We missed Grand Cayman today...

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
On the Fantasy and we were unable to make our stop at Grand Cayman today. We saw the Magic there and they also were not able to stop. Totally understand but still disappointed.

Sorry you missed out, that's one of the cons of having to tender. On our cruise there last year we did make it, but most of the port excursions were cancelled due to weather. It was nice and sunny, just really rough waves.

Sorry op, I’d be disappointed too.
I know it’s not their fault at all, but does Disney offer any type of compensation when this happens?

I know it’s not their fault at all, but does Disney offer any type of compensation when this happens?

There really is no reason to offer compensation. When it happened to us we did an overnight in Cozumel (left GC and headed straight to Cozumel). The ship docked overnight and some crew and guests were allowed to spend most of the night onshore. It was a fun night.

We were disappointed as well but such is the chance with cruising. It is usually the Grand Cayman Port Authority who does not allow the ship to dock due to wind/surf conditions so DCL has no chance but to obey the Port Authority.

MJ

No, there's no compensation. If you read the cruise contract that you agree to when you book, it states that ports of call can be changed, or even removed, at the cruise line's discretion. There's no guarantee that the ship will even leave the embarkation port.

the 'compensation' usually exists in DCL adding some extra activities/characters when a portday changes to a seaday.
So what do they do if it’s a last minute change and navigators were out the night before? How do they schedule last minute so people have something to do? I’m most curious about those times when they have tried to port and abandoned at the last minute. After failure to dock up. (Sorry about my poor terminology. My sea legs are is about as good as my sea verbiage)

So what do they do if it’s a last minute change and navigators were out the night before? How do they schedule last minute so people have something to do? I’m most curious about those times when they have tried to port and abandoned at the last minute. After failure to dock up. (Sorry about my poor terminology. My sea legs are is about as good as my sea verbiage)

Actually, GC is a port that is missed quite often due to heavy sea conditions and you have to use tenders. Since it is not so uncommon, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a "reserve" schedule they can quickly get out to everyone for the unexpected sea day.

In Alaska, when they had to change the glacier schedule, they were handing out updated schedule pages at all the restaurants and Guest Services.

In Alaska, when they had to change the glacier schedule, they were handing out updated schedule pages at all the restaurants and Guest Services.

We've missed a few ports in our long history with DCL and this is what we experienced too. Usually there are extra announcements - first to let you know that you won't be docking and then to let you know that they are getting a new navigator together and then some announcements about activities they have added so you have things to do while waiting for the new navigators and then finally where you can get the new navigators. Usually it's approaching lunch time by time the print version is ready so they do have people going around with them to hand out and then points where you can pick them up.

They know people are disappointed in missing a port so they do try to keep you up to date and entertained. If you miss a port, they don't want you to also be disappointed you missed the new activities they scrambled to plan.

When we missed in it in December they did an extra Palo Brunch so I was lucky enough to get to have Palo Brunch twice. It helped make up for missing one of my favorite ports. They also added a movie in the Walt Disney Theater and of course other on board fun. You couldn't even see the pier the wave kept crashing over it.

I also once docked late at CC and during that time in the morning they had TONS of characters out on strolls in their beachwear and cruise staff doing games like chip it golf and mr toads wild race.

They always have backup plans and will create new scheduling if they have to miss the port. On the fantasy one time we missed out on Costa Maya. The ship was headed to Grand Cayman and here was a medical emergency. The ship was directed to Cozumel where it was determined would be closer and quicker medical care. There were too many ships there to dock so a quick handoff occurred we spent that day at sea and our Grand Cayman day was pushed back one day and we skipped Costa Maya. They always have contingency plans. We received the refund of the missed port fees but didn’t expect anything else

We've missed 2 port days, once we couldn't complete docking in St Thomas due to winds from an approaching hurricane. Once we missed Nassau because we had to assist in a man overboard search for someone who jumped from a nearby Carnival ship (very sad!). For St Thomas, the online schedule was updated within the hour, and new printed navigators were available 2 hours later. For our missed Nassau port, some new things were added but the Navigator was already pretty full as many stay on ship anyway. Actually that day, all of the outdoor movies, activities and music had to be cancelled to limit the noise on deck as they searched. Both times, we did get to CC an hour earlier the next day, which was nice!

Considering our upcoming Grand Cayman day (May 1 -- very soon!) is the day after a Marvel Day at Sea, I bet a lot of us won't need activities scheduled. I'd be just fine with lounging around all day recuperating.

Does this happen a lot in, say, late June? looking at a cruise that stops in Cayman in 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter