We live in the golden age of cereal!

"High glycemic"carb means nothing to a healthy person with no blood sugar or insulin issues. Whole grain shredded wheat without added sugar is one of the best things you can eat for breakfast if you pair it with milk for some protein and fat. It's a very well balanced meal. It is a one ingredient cereal, like oats. Oats are also very healthy. Any cereal with one ingredient that is a whole grain, SEVERAL grams of fiber per serving and zero sugar is a healthy cereal.

The constant villainization of carbs is getting old.
High glycemic foods have been tied to cardiovascular disease in otherwise healthy people.

Granted I have little faith in any food related finding. There have been zero statistically relevant dietary studies. Not once have the study participants managed to eat as the study dictates long enough for the findings to be statistically relevant.

Not only are carbs still up in the air, so is sugar!

I'll continue to eat what every I want, in moderation.

While none are going to win the "super food" contest, some cereals are better for you than others.

I heard somewhere that regular Cheerios was the best (which is nice, since I actually like those!)

When I was a kid, though - Cookie Crisp!!...and Peanut Butter Crunch...and FrankenBerry/BooBerry (depending on whose turn it was to choose)

Growing up we didn't have sugar cereals in the house because my dad thought it was a waste of money (because he didn't eat it), so the only time I got "kid" cereal was when I ate it at someone else's house. Every once in a while my mom would take pity on us and secretly buy us a box of something (usually Honeycomb) and hide it, and we were only allowed to eat it when my dad wasn't there.

As an adult I still like all those sugary kiddie cereals and will get some when the mood strikes me. Cap'n Crunch, Froot Loops, Lucky Charms, and Cocoa Puffs are my favorites.

I occasionally enjoy Froot Loops as a snack, without milk.

Growing up, Rice Krispies and Cheerios were staples in our house. Rice Krispies with chocolate syrup is really awesome!

I saw at the grocery store yesterday "Cinnamon Toast Crunch Churros." *Mind Blown* - I was gonna grab a box, but then I remembered I'm a grown man with a wife and kid at home. DAMMIT!
Buy the cereal!

Lewis Black said it best about dressing up but it applies to cereal as well.

lewis.jpg

Look, it's been the golden age of cereal since Fruity Pebbles was invented. That's the ultimate cereal and has not been surpassed. Crunch Berries comes in at a respectable second.

Anyone remember Freakies cereal?

s-l640.jpg

Not only do I remember it, I can still sing the commercial for this one! Ahh, the 80s! Actually, I do not think I ever ate it though.

I don't like to eat desert for breakfast. Seem like there is more sugar and calories in many of those cereals than a bowl of ice cream.

If/when I do eat sugary cereal anymore, it's almost always at night, for dessert. I try to stick to healthier cereals in the morning, although I'm sure many of those have a fair amount of sugar too.

Anyone remember Freakies cereal?

I remember Freakiest cereal, though never had it.

Does anyone remember a cereal called Clackers? I remember it having a different taste than other cereals, and the commercials showed scenes with various dialogs and the last word would have “clackers” substituted for it in an almost robotic voice.

When I was young the deciding factor many times as to which cereal to purchase came down to the toy inside!

High glycemic foods have been tied to cardiovascular disease in otherwise healthy people.

Granted I have little faith in any food related finding. There have been zero statistically relevant dietary studies. Not once have the study participants managed to eat as the study dictates long enough for the findings to be statistically relevant.

Not only are carbs still up in the air, so is sugar!

I'll continue to eat what every I want, in moderation.

Well, since a sugar is the main source of energy in the cell, and the brain uses up about the same amount of energy as the whole rest of our bodies, sugar is needed for us to function.

Not sure about the cereal for the donuts. My favorite cereal is Count Chokula sp? and captain crunch peanut butter. Every time I find something I enjoy the store takes it away. So I just don't like to buy new things they take it. I loved Hagen Daze carmel sea salt, Now the stores no longer carry it. oh well.

Well, since a sugar is the main source of energy in the cell, and the brain uses up about the same amount of energy as the whole rest of our bodies, sugar is needed for us to function.

Exactly. Glucose is the brain's main fuel source. No wonder people get so crabby on low carb diets...

Does anyone remember Rocky Road cereal? I LOVED that one as a kid!

I remember that one. It was pretty good. I also mostly remember that commercial song. It's amazing what sticks in your head.

I have the feeling I'm the lone weirdo sitting over in the corner, eating my oatmeal. I guess that definitely indicates soggy cereal doesn't bother me.

I didn't grow up with sugary cereals so I think that's probably why I don't eat them and didn't really buy them for my daughters when they were growing up. I know from time to time they asked for some and we would let them pick something but they never really got much into them either. I remember they asked for Apple Jacks a few times after they ate them on vacation at the hotel breakfast buffet. Oldest gave up Multigrain Cheerios one year for Lent, which ended up making her cranky because they were her regular snack between school and dance. They despise my favorite cereal bran flakes and say they taste like cardboard. I like them with milk and a sliced banana on top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter