We are going to Disney in 3 weeks, for our Spring break! update 6/12 Boma

What a great day! You seemed to time everything just about perfectly! So you did all 4 rides in that short amount of time?! We are in our debating early entry phase in my planning. We are staying at the Boardwalk and as of right now have our Hollywood Studios Day Saturday and MK day Sunday but we have thought of switching the two. I have a reservation for BOG for both mornings at 8:10 (once we decide we will cancel one of them). Doing EE is hard call to make when you live on the west coast... I am so worried about that time change switch!

Again great reviews and you guys seem to have amazing timing :)

We were just so lucky that morning. We couldn't believe that we made to DHS EMH before the rope drop and we got 4 rides done in 1.5 hours during spring break. We had very low expectations going in this vacay and decided we would enjoy it no matter how little we accomplish since it's spring break. It's really to enjoy nice warm weather and get some disney vibe. I guess it's easier for us to say that since it's our trip 20+ and with new APs, we knew we were going back soon.

Yum, your brunch looks and sounds like it was fantastic! :)

Yeah, we really enjoyed the brunch and how relaxing and bright it was at Cali Grill as much as delicious food.

Wow, you packed a lot into one morning. How awesome you got points to check out early. I think that may have even motivated me to do so.

I can't believe your AKL room was ready so early and your location looks great. One of our favorite resorts.

I think we may finally try CG brunch on our next trip and your pictures have me totally ready now. My only hesitation is paying $50 for the kiddo to eat. Mom to mom, how difficult of a pill was the cost for the kiddos to swallow?

I just couldn't believe our room was ready at AKL during one of the busiest season as parks were crowd level 10 every day of our trip.

Honestly, DS (13) now eats more than I do and he has been for last several years. Also like your Casey, he is pretty adventurous when it comes to what he eats. I don't think I've ever ordered him a meal from kid's menu anywhere even when he was little. But $80 price tag was one of the reason we decided to DxDP during our AKL stay. Cali Grill brunch made it easier for me to decide because although it is buffet, you get to order entree so just mentally, it was easier. I also knew that DS would eat his weight worth of sushi and he did. I think he had 3 plates full of sushi before he moved on to Charcuterie and other things. ::yes::I was quit surprise to see so many little ones at Cali Grill brunch that morning though.

Last edited:

After stumbling out of Cali Grill, we went back to AKL and swam a bit and took a short nap. Ahhh... vacation, you eat 'till your tummy's full and then take a nap. What better way to digests all that food! :rolleyes1 We really needed nap since we had really early morning plus busy one. This afternoon, we were heading to Magic Kingdom. As you probably noticed, we haven't yet set a food at MK. We were excited since we have some nice FP+ lined up. We decided to take bus since taking a car takes a lot longer to MK. A MK bus literally pulled up as we walked down to the bus stop. We were actually the last ones on the bus but it had plenty of seats. We actually entered MK at 5:25pm according to time stamp on my first photo. We had FP+ for Space Mt so off we went towards Tomorrow Land. On the way, we noticed that Buzz Lightyear only had 15 minute wait, so we rode that first before Space Mt. Afterwards, we wanted to ride People Mover but the line was zigzagged out really far, so off we went towards our next FP+. We rode Seven Dwarves Mine Train (had 170minute for Standby :scared1:) and then decided to ride Little Mermaid. It's cute and had nice 15 minute wait. At this time our Be Our Guest dinner ADR was approaching and both of us were still not hungry. I was really banking on DS being hungry so that at least I could have just ordered appetizer but he said that he wasn't really hungry either. We debated over cancelling but DS really wanted desert and was looking forward to it. So I thought we should just go in and order drinks and deserts. I've read on Dis that some people do this since they want to check out BOG so I figure, as long as I leave handsome tip, I wouldn't feel too guilty for taking up a table. So we checked in and waited about 15 minutes by the bridge before we were called. We've eaten at BOG several times before on all breakfast, lunch and dinner so we weren't new but we were still excited.

We were taken to two top table in the West Wing room. We've always choose not to dine at West Wing room since it's too dark for my taste. However, it was fine since we were just going to order deserts. Our server came and I quickly apologized that we will be just ordering drinks and deserts. We were thirsty, so we ordered our drinks along with iced water. Our drinks came almost right away and this is where I was starting to get uncomfortable. I noticed that our server rather put down our drinks hard on the table. And then he tossed down straws despite that I had my hand out for them. I should have just got up and left this point but I had my doubts. I thought I was maybe imagining it or self-denial at this stage. :( So we quickly perused the desert menu and DS picked Grey Stuff and I choose Strawberry Cream Cheese Cupcake. They came out fast which we didn't mind at all since we were there just for the deserts. However, our server gave our deserts rather unprofessionally by banging the dishes on our table. At this time, DS noticed as well. We decided to shake it off and enjoy our deserts. As well, the Strawberry Cream Cheese Cupcake was delicious (I love fruity flavored deserts). It was rich with frosting and moist inside. I did try DS's Grey Stuff, because I've only had the cupcake or the chocolate bar version and the tart version was new to us. It was good but we do prefer the cupcake/chocolate bar with Grey Stuff.

Even before we were half way finished, our server tossed our bill on the table. :faint: Dude! I get it that you want us to get out of the table but at least give me 10 minutes so we could finish our deserts. I handed him my credit card and I was ready for him when he came back with our final bill. I had my hand out for the final bill yet again, he tossed it on the table.:sad2: When finally DS was finished with his desert, I got up and started to look for a manager. I couldn't find one so I asked a CM near by and asked that I would like to speak to a manager on duty and we will be waiting for him in the study. Meanwhile, I asked DS if he would like to meet Beast. He is 13 and he's not interested in meeting characters at this point of his life but he readily agreed. I waited with DS in the study and a manager came quickly. I explained about the whole situation and just mentioned how disappointed I was about the service. He apologized about the whole situation and said that he would also talk to our server. He wanted to comp our meal but I refused since we ate the deserts and drank our drinks. There was nothing wrong with our food, the service was the problem. He gave me his business card and said that he would like to make up for the lack of our experience and would like to host us at BOG again during our stay. I explained to him that we are on DxDP and we have our ADRs set for the trip. He further offered, since we are AP holders and would most likely to come back, if we decide to eat at BOG on our future trip and need an ADR, I could personally email him and he would get us the time we need. I thanked him for listening and moved on to join DS for taking picture with Beast. It was one of the hardest moment of Disney vacations (and we've had many like 20+). I didn't want to show how upset I was to DS. There's no need to share unhappy thoughts. However, what our server did linger with me for awhile. Even when I was meeting and taking picture with Beast, we had wonderful interaction, I was replaying the whole experience. :upsidedow FYI, I've never complained at a restaurant before, Disney or not. It's not my personality. After our meet with Beast, we were surprised because the manager waited for us by the entrance of the castle. He handed me 4 sets paper FP for any attraction for our stay. He again, apologized for the experience and he did mention that he talked to our server. Later, when I went back to the room, I looked at his business card and noticed that he wasn't a manager of BOG. He is Guest Experience Manager of Magic Kingdom! o_O

After our less than stellar meal, we decided to shake the whole thing off by riding some thrill rides. We rode Thunder Mt FP+ and noticed only 25 minute wait for Splash Mt. but actually a walk on. Then we rode Pirates and decided at this time, we would have better deserts than BOG. :rolleyes1

First stop was at Aloha Isle for my beloved Dole Whip Float. :worship: I love this refreshing, tart goodness every day. Good news is that I've found a local ice cream place that had Dole Whip. Yay!!!

DS also went to Sunshine Tree Terrace and ordered Citrus Swirl. This is his favorite snack at WDW. It's a must for him every trip and he tried to get it multiple times through out a trip. I would be ordering if I do not have my Dole Whip.

While enjoying our cold treats, we watched Wishes while slowly exiting MK. We didn't wait want to wait for the Wishes to be over and didn't have the energy for the mass exodus. When we got to the AKL bus stop, only a few families were there, and a bus pulled up in a few minutes.

Last edited:
Wow sorry about the service, but glad that the manager tried to make it up to you. I am a Dole Whip lover too! I like the pineapple/pineapple but my DH likes the vanilla/pineapple. He now has to make a trip to the Poly to get it. :rotfl:

Joining late!

That brunch looked amazing. Sorry to hear about your BOG experience, glad to hear the manager really seemed to care.
And you salvaged the evening and got better desserts!

Wow sorry about the service, but glad that the manager tried to make it up to you. I am a Dole Whip lover too! I like the pineapple/pineapple but my DH likes the vanilla/pineapple. He now has to make a trip to the Poly to get it. :rotfl:

Yeah, whole BOG experience was salvaged by the manager but the server really made me upset. I've been to some restaurants that are famous for deserts (Cheesecake Factory comes to my mind) and only ordered drinks and deserts, and had a wonderful service, so this was totally unexpected. I like pine/pine but DS also likes vanilla/pine, that's why he settles for Citrus Swirl. We are too lazy to make a trip to Poly for it. :)

Joining late!

That brunch looked amazing. Sorry to hear about your BOG experience, glad to hear the manager really seemed to care.
And you salvaged the evening and got better desserts!

:welcome:

Cali Grill brunch was awesome. I am actually debating if we should do it again on our upcoming trip.

Wow, I'm shocked at the service you received at BoG. That is just plain rude and unprofessional. Glad you spoke up and said something so hopefully no one else will have to endure that.

that is so sad that the server acted like that. Wow glad the manager worked with you and tried to make it up to you.

Wow, I'm shocked at the service you received at BoG. That is just plain rude and unprofessional. Glad you spoke up and said something so hopefully no one else will have to endure that.

That was my exact thoughts when I complained to the manager. No one else needs to encounter that during the vacation.

that is so sad that the server acted like that. Wow glad the manager worked with you and tried to make it up to you.

That BoG server was the absolute the worst one we've experienced anywhere. However, I only have the wonderful things to say about the manager.

We came back to AKL around 9:40 and stayed up a bit checking up work email and DS watched a movie (Netflix) on his iPad. We had a late start next morning so we talked about how we liked Disney resorts as to Swan/Dolphin. As much as we like Disney resort, we will continue to use Swan/Dolphin as I am a platinum SPG member and free night at Swan/Dolphin > Disney resort prices. We went to bed around 11pm, I immediately felt asleep. However, I was woken up around 2am. There was some kind of heavy rolling sound outside. I tried to go to back to sleep and again after 30~40 minutes, I heard another heavy rolling sound. So every 30~40 minutes, I heard heavy rolling sound all night long. :sad: I was beyond tired but could not fall asleep due to the sound from outside. Finally, at 5am, I gave up and took a long~, hot shower. I went down to the lobby and looked for someone at the check-in desk. It was kind of eerie as there was no one, absolutely no one on that big lobby. I waited maybe 2~3 minutes and someone came out from the back. I explained to the CM about my problem and she immediate started to search for vacancy. She said that they are fully booked and she searched for awhile. After about 10 minutes, she said that she does have a room that she could move us immediately but it's further from the lobby but should be quiet. I agreed to take room but told her that I have a son who is sleeping at the moment and I would like him to get his full sleep. The CM said that as soon as we are ready to move, we could come back to the front desk and they would give us the room number.

I went back to the room and started to pack and waited little bit before DS woke up. Are you guys counting? Yep. In our short 6 night trip, we are moving 3 times (2 intentional resort change). :rotfl:So when DS woke up, I called the bellman and waited for them to pick up our luggage and the bellman asked why we are changing room. I explained to him about some kind of rolling sound and he told me that would be luggage drop off and pick up from the airport. I am a light sleeper so I heard everything but DS being a heavy sleeper, he didn't hear a peep. Anyways, our new room was on Zebra Trail, and half way down those long~~~ hall way. However, the view made up for the long walk. We had a partial view of the savanna. Right below our room had the people fence for emergency evacuation but perfect view of savanna. We've stayed over at AKL with savanna view before but this was nice view for standard view.

This day, we planned on sleeping a bit but since I didn't have much sleep plus packing/unpacking and moving made us hungry. We decided to go down to Mara for something light. Going down to Mara from Zebra trail was a breeze. Just the elevator down to the ground floor and we are next to the laundry and arcade which are next to Mara.

We burned some snack credit. Cheese danish was mine and chocolate croissant was DS. I could say that cheese danish was yummy with black coffee. It was just right balance of sweetness with black coffee. I'm pretty sure DS enjoyed his chocolate croissant and some hot chocolate. That tied us over till our ADR. As we had a late start on this day, we went back to our room and enjoyed watching the animals being fed. After awhile, we decided to head out little early for our ADR. We had Tusker House ADR for Rivers of Light package. I thought this was a great deal on DxDP since it was only 1 credit but $39/person (breakfast at Tusker House) if you pay out of pocket. I didn't consider doing lunch/dinner since we were on DxDP, I wanted only two meals/day and possible 1 TS credit meal and 2 TS credit meal each. So off we went to AK. The bus arrived within a few minutes. I felt like we were very lucky this trip with Disney transportation. We've had really long wait for the bus before. We arrived at AK within 5 minutes and there was no line for bag check and turnstile. We had 10:30 ADR but we were getting hungry so I walked to the check-in podium and asked if we could be seated early. The CM checked and said that she could immediately seat us. Score! It was 9:45. We were led to a two top table off a window that divided rooms. It was nice to put our phones/ camera on the window ledge as there was no table the other side. Our server came quickly and explained that we should have at least 20 minutes before the characters come. She took our drink order of POG juice and coffee, and gave me our RoL tickets. We went straight to the buffet. It was very busy at the buffet line, so I didn't bother to take pictures. I'm pretty sure that many of you saw the picture of Tusker House breakfast buffet.

Here are some pictures of our plates.

My plate. Ham with mustard was really good. I do love some good mustard. Also spinach quinoa salad was excellent. All the fruits were ripe and sweet.

DS's plate. He said that the scrambled egg with salsa was really good. He also liked the chicken curry with the rice.

POG juice. DS loves this and I think he had 3 cups.

DS's second plate.

Everything was delicious. We have not done character buffet in last three years as DS grew out of meeting characters. Even three years ago, we've only done it for the sake of my nephews (as we went with my sister's family). Anyways, we didn't really expect much from the character meeting. However, we really had a great time at Tuskers. One by one, characters came and spend great time with us. First, Mickey was very delighted to see himself on DS's t-shirt. DS was wearing a t-shirt that had fabulous four. He was so happy to spot himself and expressed to DS. Mickey came over to me while I was taking pictures and gave me a hug and motioned DS to take pictures for me and him. That was so funny and nice. Then Donald came and was very happy that I was wearing Donald t-shirt. He gave me two thumbs up. Donald is so full of himself! :rotfl2: He didn't like that DS had others on his t-shirt. Daisy gave lots of kisses to DS on his cheek and DS's reaction was priceless. :rotfl:Lastly, Goofy came and pointed Donald on my shirt and told me he is crazy. At this point, even my cool teenage DS was laughing and enjoying the moment. I have to say that his was one of the best character meet we've had. We had a good breakfast and nice time at Tuskers. We will definitely return here in the future visits. Since our tummies were full and didn't have anything particular to do, we decided to walk around trails and watch the animals.

Afterwards, since I didn't have much sleep, we decided to go back to AKL for much needed nap for me and DS watched a movie or two on his Netflix.

Hi! I'm hopping aboard your report! The elephant tour looks amazing. We've always wanted to do a tour, but we didn't want to spend a lot of extra money/time, but a more inexpensive one such as that seems right up our alley.

Hi,

I just found your report, first off the brunch at CG looks so delicious, then I am so sorry about the waiter at BOG, very inexcusable! It was nice the guest relations manager was so nice and offered some compensation!

We love Yak and Yeti and TH so really enjoyed your reviews. The ham at TH is my favorite, we had a similar view at AKL in February in our DVC studio.

Hi! I'm hopping aboard your report! The elephant tour looks amazing. We've always wanted to do a tour, but we didn't want to spend a lot of extra money/time, but a more inexpensive one such as that seems right up our alley.
:welcome:
Caring for the Giants was awesome and I think really good value. It only takes up an hour which is nice so that you could have a regular park day with the tour planned. I hope you do one soon.

Hi,

I just found your report, first off the brunch at CG looks so delicious, then I am so sorry about the waiter at BOG, very inexcusable! It was nice the guest relations manager was so nice and offered some compensation!

We love Yak and Yeti and TH so really enjoyed your reviews. The ham at TH is my favorite, we had a similar view at AKL in February in our DVC studio.

Thank you for reading! :welcome:
Cali Grill was delicious and service was excellent as well. Yeah, the recent BOG experience was the absolute worst we've encountered. However, the guest relations manager really was awesome. We love Yak and Yeti and TH. I really want to try Tiffin sometime but I think it might be hard to convince DS from his love of Yak and Yeti.

After much needed nap, we enjoyed some pool time and relaxed in the room. Also we enjoyed watching a giraffe trying to drink water from the watering hole. It took him forever.... almost 20~30 minutes to get himself positioned right.

Tonight's dinner is one of our favorite restaurant at WDW. Jiko!!! When I booked our AKL reservation, this was absolutely a must ADR. It is super convenient and their food is so good. We dressed up little since we like to for signature restaurants. We had one of the first sitting 5:35pm ADR and was promptly shown to a four seat table by the window. I think, we've sat on the same table last time we were here also. I do love that some restaurants that give us four-seat table as to two-seat table. I always feel so cramped and don't have enough place to put our phones, camera and my bag. Back to dinner.....
We were give warm bread and sea salted butter to start. Is it just me that miss their tandoori butter? DS, however, didn't have any problem clearing them and asked for more. ;)

Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin with Mealie Pap, Chakalaka, Truffle Oil and Micro Cilantro
This was DS's appetizer. I've always steer clear of gamey meat since I am pretty sensitive to the smell and taste of them. He tasted it first and offered a bite. This was excellent and didn't have any gamey taste/smell to it at all. DS asked for more bread and soaked the bread in sauce. I am pretty sure, the kitchen had nothing much to clean after DS was done with the dish.

Jiko Salad: Epcot Land Pavilion greens, heirloom apples, cookie crumble, dried fruit chutney, feta, walnut dressing
I wanted something light and green. This really hit the spot. It was very refreshing and light. I am actually craving this salad as I am writing about it. It was so good! :thumbsup2 DS is not a salad lover but he kept stealing some from my plate.

For entrees, we both decided for some meat!

DS ordered Jiko's famous Oak Grilled Filet Mignon that came with Bobotie Macaroni and Cheese, Grilled Delta Asparagus, Kachumbari, South African Red Wine Sauce. He ordered his meat medium and came perfect medium. He was very happy as he loves some good Red Wine Sauce with his steak. Also, his first Filet from Jiko came with mac and cheese, and that's how he fell in love with Jiko. He was happy to have mac and cheese accompanied with his steak. Mac and Cheese was good and had some kind of nut with it added some texture as well.

Botswana-style Seswaa Beef Short Rib: Cassava-Potato Purée, Sambal, and Mushrooms
I've went back and forth with scallop dish and this and ended up ordering short rib since we will be going to Flying Fish in a few days. This is very rich dish. I love all the flavors put together on this dish and the meat is so tender that you don't need a knife. Mine had some fatty parts which I left since I don't need to finish the dish. I love the cassava puree which balances the dish well as it cuts the spiciness from the sambal.

Malva Pudding: Melktart Ice Cream, Kataifi, Kanu Tuile, Cabernet Gelée
This was my dessert. Nothing stood out from the dessert menu but DS wanted dessert so I took our server's recommendation. I actually like the melktart ice cream more than the halva pudding. I think it has nothing to do with the taste of Malva pudding but rather the texture. I am not a huge fan of pudding as I don't like mushy texture. The bird's next part was thin cookie and it added interesting texture to the whole dessert. It was really good with ice cream.

Kilimanjaro - Tanzanian chocolate mousse, pistachio financier, pink peppercorn meringue, cacao nib crunch, ras el hanout pineapples
DS ordered this. I think it was good as he cleared this plate as well. Did you count it? Yep, DS cleared all three dishes that he ordered. Welcome to the clean plate club!

Our waiter brought sweet ending. It was white chocolate truffle. As both DS and I aren't so keen on white chocolates, we each took a bite but didn't finish this. (We are dark chocolate lovers.)
Our meal at Jiko was excellent! Our server was knowledgeable and efficient. We really enjoyed our meal and we will definitely return to Jiko as it remains one of our favorite restaurants at Disney.

After our meal, we went back to AK to use our FP+ and ROL. I'll include some photos of ROL. It was our first time seeing this show and definitely nice to have the tickets from the package as we didn't want to wait in long lines to see the show. We saw FP+ lines going all the way down to Yak and Yeti. :scared1: Although it was nice show to watch, I don't think it will be a must every trip. We will probably return to watch it again, when we take my parents.

Looks like an awesome day in AK & AKL and an even awesomer meal at Jiko. Its one of our favorites too!!!! Though yes I do miss the tandori butter. It made the bread even better!!!!

The dinner looks so yummy at Jiko, how nice your teen son is adventurous with dining. I would love to try it there, Andi is not quite as bold and she really doesn't like red meat:confused3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter