We Knew It Was Coming . . .

Any other recent reports, from say today or last week? Another article is making the rounds today that autographs at meals have been canned entirely.

What is the source on the article? With so much Disney content being fan-generated, one article or report often spawns more even without any corroboration or support (search for the "Cali Grill is now a buffet" thread to see it in action!) so that may just be a rehash of what we've already gone over.

I think they put the feelers out on this kind of stuff to see what the response will be like. I am guessing the response is not good :)

I am also guessing servers are also getting lots of questions/complaints about the reports about no autographs - since our CP server on 9/5 made it very clear right off the bat that characters would be signing.

Another note - we did 3 character meals in 2.5 days last week before Irma cut our visit short (1900PF, CP and Akershus) and didn't have to wait for a character once. I don't know if they've gotten better on the timing or what, but our servers were awesome at alerting us to when we should get food or not, and there was very little lag between characters. We also had a decent amount of time with all of them. I was pleasantly surprised because so many reports on here state the opposite.

I should add that we always do early seatings (first dinner, first lunch, etc.) so maybe timing is better just because it's near the start of service at some places? I don't know. It's always less chaotic (to me) in those places at the earlier seatings.

i haven't read 1 actual report about characters refusing to sign....i think this was just something they were testing out by passing out the pre-signed cards. and maybe HOPING the cards will cut down on the number of autographs? But again....HAS there been even 1 report anywhere of characters refusing??

What is the source on the article? With so much Disney content being fan-generated, one article or report often spawns more even without any corroboration or support (search for the "Cali Grill is now a buffet" thread to see it in action!) so that may just be a rehash of what we've already gone over.
I think it must be something like what you're describing. It was not an official Disney article and I don't remember seeing it quote any official Disney sources.

I first shared the CP signature card back on Aug 17th (it had just started that week), and guessed that they would roll this out more widely. https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-signature-card-at-crystal-palace.3626921/

Doesn't really impact us. We do these meals because we like the food (CP breakfast, TH lunch, etc.). We leave whenever we are done (45min to 60min max), even if we haven't seen all the characters.

For those who just want to see all the characters without taking 70-90min for a meal, this will be an improvement! I do get that for some, not getting the "live signature" will be a disappointment. Apparently not enough people in this category, though.

Like with MOST changes in WDW, sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't, but I can almost always see the business reason -- and I have no problem with that type of decision-making.

i haven't read 1 actual report about characters refusing to sign....i think this was just something they were testing out by passing out the pre-signed cards. and maybe HOPING the cards will cut down on the number of autographs? But again....HAS there been even 1 report anywhere of characters refusing??
I don't know about characters REFUSING. I was told back on 8/17/17 by our waiter and the handler that characters were "no longer signing" -- that these cards replaced that. Don't know how this has worked out in practice so far since then.

So the autograph was worth $45 up until now? Why eat there if you consider it "mediocre frozen cafeteria food"?

Absolutely not, with the autograph came interaction. we do character meals to get a special interaction we can't get in the park.
you can't tell me anyone goes to Hollywood & vine for the food. I am not saying spend 20 min with every kid but how about limiting each kid to one autograph instead of 3?

Absolutely not, with the autograph came interaction. we do character meals to get a special interaction we can't get in the park.
you can't tell me anyone goes to Hollywood & vine for the food. I am not saying spend 20 min with every kid but how about limiting each kid to one autograph instead of 3?
You can have interaction without autographs. We've never collected signatures and have had plenty of fun moments with the characters.

H&V does not do autographs either, they do the signature card, and they had hands down the best character interaction on our last trip. I had read it was really good there but figured that was a very individual thing... but nope, it was GREAT! Daisy mimed a whole conversation about my son's stitch and pikachu shirt with him. It was great! He really came out of his shell to talk about it with her.

I thought we might get pillow cases signed, to use for Christmas Stockings. (But, with the controversy, we'll probably leave it)

I thought we might get pillow cases signed, to use for Christmas Stockings. (But, with the controversy, we'll probably leave it)
And drawstring bags and storage sacks... that was my plan.

I have been scouring thrift stores to find all kinds of pillowcases that can be signed.
So far I have: Tink, Jasmine, Aurora, Snow White, Pocahontas, Ariel, and Anna/Elsa.

I hope that we can still request these items be signed at M&G for these characters!

What's some neat ideas for things, besides autograph books to have signed?

I did a purse for older DD and younger DD wants me to do the same for our next trip. Tablet-sized, similar to the Dooney crossbody size and shape, with a flap closure where the characters can sign.

I also like the idea of getting certain characters to sign a photo mat that you can then use to frame the pics you got with them. This works better for park characters that meet in pairs/groups, like Joy & Sadness, Pooh & Tigger (MK park meet, not CP), or Safari Mickey & Minnie, or on a mat for a collage-style frame so the same characters that sign can be featured in the photo(s)

And drawstring bags and storage sacks... that was my plan.

I have been scouring thrift stores to find all kinds of pillowcases that can be signed.
So far I have: Tink, Jasmine, Aurora, Snow White, Pocahontas, Ariel, and Anna/Elsa.

I hope that we can still request these items be signed at M&G for these characters!
I was just going to get a plain one for each child (2) and have everyone sign that.

I'm excited to hear we may be able to request autographs. I have a small book we made with pictures of my kids with each character - have never done autographs before. Hoping I can now get the characters to sign the page with their photo. Thinking good thoughts for everyone that wants an autograph! pixiedust:

I'm not sure if this helps but a shop on etsy has this cute print with signatures. I know it's not the same as getting them in person, but it'd be a nice way to reveal a trip to kids or at least have them all together. I tried to post the link but it didn't work. Just go to etsy and search for the shop called SincerelyChampagne.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter