We missed Grand Cayman today...

Does this happen a lot in, say, late June? looking at a cruise that stops in Cayman in 2019.

It could happen anytime. June is the beginning of hurricane season, although most happen in the Fall. We cruised to GC in January 2017. We had rough seas and a lot of the excursions were cacelled. A Carnavel ship ahead of us gave up on tendering and went back to sea. We were able to tender. Before our cruise I had heard that there's a slight greater chance of missing GC over other ports. I made sure I picked our "must do" excursion for other ports. But honestly, any port could be cacelled for any reason. That's a chance you take when cruising. I wouldn't let that stop me when booking a cruise. On our cruise last month we weren't able to go to St Maarten due to 50 ft waves, so we went to CC instead. Getting CC twice on the cruise was something we were all very happy about. We were told about the switch when we were checking in at PC.

Last edited:
Probably a blessing if the seas are that bad. We went on a beach excursion in St. Maarten once and the waves were so heavy, you could barely go in the water. They should have cancelled that excursion, but it is left to the tour operators discretion.

Some cruise insurance options include compensation for missed ports, in addition to refund of any prepaid port excursions not refunded. Even when you book on your own, many companies will issue a full refund if the ship doesn't dock or are canceled due to weather. But not all of them...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter