We might be getting a kitten! How hard is it to trim its nails?

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
My 20yr old daughter has volunteered to be the trimmer. My friend has bought us a nail clipper but we haven't received it yet (will this Friday). The kitten will be 3 months or younger.

So being that young will the kitten let us trim its nails and does it still hurt if they scratch you after being trimmed?

Some cats do and some cats don't. My one cat Bobby howled and screamed and I never tried it again. However, Huey just went totally limp and let me do it until he was about 6 months old.

Frankly, I don't think trimming is necessary, just wear long sleeves and accept that you'll inevitably get scratched.

Some cats do and some cats don't. My one cat Bobby howled and screamed and I never tried it again. However, Huey just went totally limp and let me do it until he was about 6 months old.

Frankly, I don't think trimming is necessary, just wear long sleeves and accept that you'll inevitably get scratched.
Too bad your furniture can't wear long sleeves. ;)

Since your dealing with a kitten, I like to have someone hold them tummy side up in their lap. I like to do it in the sun so I can see the quick. Trim close to it but not too close or they will bleed and then you will need a styptic pencil or powder.

Start when they are young, don't make a big deal out of it and never cut to close. If they don't associate it with pain you'll have better luck. Our guys get treats after so they they just watch you trim then run over to get treats.

If you do it right with good clippers when they are relaxed it isn't hard at all. Takes under two minutes. It's good to work up to it with kittens. Honestly, I don't trim kitten's claws until they are much older. I like them to learn how to use them and that they hurt people, and to trust us before we trim them. Even then, you only take the sharpest little tip off. The cat's trust is monumental.

DH trims our cats nails. Rarely if ever does he get scratched. We give them a treat after its done.

I don’t have a problem with any of my animals. I’ve made it a habit to mess with their paws while they’re asleep for the purpose of nail clipping. It doesn’t even phase them now.

We trained our older cat not to claw the furniture with double sided tape. I also know some people who are successful with the vinyl claw covers. Have you consided any of those options?

You can cut a kitten’s nails with regular human nail clippers. They’re clear so you can see where the quick is. Don’t cut above where you see pink. A little kitten will be squirmy, but it’s easy to do with a little patience. I find it helps with the scratching, but you have to do very often b/c their nails grown quickly.

I think it is much easier if you start with them as kittens. They get used to it. I've never been smart enough to start that young. Just don't trim them back too far.

We bought the clippers that our vet uses. They are super easy to use and very sharp. Be very careful not to trim too much. It's painful if you cut the quick (red vein inside nail).

I haven't read all the replies. And I am really just a dog person. :) (Not that I wouldn't some day really love a cat!)

But PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you go into it knowing what you're doing before attempting this, as if you hurt the animal, it can really traumatized them for life and make it really difficult to do nail trims as they age!

I was actually always good at doing my German Shepherds' nails (although I occasionally made a mistake and cut the quick, ugh) but I don't do my terrier, I leave it to the professionals now, and I think most of them file them down rather than cut them. I would imagine a cat would be even harder - and messier, with lots of scratches involved! (From my limited experience rescuing cats.) Unless someone is really good at it and the cat learns to trust.

898671dfb84979fd1c2382910dbbd9b6.png

cd44f78ed52a19b1ab20aab288d699ab.jpg

dog-nails2.gif

I started cutting my kittens nails when she was a baby. Now I usually trim them when she is sitting in my lap happy. She doesn’t scream but gets annoyed and will walk off. Usually takes two to three times

I volunteer with a local TNR group (trap neuter return for feral cats) and we also pull cats/kittens from the shelter. They all live in a large Foster House, and we keep all of the nails trimmed. Mostly because we don't want anyone scratched at adoption events. It's pretty easy to do - we put them in a little fleece pillowcase-style "bag" and do one paw at the time. We are super careful to just clip the end and not get too close. 90% of the felines are just fine with it, the other 10% hate it so we don't do them.

We have 3 of our own cats and are fostering 4 others (down from 9 fosters!) and I grew up having cats and we never ever trimmed nails. I did it a couple of times when the foster kittens were smaller, but I have trained them like I do all of my other cats. To prevent scratching, whether it is humans or furniture or baskets or anything else, we use a watergun. It only takes a couple of times and they don't do it anymore. We provide scratching posts that we put a little catnip on. The watergun also trains them to stay off the counters and furniture.

I would not trim my cats nails.
I take her to the vet for check ups.
They trim them as part of the visit.
If she were to need it between check ups I'd make a special appointment for that and it costs $15.
After they are trimmed the are more blunt so for a small period of time you'll find that scatches don't really scratch.
Trimming is mainly just so they don't get too long and get caught in things.
Its not a solution for not getting scratched.
Also you have to be sure you have several scratching posts because they will dig on anything to get them nice and sharp again. You don't want them getting sharp on your couch lol.

We use the nail trimmer like in Pea n Me's post. Dh will hold the cat like a baby and I trim his nails. He doesn't like being held at all but will usually be OK until I get to the last 2 or 3. We calm him down until it's done. He doesn't scratch up the furniture but his nails end up like talons and pick the bedding or furniture when he's 'kneading'.

Start early! When clipping, just clip off the very tip. Be calm, don't make a big deal of it. I've had cats forever. Most have been fine with having their nails trimmed. But a couple of them were awful!! The vet had to do it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter