. Space Mountain is also off the list because of the roughness BUT it's off my dh and my list too because of that.

I'm closer to 61 than 60 and ride just about all the rides and have no problems with the walking, we always walk between HS and Epcot even in August. I go with my son who is in his late 30s so the pace he sets is a little fast for me since I'm height challenged and have short legs and still have no issues. Some of the rides we don't ride is actually because of his limitations not mine, he has damage to the nerves in his spine so anything jerky he can't do and he has PTSD so enclosed spaces don't work. So when he is with me, no Star Tours, mission space, RNRC, space mountain, dinosaur. When he is not with me I don't ride Star Tours or Mission Space because they make me sick, those kind of rides did when I was in my 30s too. I don't ride Splash Mountain cause I don't like walking around wet all day. I don't ride RNRC, it hurts my neck because my head is too small and I'm too short for the seats so my head flies back and forth and bounces around. I've found hot tubs are my friend, bonus they have bars. I love F&W and have gone every year for the past 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!