We did it ! We bought into DVC !

karen4546

DIS Veteran
My husband and I go to Disney every year (sometimes twice a year) since 2012. I have been on here since around that time and i scour these pages for tips, tricks and anything to make our trips go off without a hitch.

Long story short, we took a trip in December 2018 with 13 of us. Rented points like we had done the previous few years and the trip was fine, but with so many people- WE NEEDED A DO OVER for just us.
So, we upgraded to APs in December and booked a passholder rate for April 27-May 4. I scheduled a DVC tour (mostly for the gift card and fast passes) and to my surprise- My husband said we should do it.

WAIT ! WHAT ? my husband who never makes impulse buys, pinches every penny until Abe has tears and who eats out maybe once every few month wants to buy into DVC? Don't get me wrong, he spends money but ONLY on vacations. When we vacation - we go all out since we don't do much else with our money. We don't go to movies, eat out much, and are pretty much home bodies. DH and i both work full time and he has a small farm that takes up much of our (mostly his) time.

Anyway, back to DVC... we purchased a small 100 point contract at AKL with an August use year and so we are getting 2018 and 2019 points. We paid $167 per point. I know we will add on a resale contract within the next year or two (we have four married children and six grandchildren) because we will need large accommodations.

Just so excited to be part of the "cool kids" club. We should have done this years ago but better late than never right?

:)

My husband and I go to Disney every year (sometimes twice a year) since 2012. I have been on here since around that time and i scour these pages for tips, tricks and anything to make our trips go off without a hitch.

Long story short, we took a trip in December 2018 with 13 of us. Rented points like we had done the previous few years and the trip was fine, but with so many people- WE NEEDED A DO OVER for just us.
So, we upgraded to APs in December and booked a passholder rate for April 27-May 4. I scheduled a DVC tour (mostly for the gift card and fast passes) and to my surprise- My husband said we should do it.

WAIT ! WHAT ? my husband who never makes impulse buys, pinches every penny until Abe has tears and who eats out maybe once every few month wants to buy into DVC? Don't get me wrong, he spends money but ONLY on vacations. When we vacation - we go all out since we don't do much else with our money. We don't go to movies, eat out much, and are pretty much home bodies. DH and i both work full time and he has a small farm that takes up much of our (mostly his) time.

Anyway, back to DVC... we purchased a small 100 point contract at AKL with an August use year and so we are getting 2018 and 2019 points. We paid $167 per point. I know we will add on a resale contract within the next year or two (we have four married children and six grandchildren) because we will need large accommodations.

Just so excited to be part of the "cool kids" club. We should have done this years ago but better late than never right?

:)
Welcome home!

AKV is one of my home resorts. I just got back from a visit there and loved every moment. Congratulations!

Congrats! AKL was our second contract and we love everytime we go. Love the restaurants and just sitting out by the Savannah.
Hope you enjoy as much!

Welcome home! However it doesn't seem too much like an impulse purchase, buying small direct and then add on resale is a sensible plan.

Congrats! I'm sure you know this but, since you purchased direct you can bank your August 2018 points to next year even though you are past your banking deadline for 2018 (unless you are going to use the points by this August). Just call MS and they will put in a request. Usually takes about a week.

Congratulations and welcome home! That's a nice deal for a fully loaded contract without having to deal with the headache of ROFR.

I'd never heard this before, and it's making me laugh. Love it!

You know, i was iffy about the direct points but when they took away the perks for resale then if i want to be able to get those perks i would need to go direct. I thought the price was ok and like you said- it is loaded :) I really wanted a December use year but my rep said August or June and if i chose June then i would have to do something with the points by the end of May and i have not received the paper work yet. BTW our rep said they would fedex the documents on Monday. Just anxious and I know we have to sign a portion of the documents in front of a notary. So, I would love to get them to me and sent back this week.

Oh yeah, and the rep said that if when i decide to book a vacation to call him because they "have inventory that may not show on the member site". Any other tips? really anything ?

You know, i was iffy about the direct points but when they took away the perks for resale then if i want to be able to get those perks i would need to go direct. I thought the price was ok and like you said- it is loaded :) I really wanted a December use year but my rep said August or June and if i chose June then i would have to do something with the points by the end of May and i have not received the paper work yet. BTW our rep said they would fedex the documents on Monday. Just anxious and I know we have to sign a portion of the documents in front of a notary. So, I would love to get them to me and sent back this week.

The rep should be able to give you any UY you want. If you choose one after now (Jun/Aug/Sep/Oct/Dec) they should still give you loaded points.

The rep should be able to give you any UY you want. If you choose one after now (Jun/Aug/Sep/Oct/Dec) they should still give you loaded points.
Direct contracts are expensive but awesome. Always fully loaded with points for current UY and dues are prorated so you only pay for the portion of the UY that remains. Even if you buy a contract on the last day of your UY, you will get that UY's points (and pay basically $0 in dues!). And direct contracts get a one time banking exemption if you are past the banking deadline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!