We put the DYS in Functional, Completing our ABC’s

I'm back, but I am still catching up with work.
I have nothing else written up ahead of time, so I hope to start doing that in the next few days and start posting again.
I still have lots of pics to edit from this trip too, so I will trudge on as soon as I can!

Yea, Glad you are back. Hoping this trip had a less stressful beginning, I was worried you're flights were messed up, but figured they must have worked out ok and you were on your trip when we didn't hear from you. Hope it was fun.

Following along! We are doing a Southern Caribbean sailing (on Royal) next spring. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your cruise!

Don't worry. We will be here whenever you are ready! And ......... welcome back, Jen!

I keep thinking I am caught up...then I get more work emails. hahaha. But that is good too.

Yea, Glad you are back. Hoping this trip had a less stressful beginning, I was worried you're flights were messed up, but figured they must have worked out ok and you were on your trip when we didn't hear from you. Hope it was fun.

It was less stressful sort of...to start...but any vacation with my husband always has a level of stress. hahaha.

Following along! We are doing a Southern Caribbean sailing (on Royal) next spring. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your cruise!

I love this itinerary. I would sail it again in a heartbeat!

Wed. Jan. 30, 2019, Bonaire

ABC….B is for Bonaire…..We were traveling around the ABC islands. Claire and I have now been to Aruba (A) twice, Bonaire (B) today, and Curacao (C) a year and a half ago. We were completing our ABC’s on this cruise. Pretty cool! It just amazes me that I have been able to visit these islands. If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have NEVER imagined having the opportunity to visit any of these destinations! I am so grateful!

We had an excursion for just the 2 of us today and it wasn’t till a little later. I let her sleep in a little bit and went off to watch us pull into Bonaire.

bonaire21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As I walked around I heard music and saw Cast Members on the stage dancing.

bonaire47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I clicked a few pictures as I walked by and went to get a drink.

bonaire48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I then stopped and watched a bit and went to line up a great picture and was told I couldn’t take one. OK….???? Then I found out they were working on a new Sail Away show. I later found out it would have a soft opening the very next cruise and would have its official opening the one after that. (I believe it was the Feb. 7 sailing).

I have since heard mixed reviews on it. It looked fun and the old one is basically the original show, so it needed updating, but I think many people don’t like the drastic change. Hopefully I will see it someday.

I took some pics of the port and it is so pretty.

bonaire49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The water was so blue and the island so colorful!

bonaire23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Those colorful tents were so neat looking.

bonaire32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A walk by the sports deck.

bonaire114 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire115 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire116 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire117 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And a video I took at some point this morning.

bonaire52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire246 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Off in the distance you can see colorful buildings. We found out later that those are condos being built.

bonaire36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Following along!
We've never been on a cruise, let alone a Disney cruise. But our first trip to WDW with our kids several years ago was supposed to be a once every five years or so event, according to DH. He was sure he wouldn't like it. Well, he asked me to email the travel agent on our way home and book for the following year, lol. We've now been three times and are booked for our fourth this summer. Even though I'm really prone to motion sickness, I'm finding myself wondering if we're missing out by not trying a cruise, so I came on the boards to look for trip reports and I think this is the third of yours I've read! I'm really enjoying it!
That being said...which boat or cruise do you think would be best for beginners like us?

I have since heard mixed reviews on it. It looked fun and the old one is basically the original show, so it needed updating, but I think many people don’t like the drastic change. Hopefully I will see it someday.

We saw it on our Magic cruise last week. We thought it was very fun!

Those colorful tents were so neat looking.

I love when you use that filter that makes everything look like toys.

Just got back from 5 nights on the Wonder followed by 2 nights at GCV and Disneyland - saw the new Sail a Wave party (first time going to the sailaway party since our first cruise) and I thought it was pretty cute. My kids loved it, esp my youngest who was fist pumping with her paper hand the whole time :rotfl:

We've never been on a cruise, let alone a Disney cruise. But our first trip to WDW with our kids several years ago was supposed to be a once every five years or so event, according to DH. He was sure he wouldn't like it. Well, he asked me to email the travel agent on our way home and book for the following year, lol. We've now been three times and are booked for our fourth this summer.

That's great that he enjoyed it! Disney does know how to get you hooked!

Even though I'm really prone to motion sickness, I'm finding myself wondering if we're missing out by not trying a cruise, so I came on the boards to look for trip reports and I think this is the third of yours I've read! I'm really enjoying it!
That being said...which boat or cruise do you think would be best for beginners like us?

I am prone to motion sickness too and I take bonine daily (2 in the morning and 2 at night). If you are unsure, probably a 3 night on the Dream to start with would give you a good taste of cruising and then if you don't like it you aren't "stuck" on a ship for long.

We saw it on our Magic cruise last week. We thought it was very fun!

Good to here. We did ask if it was going to the Magic too and they said eventually, so I guess it went over sooner than they thought.

I love when you use that filter that makes everything look like toys.

I love that function too!

Just got back from 5 nights on the Wonder followed by 2 nights at GCV and Disneyland - saw the new Sail a Wave party (first time going to the sailaway party since our first cruise) and I thought it was pretty cute. My kids loved it, esp my youngest who was fist pumping with her paper hand the whole time :rotfl:

Awesome! I have really looked at the April 28 sailing, but I really can't make it work. I could afford the cruise, but the flights are outrageous!

I continued walking around and taking pictures around the ship and of the port.

bonaire118 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire119 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire120 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire121 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I kept trying to take pictures of those condos, but it was too far away and the light was doing funky things to my pictures.

bonaire38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire122 by Jenseib, on Flickr

If you watched the video you will see I was videoing with one hand and most of these pictures were taken at the same time with my camera.

A look down at Cabana’s.

bonaire123 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I hadn’t realized there was more seating up here…..and obviously no one else did either.

bonaire124 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire125 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A look at another island off in the distance.

bonaire45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire126 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire247 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire127 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire128 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I headed down to deck 4 to take an official walk.

bonaire57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire248 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire131 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire249 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire132 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire133 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And I took some more video.

I did a few laps but as soon as I felt hot I stopped as I didn’t want a migraine all day long.

Then it was time for breakfast.

bonaire134 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I pretty much get the same thing every day.

bonaire135 by Jenseib, on Flickr

hadn’t realized there was more seating up here…..and obviously no one else did either.
I think those are the tables outside Palo. For a while last year you could request to sit outside. They may have discontinued that though.

Bonaire looks beautiful! Glad you could complete your ABC's :cool1:

Weird that they would stop you from taking photos, you are in a huge, public, open space! :rolleyes2 I watched a YT video of the new party, looks lamer than the old one :eek: :lmao:

I get the exact same thing for breakfast every day on a cruise too :rotfl2:

I think those are the tables outside Palo. For a while last year you could request to sit outside. They may have discontinued that though.

I bet you're right. When we had our Palo brunch last year, we would see people sit at the tables and then get up and move because it was really windy.
I really want to go to Bonaire, looking forward to hearing how you liked it and what excursion you did.

I then stopped and watched a bit and went to line up a great picture and was told I couldn’t take one. OK….???? Then I found out they were working on a new Sail Away show. I later found out it would have a soft opening the very next cruise and would have its official opening the one after that. (I believe it was the Feb. 7 sailing).

I had a friend who was on the Fantasy in December. He caught them rehearsing for SWDAS (I think just the takeover in the lobby - it started raining on deck for the stage show). But they didn't let him take photos either.

I didn't really get to experience the show. It was rainy on our first day (well it had stopped by the time we cast-off, but there were still puddles on deck), so they moved it to the atrium and we didn't get there early enough to get a railing spot. I didn't really care enough to watch.

that could be, but doesn't seem nice enough.

Bonaire looks beautiful! Glad you could complete your ABC's

I sometimes am just amazed how lucky I have been to visit these amazing places.

Weird that they would stop you from taking photos, you are in a huge, public, open space! :rolleyes2 I watched a YT video of the new party, looks lamer than the old one

I thought it was stupid too....but they had crew ALL over the place standing around guarding and I saw them tell several people not to take pics. I guess they wanted it to be a surprise.
I hardly directly watch the sail away show anymore. I used to not miss it, but it seems to have a lot less people out there now for the last few sailings I have been on and I rather wave and watch us sail! Of course my last 4 or 5 cruises I have been with a group of people too, so maybe that makes a difference?

I get the exact same thing for breakfast every day on a cruise too

I am a creature of habit in the morning and I know what I like...and NONE of it is healthy!

I bet you're right. When we had our Palo brunch last year, we would see people sit at the tables and then get up and move because it was really windy.
I really want to go to Bonaire, looking forward to hearing how you liked it and what excursion you did.

Yeah I can imagine it would be really windy.
Bonaire is beautiful! I would go again in a heartbeat!

I had a friend who was on the Fantasy in December. He caught them rehearsing for SWDAS (I think just the takeover in the lobby - it started raining on deck for the stage show). But they didn't let him take photos either.

I did see the team rehearse in the atrium a few times too. After I knew what was going on, I would see them rehearse when we were at port or early in the morning. Once late at night I was out and heard loud music but never figured what it was. Someone told me the next day they had been rehearsing then too. And Jo made a few commits over the course of the cruise they would rehearse sometimes in the middle of the night.

I didn't really get to experience the show. It was rainy on our first day (well it had stopped by the time we cast-off, but there were still puddles on deck), so they moved it to the atrium and we didn't get there early enough to get a railing spot. I didn't really care enough to watch.

My first cruise had the sail away in the atrium. We had a good spot, but if you don't get a good spot it is hard to see. And it gets crowded.

I think went for a walk inside and took some more pictures since I had been failing at getting pictures around the ship.

bonaire136 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire137 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire138 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire139 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire140 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire146 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire142 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire143 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire144 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire145 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire250 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire252 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The back entrance to Azure.

bonaire251 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I headed back to the room and M was up and ready. She was going to spend time in port with her crew member friend when he was done working. We decided to head out to port now and just shop right there till he was ready to meet her. Claire decided sleep was more important.

bonaire76 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Sadly there weren’t a lot of stores right there, but we did find a shirt for Claire. M picked it out, so even if Claire would normally say she didn’t like it, with M picking it out, she now would. Hahaha. She has worn it several times now, so she must like it somewhat. It was one of those spirit jersey type shirts with Bonaire across the back and it was yellow and other pastel colors tie dyed.

Her friend found us just as we were walking out of the store and I took a couple of pictures of them together and we parted ways.

bonaire58 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire59 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire60 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I went walking around, but I couldn’t find really any stores in the area. I later found out I would have had to walk about ½ a mile before I found much in the way of shopping.

bonaire61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I didn’t have time to explore so I headed back to the ship.

bonaire79 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I got Claire and we headed off to D Lounge to sign in for our excursion. We were REALLY early, but we grabbed towels and packed them in my bag and just relaxed. Connor was signing everyone in and he was the nicest guy and funny too.

bonaire147 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire148 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire149 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire150 by Jenseib, on Flickr

When in port we get free data on our phones….and Claire doesn’t waist one minute of it. LOL!

bonaire80 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We were led off the ship then and then taken to some vans/buses.

bonaire81 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This gentleman would be our caption on our snorkeling adventure. I really liked him.

bonaire151 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had to walk through a resort area to get to our boat. It looked beautiful.

bonaire152 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire153 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire154 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire155 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire156 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We arrived at the marina and boarded our boat. It was a shoe free boat, so we all had to take off our shoes before getting on.

bonaire157 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire158 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This couple in front of us….we end up talking quite a bit with them later. The wife has the same profession as I…..what a small world…..she was super nice. As we were talking I found out that she had tried to upgrade their room when they arrived at San Juan port….and the couple right in front of them took the last balcony…..that would have been J and MK! hahahah…Small World!

bonaire159 by Jenseib, on Flickr

She said they actually had a balcony already but they didn’t think they would like it. I think it was a navigator. She also said that there were security cameras pointed basically at her balcony and she didn’t like that and asked about it. I guess their cabin was at a blind spot for other “over board” cameras and that the camera didn’t actually film anything but had a sensor if someone jumped or fell off. She said they told her basically she would have to throw a chair off or something bigger for it to turn on.

bonaire160 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire82 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Off we go! We would have 2 locations for snorkeling.

bonaire161 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire63 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Hello Disney Wonder!

bonaire83 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Even our Captain was taking pictures of the ship.

bonaire162 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We arrived at our first stop. He told us under that pier up ahead the snorkeling was pretty good.

bonaire84 by Jenseib, on Flickr

He gave us some instructions and he was thorough and actually I learned some new stuff from him. Did you know when you take off your mask and rest it on your forehead….like James Bond…That is the universal signal that you are in trouble and need help? I didn’t either. He said if you need to take it off, wear it around your neck.

We waited to be some of the last in the water as I hate rushing around a crowd of people. Of course there was “that” family in front of us that were slow and not moving and finally we had to say excuse me to get in.

bonaire163 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Claire took a little longer to get in as she was having fin problems, but the girl on the boat helped her and she jumped in a little later.

Right where we jumped in there wasn’t much, but under that dock/pier there were a TON of fish.

bonaire164 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire165 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Jackpot!!!!

bonaire4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

These fish would just swim in a circle…round and round and round.

bonaire5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

PT would have totally freaked out seeing all these fish so close.

bonaire13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire20 by Jenseib, on Flickr

bonaire167 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I headed back to the boat.

bonaire168 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A look back at the Wonder.

bonaire169 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had to take our flippers off before climbing up….a lot harder than you would think.

PT would have totally freaked out seeing all these fish so close.
I always get a bit freaked out, then calm down and enjoy it, then freak out a bit more, and so on! In Hawaii I was snorkling by my hotel and a guy had a handful of sandwich meat which he was feeding to the fish. He gave me some pieces and I didn't want to look like a wimp, so I let them eat from my hands!

I always get a bit freaked out, then calm down and enjoy it, then freak out a bit more, and so on! In Hawaii I was snorkling by my hotel and a guy had a handful of sandwich meat which he was feeding to the fish. He gave me some pieces and I didn't want to look like a wimp, so I let them eat from my hands!

hahahaha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter