We live in the golden age of cereal!

Shredded wheat is healthy, but tastes like crap. My parents used to eat the kind that were big bricks (not the spoon sized ones and not frosted). They’d soak them in milk but no sugar. To me it was like eating a little bale of hay. :crazy2:

Shredded wheat is healthy, but tastes like crap. My parents used to eat the kind that were big bricks (not the spoon sized ones and not frosted). They’d soak them in milk but no sugar. To me it was like eating a little bale of hay. :crazy2:

That's my favorite cereal. In large part because it doesn't get soggy, I hate soggy cereal. I want cold milk with crunchy cereal. :) I do tend to buy the flavored varieties when I get it, cinnamon is the best. :) :)

Anyone remember Freakies cereal?

s-l640.jpg

The main cereal we had when I was growing up was Kelloggs Frosted Flakes.

Us, too. I ate it every weekday morning for many, many years in a row. When I was a junior in high school (I think), I poured my bowl of Frosted Flakes with milk, sat down with my spoon, and my brain suddenly revolted. "I cannot eat another spoonful of this cereal." And I haven't had it since! I guess I ate it one too many times in a row!

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

so groooooooooooooooooooooooooooss. you do know fruity pebbles is all the other cereal that's fallen on the floor at the cereal factory, been stepped on and got swept up? (at least that's what i've told my dh and kids for years b/c i can't stand that stuff-it turns to mush the minute you add milk to it and turns to superglue upon drying out). cocoa pebbles is simply the fruity pebbles that got stepped on by the dirtier boots in the factory:p

Haha it’s a polarizing choice! I’ve just always preferred fruity sweet things over chocolatey. I was also the weirdo kid that traded all my chocolate Halloween candy for Good n Plenty lol btw the lesser known Good n Fruity was the best candy ever!

Shredded wheat is a high glycemic carb. It is still not good for you. The high fiber content helps but to call it healthy is a stretch.

While none are going to win the "super food" contest, some cereals are better for you than others. Fruity Pebbles? Why not just eat a couple of tablespoons of sugar and move on with your day? LOL.

I'm a small amount of granola in plain greek yogurt kind of girl myself. I like the texture contrast.

I've not eaten a "bowl" of cereal in a really long time. Not my thing.

This thread reminds me of a King of Queens episode. Arthur decided to order a case of a cereal from his childhood. Captain Salt. :crazy2:. Pretty funny. Growing up I was a Alpha Bits and rice krispy kind of kid. Never did like real sweet stuff and don't to this day. If I eat cereal today is something like Honeynut Cherrios ( which give me indigestion. Geez getting old sucks) or Great Grains.

Shredded wheat is a high glycemic carb. It is still not good for you. The high fiber content helps but to call it healthy is a stretch.

"High glycemic"carb means nothing to a healthy person with no blood sugar or insulin issues. Whole grain shredded wheat without added sugar is one of the best things you can eat for breakfast if you pair it with milk for some protein and fat. It's a very well balanced meal. It is a one ingredient cereal, like oats. Oats are also very healthy. Any cereal with one ingredient that is a whole grain, SEVERAL grams of fiber per serving and zero sugar is a healthy cereal.

The constant villainization of carbs is getting old.

No actually. :sad2: Nobody anywhere. :laughing:
I will certainly each my cereal crunchy, but does anyone else prefer soggy cereal like me?
My DH does...it is so gross...he just leaves it sitting out for like 10 minutes.

My only exception is Grape Nuts. I will let Grape Nuts sit for a little while, but they still aren't soggy.

I have been trying to lose weight, so not eating a lot of cereal around my house now.

My faves have always been grape nuts and life with some sugar on it.

However, a bowl of golden grahams or cinnamon toast crunch is still divine now, at almost-41..

To me the golden age of cereal was 1964-1974.

Ah, back when manufacturers proudly shouted "SUGAR!!" right on the packaging.

I miss Quisp. I heard somewhere that it my be coming back.

I notice Quisp occasionally. I tried it for old times sake about five years ago but only ate one bowl before throwing it away.

remember 'pink panther flakes'? they turned the milk pink (and 'tickle you pink').

Yep, I begged my mother to buy it in the early 70s and was horrified when the milk turned pink.

I often chose cereal based on the toy inside and assured my mother that I'd eat it. :rolleyes1 I

I had at least one Archies record from the back of some cereal box. Can't remember which.

Ah, back when manufacturers proudly shouted "SUGAR!!" right on the packaging.

I had at least one Archies record from the back of some cereal box. Can't remember which.

Me too. Ironically, I think it was Super Sugar Crisp, and the song was “Sugar, sugar”.
:rotfl2:

I don't like to eat desert for breakfast. Seem like there is more sugar and calories in many of those cereals than a bowl of ice cream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts