We’re all going on a Summer Holiday to the Disney Parks -WISH July Lifestyle/Challenge

4Mickeys

DIS Veteran

Greetings friends! The first 6 months of the year are over! How has it been for you? Are you on track with your goals or do you need take a moment, regroup and bring it home these next 6 months? So to help us take that moment we all need lets head to the Disney Parks for some fun, relaxation and of course healthy choices. We don’t have a strict touring plan we could take some rides, see some shows, meet and greet our favourite characters, refuel in our favourite eating spots and just sit in a favourite spot and watch it all go by. And as $$ is no limit on this holiday we don’t even have to stick to one park we could explore any of them at any time.

My name is 4Mickeys and Motheroffherrocker and I will be your hosts for the month of July. We will be here to help you navigate those summer crowds and enjoy the relaxed but healthy summer days ahead.

Everyone is welcome to participate - so whether this is your first month, nineth month, or hundredth month... jump in and get moving with your goal. You can join us at any time and begin the first step of your journey to a better you! We're a positive supportive team here - all encouragement and no drama.

It's up to YOU to set your goal for the month. You can check in as little or as much as you'd like. All I need from you is a progress report before the Monday of a new week. We, as your hosts, will post your percentage progress report so you can see how you're ranking with the rest of the group.

The more you put into this - the more you will get out of it.

We will also have daily discussion topics to build a sense of community. You can chat about Weight Watchers, My Fitness Pal, Disney, Recipes, Walking, Disney, Running, Coaching Moments, and of course ... Disney!

If this sounds fun - then this is the place for you. Nothing is off limits.

This month we are CHALLENGING ourselves to make real PROGRESS on this journey to be slimmer and healthier. Participating is EASY! All you need to do is decide on your goal (5 pounds off, maintenance mode, 10K steps a day etc) and devise a PLAN to reach that goal.

Share your progress with us along the way and watch the color of your name change throughout the month!

PERCENTAGE TOWARD GOAL

1% -10%
11% - 20%
21% - 30%
31% - 40%
41% - 50%
51% - 60%
61% - 70%
71% - 80%
81% - 90%
91% - 99%
100% OR MORE!

It will be up to YOU to decide on your goal, your plan, and to report your progress either here on the thread or through a private message every weekend – We will accept progress reports anytime Friday through Sunday, but will try to update the list of participants every Monday morning.

If you have multiple goals for the month (example: "I plan to walk 30 minutes a day AND I plan to drink 64oz of water a day") please EITHER pick one goal to use for your progress reports OR average them both together when giving your report. It's just much easier for tracking this way. If you only use one of your goals for progress reports, that doesn't mean we don't want to hear how you're doing on your other goals!

NOTE: I am posting from Australia - so I will use your Eastern Time to post, I think that is the easiest way. So when I am posting at 8pm on my 1st July that will be your 6am 1st July – hope that makes sense. This way it should be there when you wake up (depending how early you rise haha). Then you can chat amongst yourselves for most of the day while I am sleeping and then I will jump on when I wake up and it will be the end of that day for you guys and I can see what you have all been up to and have a chat!

Good Morning and welcome to the First day of JULY!!!! Here we all are the main gates of Disneyland waiting in line ….. can you feel the excitement and anticipation of a fun first day and month together in the parks?

Don't be deceived the crowds are on their way - so hurry up and join us in line!

QOTD: While we are waiting for the CMs to open for the day let’s get to know each other – introduce yourselves and tell us about your goal for the month.

Bonus QOTD: Are you an early starter rope drop person when you are at the parks? Similarly are you an early starter in your every day life? Does this help you fit in exercise or a healthy breakfast?

Hello everyone I'm Sam, joining you from Australia where it is currently winter - but no-one has told the daytime that at the moment - we are really enjoying some beautiful weather. I am 44, a mother of 3 and work full time. Now that I am on my mid-year break from work - I have really been thinking over the last 6 months and frankly I am in a mess all around. Work is super busy, Activity went out the window at the end of last year and never got re-started, Eating has been up and down but really more off than on and Finances are just plain scary. So I am ready to use July to relax, regroup and re-focus for the rest of the year.

Goals:
  • To mostly eat home made meals for the month - I will be realistic as it is my father's 80th birthday this month and am planning a day out with kids in Brisbane next week - so there will be a few eat out days - I am going to try and limit these to no more than 10 across the month. So I have 93 opportunities to eat home made meals this month.
  • I set a little goal for myself for this break to do some active everyday... since I set the goal I have been successful 2 out of 3 days. So that will continue for the next week - once back at work I want to do something fun and active with kids on the weekends.
I will do it by:
  • Meal planning
  • Shopping for the plan
  • Tracking my savings in shopping (hopefully) against what I way overspent last month on groceries/takeout.
  • The twins will help somewhat with being active - they quite enjoy it - we will all have to grad that older DS out with out though.
  • Reminding myself that DS will graduate HS at the end of next year and I want to be looking and feeling different by then for those grad photos.
  • Co-hosting this month to help me feel more focused and accountable.
What might get in my way:
  • Me, me, me! I am my own worst enemy.
Bonus QOTD: When we were there we did rope drop some days but not all - I am soooo not a morning person at home - it is harder at the moment as we have the shorter daylight winter days - I am not getting any morning exercise at the moment but do make time to cook/prepare a good breakfast most days.

Went for a walk to the shops and back whilst the twins rode their bikes today - it around an hour round trip. It was good but boy am I out of shape - our street is on an incline and I had to stop 3 times - then to finish it off our driveway is really quite steep - so felt the burn in those legs today. I think I need some new shoes - my ankles were hurting during the walk. I am making home-made burgers tonight - DDs request - she wanted to celebrate be accepted to be a junior moderator on the Minecraft server she plays on.

I am in for July!

I am Jennifer, married mother to 2 DSs-18,21- I just finished up homeschooling for good so now while I was thinking lots of free time...DH is thinking I can finally go back to helping more with our business. I want to finally take some time to work on the hundreds of projects that have kept being put off over the years, from catching up on organizing photos and scrapbooks (which will never happen) to redoing the closet systems in the entire house. What i really need is a huge purge and garage sale!

I am in south Florida so it is very hot and humid and for whatever reason we have had hardly any rain this yr, so I try and find my steps and activities INDOORS! I wait until dark to walk the dog and it has been 83/86 w/70% humidity making it feel like 96+ at 9 at night!

I joined weight watchers in mid May, so far 6 wks down about 14 lbs gone. I still find it hard and a lot more work than I thought it would be. But I am sticking with it. My goals for July is to lose 4 pounds. This month I have 4 days @ WDW , 3 family birthdays at my place, and the 4th. I know it will be a challenge to stay on track.

Bonus Q - We do some rope drops if we have a specific reason, like a tour or plans for later in the day. It depends on the season as well. Are the hours long? Temps hot or cool? We prefer a sleep in, pool in afternoon or maybe a movie, shop, mini golf, and then dinner at a park and close it down. That was MUCH easier in years past, the hours are so much shorter now, started with only 2 EMH in the eve instead of 3. Loved being at MK at 3am!

Hi! I am Stephanie. I am 37 right now but will be turning 38 at the end of the month. EEK!!!! I have been married for 12.5 year and have 2 kids. (DS is 11 and DD is almost 10) Right now I am working on losing weight for our Disney cruise next year. I need to lose almost 20 pounds. If I get my act together I will hit this no problem. I work full time and then the kids activities get in the way of working out. July should be a little quieter as far as home life but work will kick my butt as this is our busiest time. Good thing I am not allowed to get over time. 40 hours a week and I am done thankfully.

My goal for this month is going to be to drink 20 oz of water a day at a minimum, track my food each day and lose 2 pounds. I will average each separately and then will average them together for a total percentage.

Bonus questions -- I am a rope drop to close person. My family hates me for this. I have had to learn to change my pace. We now take a break from about 12-4ish and swim and take naps. This only happens at Disney. At home I get up 15 minutes before I have to leave. Hair is usually in a ponytail and I am yelling at the kids to get ready. Most days I am late to work. Thankfully my boss does not care when I get to work (within reason) as long as I work my 40 hours. At Disney I get up with no problem and even do my hair and make-up (I don't wear make up very often). I found a shirt once that said "I only get up early at Disney". I really wish I bought it. Fits me to a tee.

from catching up on organizing photos and scrapbooks (which will never happen)

Oh yes I would love to go through all our photos and organise them also - it is just such a huge job - what I would really really like to do is have all of the older small video tapes from when the kids were younger converted so that we can watch them! So many missing memories on those.

I joined weight watchers in mid May, so far 6 wks down about 14 lbs gone. I still find it hard and a lot more work than I thought it would be. But I am sticking with it. My goals for July is to lose 4 pounds. This month I have 4 days @ WDW , 3 family birthdays at my place, and the 4th. I know it will be a challenge to stay on track.

You are doing awesome :cheer2: glad to hear that WW seems to be working for you. 4 days out of the month to celebrate that's ok life happens and we should celebrate our families and spending time with them - you have the rest of the month to make it count.

I am 37 right now but will be turning 38 at the end of the month.

Ooohh Birthday Month woohoo - what date? Then I can make sure to send you some special wishes on your birthday :P

My goal for this month is going to be to drink 20 oz of water a day at a minimum, track my food each day and lose 2 pounds. I will average each separately and then will average them together for a total percentage.

Great goals - especially the water intake - you got this :-)

At Disney I get up with no problem and even do my hair and make-up (I don't wear make up very often).

:rotfl2: I laughed at this - but only because after our first day in the park I headed for Sephora in DTD and bought myself some new make-up to wear - I got up and did my make-up and hair each day - after I realised how many photos I would be in and I wanted to look a little like I had made an effort and looked a little nice.

I found a shirt once that said "I only get up early at Disney". I really wish I bought it. Fits me to a tee.

Oh what a great shirt - I hate those regretful non-purchases.

Last edited:
Main Street USA

I warned you that summer crowd was on its way :rotfl2:
This reminded me of how much time we spend on our feet when we are visiting the Disney Parks. Of course our choice of shoes when in the parks and when exercising in our daily life can make or break our day or workout. So a two part question - what is your go to shoe for the parks? Are you all about comfort/practicality or do you like to be stylish? What about your workout shoes - again are you all about the function or do love a good splash of colour/design on them?

Bonus QOTD: Tell us your favourite shop or memory of Main Street USA

Looks like it is a slow start - but I did hear on the news that this weekend is one your biggest travel weekends due to July 4 - so maybe we will pick up a few more friends next week after the holiday 8-)

Last edited:
On our visit I started out not giving it too much thought - when I have visited theme parks here at home in the summer I would wear flip-flops, sandals etc. I found out the hard way this was not going to cut it on a bigger chunk of time on my feet each day for days in a row in DL, LEGOLAND and Universal - plus the heat - we came in September and it was also a heatwave in SoCal - Yes I know that is the hottest time of the year but the local news was reported heatwave conditions and record temps. So I ended up in runners - ones I had brought with me but then also splurged and bought some Nike's while I was there. So speaking of shoes I realised on my walk to the shops with the kids the other day I need to update mine - I am still wearing those Nike's I bought on my 2014 holiday - because I don't use them 'hardcore' for exercise so to speak I tend to think I don't have to update them every year as I don't really 'wear them out' - but I was noticing some ankle pain and realised if I want to get more active I am going to have to update them. So I will need them to be functional to ensure good support and comfort for walking but I do love a cute colourful pair of shoes :-)

I just love Main Street - and lingering wandering through the shops as you leave at the end of the day - but also one of my favourite memories was of us having breakfast at Carnation Café - I had a giant Mickey Waffle - it was soooo delicious and I loved the décor.

QOTD - shoes are crocs of one kind or another. In the winter I use the socks from Japan that can be worn with flipflops. I do have a pair of under armor sneaks I could break out at home but since i am just walking , it is still the crocks. They help with the heal spurs, planter fasciitus.

Favorite memory or shop- So many, probably watching the boys being in the parade activities, waving flags, holding the characters hands marching around. This was many yrs ago but still warms my heart when I think of it.

Happy Monday everyone :-)

upload_2017-7-3_21-40-45.png

Something fun and active happens at Coca Cola’s Refreshment Corner…. Musical Chairs with the Mad Hatter and friends. Now this fun childhood game can get quite active with the dancing around the chairs and then a last minute dash to grab a seat when the music stops.

upload_2017-7-3_21-42-9.png

How do you try to keep the fun in your activities for motivation – when was the last time you joined in a fun game that might be thought of as a childhood favourite?

Bonus Question: Have any of the kids your families gotten to play musical chairs with the Mad Hatter?

Favorite memory or shop- So many, probably watching the boys being in the parade activities, waving flags, holding the characters hands marching around. This was many yrs ago but still warms my heart when I think of it.

I know what you mean about those memories - I was at a conference and part of the activities including having to ask each other about our favourite holiday place - the first time around we were supposed to work out where that place was - well as my partner knows me - it was not secret where my favourite place was - but she wanted to know more about why I liked it so much - she did visit for 1 day herself a couple of years ago and liked it more than she thought she would - but clearly thinks I'm a little bit Disney crazy lol. Anyway in telling her I talked about how it had been such a long term goal and the joy of sharing it with my kids, watching them without a care in the world except what to see/do next and the fact that I don't have to feel like an adult (mostly) for a change. Well by the end of our chat I was getting teary remembering it and I had her teary as well!

How do you try to keep the fun in your activities for motivation – when was the last time you joined in a fun game that might be thought of as a childhood favourite?

Well this week I have been playing backyard (or rather front yard as we don't have a big area behind the house) cricket with the kids a few times which has been fun. I also have played musical chairs with the kids a couple of years ago when we had a Halloween party - we did a blindfolded version - lots of laughs there.

I have been having a good few days with eating at home - now I'm not going to say they have all been super healthy options - but I am in the phase that at least it was not take-out. Tonight takeout was very close - I dropped DS16 at work and told him would likely get pizza on the way home for the rest of us - but between dropping him and getting to the shops where the pizza place was I had talked myself out of it - and grabbed a few things to bulk out diner options at home - I had Chicken Soup (homemade from the freezer) with some bread, DS13 had an omelette and DD13 had a toasted sandwich. So yeah to me for finding the strength to say not to take-out tonight when usually I would so easily have gotten the pizza :banana:

Time to jump in to July and to catch up on the weekend activities... Hi I'm Lizanne :tink: .

So far this year has not been a healthful one, except for the 14 days of Whole 30 that I did back in early spring, before throwing it all aside in BBQ Heaven. I never got back on track, and am now heavier than I've ever been before. I had a really good check in with my doctor Friday though, and already feel like a new woman. For the adrenal test results she went right to the combined number and said it was too low and "you are tired" - bingo, everything turned around for me right in that moment... I'm not depressed or lazy, my body really is dragging. She gave me an herbal support formula and also recommended a sleep study, because having the morning result be so low indicates not getting enough restorative sleep.

I had a more productive weekend than I've had in months - there was a nap each day, but I kept chipping away at things and got everything accomplished that I had thought I would do. I bought a new bed which will arrive next Saturday... after laying on the beds in the showroom I could feel how worn out my old bed really is. I got eight bags of stuff taken to Goodwill which feels like losing eight pounds, and did various things around the house.

Now on the the QOTDs:

RD: I'm a RD or just after kind of person. My normal 5am wake up time equates to 8am in Florida so that's usually about the time I get up and get going. And I can be out of the door in 15 minutes or so while on vacation, because really, when it's so dang hot and humid outside what is the point of putting on makeup or styling your hair. I usually don't book my FP+ until 10 to 11-ish: I take advantage of the lower morning crowds to do stand-by before then, or I can get a later start if I feel like it. I do take a midday break back at the hotel for a power nap and a freshen up and then go out again for the evening, usually to EPCOT and usually until close or close to it.

Park Shoes: I always take three pair with me: comfort sandals and sneakers, and something a little bit dressier for the evenings. I'm a Keen girl, but also wear Merrels and Birkenstock's. My daytime park go-to's are my Keens slip on sandals.

Mainstreet: I'm not a huge shopper, so if you see me in a Mainstreet shop its for the air conditioning or to cut thru and stay out of the parade congestion. I'm not emotionally attached to the Castle so I don't go gaga over it when I see it, my MK trigger that tells me I'm really there is actually the bridge into Adventureland, when you start to hear the music... I get happy just thinking about it. When I had my Niece with me (back in the 90's :earboy2:) she got real excited about the little 'street' that's an off-shoot of Mainstreet that is full of flowers, so that does bring back sweet memories.

Keeping things fun: Ah, here in lays the challenge. Since walking is my primary form of exercise, I'll say going different places to walk keeps things fresh. Also having some fun exercise clothing to wear.

JULY GOALS: I'm going to throw down a number -5 pounds. I see the Nutritionist Wednesday and the start of the program is a 21 day anti-inflammatory eating plan, which is basically an elimination diet, so weight should come off very quickly at the start. I'll also put getting an average of 10,000 steps per day down as a goal.

Happy Fourth of July to all the other USA'ers... Happy Tuesday to everyone else. I'll be off-line tomorrow and Wednesday and then will check in Thursday.

I'm also jumping in! I had a crazy weekend and am just now finally starting to settle down from it.

I'm Ann, I'm 24 and I've been married for 4 years this month! My DH and I are currently enjoying a child-free time in our marriage (of indeterminate length). I started WW in mid May as well @4HOLIDAYS although I've only lost 6 pounds, so way to go! My big goal is to lose 25 by our trip to Hawaii in mid-November and my big big goal is to build and sustain a healthy lifestyle for our family. My July goal is 5 lbs lost.

I like @Oneanne's format so I'm going to borrow it to get caught up.

RD: I am a RD-close person. I don't mind paying for the magic of Disney but by golly I am getting my money's worth. It helps that we're kid-free so we don't have to worry about little feet getting tired or missing nap time. At home I wake up at around 5:30 am so early rising doesn't bother me, although I do go to bed by 9:30 pm like a grandma.

Park shoes: I love to Disneybound so in the past I've gone more for style over comfort, but still tried to be 'smart' by wearing cute sneakers like Converse or Keds. My feet still hate me, though, since they offer very little support. On my next trip I'm going to bring my beloved Chaco's as well as some actual supportive tennis shoes. For my shoes at home I try to go for whatever is affordable and won't kill my feet.

Mainstreet: I'm a huge fan of Disney glassware so I love to go to Crystal Arts and pick out a new glass each trip. It's pretty AND practical!

Fun: I get so SO bored working out so trying to have fun is huge for me. Right now I'm in a dance-heavy musical so my workout each day is dancing my butt off! It's going to be hard going back to running on the treadmill after that. I also work with kids at church so I get to play a lot of tag and dodgeball and such.

As for musical chairs, I stumbled upon this during my first trip to DL last year and it was awesome! I love how interactive the DL characters are compared to their friends at WDW. It was so fun to watch the delight of the kids for getting to play with Alice and the Mad Hatter. Too cute.

So excited for another month of progress! This group helps me stick to my goals and I love it!

QOTD- I really just walk. 10k a day. I find it to be work to make sure I get the steps, I am not at a point that this is a lifestyle or that I find it to be fun but I feel so much better when I get the steps in.

The last fun kid like activity was when we went to Disney Quest in May for 1 last visit. For me it was Ski-ball from when we were kids at the jersey shore, we loved getting the tickets at the arcade and see who could get the highest score. Of course, the kids loved all the air hockey, shooting games, old galaga games...they LOVE what to them is old time game consoles. We actually have a Miss Pacman tabletop game at home. I just find it funny what they think of as "old".

So far this year has not been a healthful one, except for the 14 days of Whole 30 that I did back in early spring, before throwing it all aside in BBQ Heaven. I never got back on track, and am now heavier than I've ever been before. I had a really good check in with my doctor Friday though, and already feel like a new woman. For the adrenal test results she went right to the combined number and said it was too low and "you are tired" - bingo, everything turned around for me right in that moment... I'm not depressed or lazy, my body really is dragging. She gave me an herbal support formula and also recommended a sleep study, because having the morning result be so low indicates not getting enough restorative sleep.

I had a more productive weekend than I've had in months - there was a nap each day, but I kept chipping away at things and got everything accomplished that I had thought I would do. I bought a new bed which will arrive next Saturday... after laying on the beds in the showroom I could feel how worn out my old bed really is. I got eight bags of stuff taken to Goodwill which feels like losing eight pounds, and did various things around the house.

You are not alone in going backwards so far this year - I have done the same thing :oops:. I am so glad that working closer with your doctor is helping you find explanations and solutions for you. We are so hard on ourselves at times aren't we? So I am glad to hear that you now know what is happening with your body so that you can not feel so down on yourself. You have also been grieving your SIL and helping your sister through hers at the moment which isn't an easy thing either :hug:. Ah a new bed sounds wonderful. I also took 6 bags to goodwill last week - a mix of the kids and my clothes that were outgrown or unwanted. Good luck with that goal that month - it feels like you are feeling much more positive :-).

I'm also jumping in! I had a crazy weekend and am just now finally starting to settle down from it.

Welcome back - glad to hear you are enjoying your weekend :cool1:

I'm Ann, I'm 24 and I've been married for 4 years this month! My DH and I are currently enjoying a child-free time in our marriage (of indeterminate length). I started WW in mid May as well @4HOLIDAYS although I've only lost 6 pounds, so way to go! My big goal is to lose 25 by our trip to Hawaii in mid-November and my big big goal is to build and sustain a healthy lifestyle for our family. My July goal is 5 lbs lost.

6 pounds is 6 pounds lighter than before you started it - way to go :cheer2:. Your big big goal is a great one - I so wish I had built more of a healthy lifestyle before I had kids so that it was more natural and sustainable. Don't get me wrong the kids are active (well mostly DS16 is a couch potato if not pushed), we do healthy but there is definitely room for improvement and some bad habits have been modelled for them. Good luck with losing that 5 pounds this month - hope we can help keep you motivated and on track.

I really just walk. 10k a day. I find it to be work to make sure I get the steps, I am not at a point that this is a lifestyle or that I find it to be fun but I feel so much better when I get the steps in.

Walking is a great exercise - it is so good that you are hitting that 10k mark each day and great that you notice the difference in how you feel when you achieve it. That should help with motivation to keep going - although I know exactly how you feel about it not being a natural part of your lifestyle yet.

The last fun kid like activity was when we went to Disney Quest in May for 1 last visit. For me it was Ski-ball from when we were kids at the jersey shore, we loved getting the tickets at the arcade and see who could get the highest score. Of course, the kids loved all the air hockey, shooting games, old galaga games...they LOVE what to them is old time game consoles. We actually have a Miss Pacman tabletop game at home. I just find it funny what they think of as "old".

I love playing arcade games - you are right they were so much fun we were younger and even now if I get the chance! And yes I find myself laughing at what my kids think of as "old" as well - because it is things from my childhood/teen years and I don't think that is old :scratchin - I'm sure we were the same though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts