We Knew It Was Coming . . .

Mine too. My 16yo still has and uses a purse she had autographed years ago, when she was 9 or 10. She's got a couple of pics from past trips up in her room too, but none of characters - they're of her with her brother & sister, or with my brother, or her BFF who traveled with us once.
Yep. My hat, the one in the picture, was signed in January 2012. It was our, "remembering my Dad" trip that we took just two months after he passed.

That is my memory of that trip. Not all of the pictures. No, it is my hat. I wear it at Disney and around here, and every time I put it on, I smile. I remember that we had dessert with every meal. Dad loved dessert. We spent time just watching the boat- at Epcot, at Disney Springs, everywhere. Dad just loved watching the water and the boats near his house. Did I mention dessert? That hat is what triggers those memories.

It didn't take any more time to sign my hat as it would have to sign a book. And I can't wear a book.

I do think this sucks, though I know it is challenging for costumed characters to hold pens. That said, I remember Sully had a self inking stamp thing to sign: no reason they couldn't have those? Face characters could sign easily....It takes longer when there is a large family before your small table; I have never been upset waiting (only upset when my table gets attacked by someone else's kids.) But "world class service" as they talk about in their surveys means making the customer feel special-not inconvenient.

In my experience, it's more of the larger groups taking the character time as a personal/private interaction. (Multiple poses for photos, asking for specific interactions with each member of the party). I understand that character dining is not cheap and everyone deserves their chance to interact, but there should also be some sort of limiting factor on time per table.

But say it's a Group of 12. They're all together instead of being at 3 separate tables. They are going to take extra time. If each table gets two minutes they should get 6. i expect a large group to take double the time of my family of 4.

Cards cost a LOT less than employee time. Employee time as costumed characters includes both training (to sign with character consistency - every Aurora has to have the same signature, every Pooh, etc.) and time at table (sign 3 books, a pillow case, a quilt square and this template for Bob's tattoo).

A card, printed by the zillion? Less than a nickel each and that's if they do full color glossy. Includes one-time costs of design.

Wow, I never realized every character has the same signature. It means sense, but I never thought of it. :teacher: My signature changes on a daily basis, so I guess I assumed that was the explanation for different sigs. Wow, that is extra investment in training. Thanks for the insight. :cutie:

But say it's a Group of 12. They're all together instead of being at 3 separate tables. They are going to take extra time. If each table gets two minutes they should get 6. i expect a large group to take double the time of my family of 4.
Yes!
Why is are some people in such a rush? Just enjoy the experience. Encourage your kids to find joy in seeing other enjoy their time with the characters while they enjoy their meal. Their turn will come soon enough. Of course a large group will take more time. So they want a few extra pictures. Will five minutes really make that much difference?

From my interactions with various characters, they really enjoy what they do! And they try to make it magical send special for all.

Of course a large group will take more time. So they want a few extra pictures. Will five minutes really make that much difference?

Maybe my experience at Crystal Palace is why people flip out on how long it takes to get through tables. It will make a world of difference in patience if the CM's have told the party at seating time, "it's about 40 minutes to see all the Characters", you've eaten 3 plates of food, and you're STILL waiting on one character. You've waited 15 minutes for this Character to get to your table, now time is ticking down for your Ride FP+ and you have half an hour to traverse a massive Park (with disabled adults and a small person) or you will lose your FP+. Not to mention, you know the first bathroom you pass, everyone will need to stand in THAT line too!!!
And that family over there is creating some sort of karaoke video with Piglet!!! And then they need to take pictures of each kid, alternating with a sibling or cousin... holy moly, at this point, I'm like, "wish MemoryMaker would just GIVE them the restaurant camera footage, this is insane..." Finally Piglet did come to us, but was being reminded by the handlers about every 2 seconds, "the Parade! we gotta do the Parade!" so I was glad I wasn't taking video footage! We got hugs and a semi-group picture (orrrrrr what happens when four people glomp onto Piglet simultaneously and take the picture they get) before Piglet was almost dragged over to start the Character Parade.

If you have a large group, please please please figure out what will work the fastest logistically. Get all the Sharpies out with caps pointed the right way, get all the wet wipes ready, let the kids eat second after meeting the Characters, whatever it takes, but please remember you are not at Disney all by yourselves... for some, the anxiety of having very tight schedules messed with is a recipe for disaster and meltdown. Which is also a feature of large groups so it works very smoothly for everyone if you can get your larger group somewhat organized... don't be that family who has the baby wedged in the stroller and then only after Mickey shows up, they lift the baby up and try to get the Ears/costume on and take photos. Hold up the baby for Mickey to see... as he is walking up to your table...

Something that I think would aid in quicker meets is if servers were able to give a bit of a heads up when characters will be coming soon to your table. With Crystal Palace, we were on the left side of the restaurant, and all we were told was that characters would be coming from the right side and then we would be the first table they would go to. Well, the character topiary display with the Friendship Day banner completely blocked our view of the other side of the restaurant, and we didn't know what the last table was in the rotation over there anyway. We tried our best to pay attention to when a character was walking over, but our view was limited, plus the characters sometimes took a break or started the parade before coming to our side. It was difficult to be completely ready when the characters did come over because we just didn't know when it would be. With the other character meals we went to (TH, CRT, BV, and GG) , we were just given a general direction from where the characters would come, but still didn't know which table was before ours, so until we learned that, it did feel very confusing. I know it's not realistic to expect servers to warn every table when a character is coming, but if they could be more specific about the order of tables the characters go to, and maybe provide extra guidance to those few tables that can't see the previous table, it would probably leave diners a bit more prepared.

I did always have the autograph book open with a marker on top on my lap so I could at least get the character signing while I quickly cleaned up my toddler's face and hands. But when I have no idea when a character will be by, I'm not going to push my toddler's highchair away from the table so he can't reach his food (because he doesn't understand sitting in front of his plate and not being able to eat) for who knows how long so he won't have dirty hands when the next character arrives. It makes it difficult too when you do know the rotation but have no clue how long the tables before you will spend with each character, because if you don't time it perfectly with getting the kids cleaned up, you're stuck rushing when a character gets there. If you clean them up too soon, then your toddler gets upset because you're not letting him eat the food in front of him, or you take him out of his highchair and he thinks it's time to walk over and say hi to Pooh when he's meeting another table.

Character meals are stressful, but I feel like there has to be a better way to do it.

In my experience, it's more of the larger groups taking the character time as a personal/private interaction. (Multiple poses for photos, asking for specific interactions with each member of the party). I understand that character dining is not cheap and everyone deserves their chance to interact, but there should also be some sort of limiting factor on time per table.
Sure, I'd agree with that as long as there is also some sort of limiting factor on cost per table. Family with 6 kids pays the same total price as family with 1 kid.

Otherwise, if a family with 1 kid gets 2 photos and one autograph for their 1 kid, the family with 6 kids should ALSO get 2 photos and one autograph for EACH kid (so total of 12 photos and 6 autographs.)

We sat next to a family at the Plaza Inn at DLR (a character breakfast). It was a table of 15 with probably 6 or 8 kids. One mom had brought books, t-shirts, and pillowcases for EACH KID. 6 kids x 3 items each = 18 signatures per character for their table. It was nuts. The kids were barely at the table, though, and they didn't take many pictures, so that did kind of "make up" some time.

So on the one hand, I am sad characters at some meals will no longer sign my daughter's book. She loves characters and loves getting signatures. (Although we've met pretty much every character meal character multiple times at this point. We are on book #2 after three trips.)

On the other hand, I get it.

We sat next to a family at the Plaza Inn at DLR (a character breakfast). It was a table of 15 with probably 6 or 8 kids. One mom had brought books, t-shirts, and pillowcases for EACH KID. 6 kids x 3 items each = 18 signatures per character for their table. It was nuts. The kids were barely at the table, though, and they didn't take many pictures, so that did kind of "make up" some time.

So on the one hand, I am sad characters at some meals will no longer sign my daughter's book. She loves characters and loves getting signatures. (Although we've met pretty much every character meal character multiple times at this point. We are on book #2 after three trips.)

On the other hand, I get it.
What would you have thought if it was a party of 3; 2 adults and one kid...and the mom brought 3 items to be signed for that one child?

Maybe my experience at Crystal Palace is why people flip out on how long it takes to get through tables. It will make a world of difference in patience if the CM's have told the party at seating time, "it's about 40 minutes to see all the Characters", you've eaten 3 plates of food, and you're STILL waiting on one character. You've waited 15 minutes for this Character to get to your table, now time is ticking down for your Ride FP+ and you have half an hour to traverse a massive Park (with disabled adults and a small person) or you will lose your FP+. Not to mention, you know the first bathroom you pass, everyone will need to stand in THAT line too!!!
And that family over there is creating some sort of karaoke video with Piglet!!! And then they need to take pictures of each kid, alternating with a sibling or cousin... holy moly, at this point, I'm like, "wish MemoryMaker would just GIVE them the restaurant camera footage, this is insane..." Finally Piglet did come to us, but was being reminded by the handlers about every 2 seconds, "the Parade! we gotta do the Parade!" so I was glad I wasn't taking video footage! We got hugs and a semi-group picture (orrrrrr what happens when four people glomp onto Piglet simultaneously and take the picture they get) before Piglet was almost dragged over to start the Character Parade.

If you have a large group, please please please figure out what will work the fastest logistically. Get all the Sharpies out with caps pointed the right way, get all the wet wipes ready, let the kids eat second after meeting the Characters, whatever it takes, but please remember you are not at Disney all by yourselves... for some, the anxiety of having very tight schedules messed with is a recipe for disaster and meltdown. Which is also a feature of large groups so it works very smoothly for everyone if you can get your larger group somewhat organized... don't be that family who has the baby wedged in the stroller and then only after Mickey shows up, they lift the baby up and try to get the Ears/costume on and take photos. Hold up the baby for Mickey to see... as he is walking up to your table...

How about if that group of 12 is with 3 families of 4. If they were at their own table they would probably 2-3 variations of pictures. Now that they are all sitting together it's probably 9-10 variations. It takes up the same time as if they were split up into their own tables.

I will say the ones who don't have a thing prepared when the characters come around make me wonder but I get it. Everyone is on overload. It's ANOTHER thing to remember when you are probably tired and hungry yourself.

Character meals can be stressful. I'm glad those days are behind me. If we do another character meal it'll be just for a picture or two and no autographs so much less stressful.

Last edited:
What would you have thought if it was a party of 3; 2 adults and one kid...and the mom brought 3 items to be signed for that one child?

Sorry, I thill think it's overkill. Be courteous of others. We are a party of three. My daughter has her book signed, chats with the character, takes a picture, and then we allow them to move to another table.

Just to note our recent experience - We were at WDW Aug 26 - Sept 4 and did 'Ohana, Tusker House, Hollywood & Vine, Chef Mickey, Garden Grill & Crystal Palace and all signed books. H&V handed out a card (it was a surf board shape), but signed the books as well.

So has anyone been at any if these places the past week that can update?

Like PP, we were there 8/26-8/31. We ate at Akershus, Hollywood & Vine, Tusker House and Trattoria al Forno and all characters signed both of my niece and nephew's autograph books. No cards were even offered to us.

Any other recent reports, from say today or last week? Another article is making the rounds today that autographs at meals have been canned entirely.

Guess there's no longer any need for me to spend my money at these over-priced, mediocre locations, OR get a dining plan (to take the sting out of paying). Thanks, Disney! :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter