~We seldom report of having eaten too little~ 06/22 New Pre-Trip Posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to California Grill for the first time last week, and ordered the Shrimp Tempera roll based on your recommendation. The server knew exactly what I was looking for when I asked about it, even though it is not on the menu. It was so good!

I am soooooo sorry that it has been so long since my last update :sad2:

Work has been....well....not good LOL....unbearable.....7th circle of....well you get the idea!

Anyways, I promise that you will get the mother of all updates very very soon :goodvibes I intend to finish off this Dining Report and begin by Pre-Trip for....

*drumroll*

FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL 2010!!!

That's right! :woohoo: We are going to the 15th Annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival! It wasn't originally in the cards, but a bit of pleading on my part and I convinced my parents to switch our trip from early Sept to late Oct! You can also expect yet another glorious meal at Victoria & Albert's, on DMom's birthday :yay:

Plus, my very best friend in the world, Tania, is returning to WDW with us! It has been 4 long years since she has been "home." This will be her 5th trip to WDW, and her 4th with my family.

So lots of fun to come! Please stay tuned :) I promise I'll update more consistently!

Hi! I'm glad your back and no worries about not updating in a while. It's so exciting that you are going to be attending the Food and Wine Festival and I look forward to your Pre-Trip Report! :goodvibes

YAY! I'm FINALLY updaing! So sorry for the delay guys and thank you for continuing to read :goodvibes

Flying Fish

Our ADR was for 5:30 on the dot and we were seated in the front section of the restaurant. We had a great view of the kitchen and could see out the windows to the Boardwalk croquet lawn.

Our server dropped by some whole wheat sourdough bread.
ry%3D400

We thought it was very tasty and the whole wheat flour added a nuttiness to the typical tang of sourdough.

DMom started with a salad of Vero Beach Greens, Pears, Gorgonzola, Edible Flowers, Walnuts and Citrus Vinaigrette. She loved it!
ry%3D400

DDad had the standout appetizer of the night - the Shrimp Cocktail with Blood Orange, Grapefruit and Orange, with Salsa Verde. This was divine! We found that "blood orange" was the "salted caramel" of this year! Definitely a culinary trend as we saw it at 3 or 4 restaurants.
ry%3D400

I had the Tuna Tartare atop Tempura Vegetable Maki. It was....off....the tuna tartare was lovely, but the sauce on the plate tasted too heavily of sesame oil and the tempura vegetable maki was...muddy tasting...not bright and crisp as I had expected.
ry%3D400

DMom had the winning entree - Oak-grilled Salmon with a Coconut Curry Broth. As she isn't a huge fan of curry under normal circumstances she requested the sauce on the side. However, she loved it! She said it was light, perfectly spiced and complimented the smokey oak grilled flavor.
ry%3D400

DDad had a double order of the jonah crab cakes with remoulade. These were perfect as always - a nice crispy coating, tender perfectly spiced crab and a tangy sauce. He nearly licked the plate clean.
ry%3D400

I had the signature Potato Wrapped Snapper with Creamed Leeks and Red Wine Reduction. It never ceases to amaze me that white fish and red wine can pair together so perfectly! I'm not a big fish eater but I love this dish.
ry%3D400

As a surprise, our server brought a Dark Chocolate Mint Creme Brulee for my birthday.
ry%3D400

OMG this was heavenly! I thought the white chocolate creme brulee from last year was awesome - this blows it out of the water. It was rich and not overly sweet, with a perfect mint accent. YUM!

We also ordered the Citrus Cheesecake with Walnut Crust.
ry%3D400

This was the sugar free offering and had....Blood Orange, again! It was good, but we felt the waltnuts were a bit too bitter and that almonds might have been a better contrast as citrus already has bitter notes. The cheesecake itself was light and creamy.

Overall, we still love Flying Fish. We are taking it out of the rotation for our next trip, but we plan to return again very soon.

The one thing I failed to mention about the night that we dined at Flying Fish was that it was FREEZING! DDad and I had been silly enough to head out the door with no sweater or jacket and we were practically blue by the time we reached the International Gateway. I tell you, they were making a killing on sweater purchases that night! The whole week had been temperate up to that point, so the cold snap was definitely as surprise.

As a result of the cold, we found ourselves running into shops around World Showcase for warmth....which seemed so funny as we are used to the shops being a refuge from the heat!

By the time we made our way to Norway we were hungry again, so we stopped in at...Kringla Bakery

I convinced my parents to try School Bread last year after reading all the hype here on the DIS. We loved it! So we ordered one to share, plus a waffle!

ry%3D400

A word of warning, don't order school bread at the end of the night :sad2: It wasn't quite stale, but it was tough and the icing had set up a bit too much. Where it would regularly be a 10, it was about a 7.

The waffle was a surprise! I saw it in the case and decided to give it a try. I had to wait a few minutes as they made a new one in the back. It came out nice and hot, filled with delicious strawberry jam and topped with powdered sugar! Wow! Definitely try one of these :thumbsup2

Unfortunately, Kringla's seating area is outdoors....with wrought iron chairs! So we were still feeling chilly as we proceeded to Mexico.

What better to warm you than a visit to.....THE DITCH! (aka La Cava del Tequila!)

We managed to snag some prime seating on the couch against the wall. DDad had a Dos Equis and DMom and I shared a new feature margarita....It was a premium clear tequila with blue curacao, lime juice, and a hibiscus salt rim. WOW WOW WOW! I wanted another three of these! I will definitely return in Oct to indulge in more :rolleyes1

Now, while at the Ditch we saw....the most intoxicated women on the planet! I kid you not, there was a group of three women sitting at a table and they were as drunk as drunk could be! In the 30 minutes we were there....1 fell of her chair, another knocked over a waiter carrying a tray of drinks, one was drinking directly from a BOTTLE of wine....it was a riot! I have no idea how they made it back to their resort but it seemed like a scene out of The Hangover!

That must've been so funny to see those 3 women making fools out of themselves:) Although you often see that happen when someone has an action-packed day, get really tired, then knock a few drink and the alcohol just really takes over a tired body and mind:)

Great review of the Flying Fish. We're going there in September. Is the signature dish really as good as people describe it?:)

Taqueria del Lago

This is the temporary counter service location at the Mexico Pavilion. It is the Food & Wine Festival Booth from this year, with a limited menu.

We were a bit hungry as we made our way around World Showcase so we decided to share one of the entrees.

Quesadillas - Grilled flour tortilla with chihuaha cheese, served with pico de gallo sauce, refried beans and rice $5.50
ry%3D400

These were delicious! It was a very generous portion for $5.50 considering the small F&W festival portion is $3.75.

The cheese was tangy, but melted well like a mozzarella. The rice was mildly spiced and I didn't try the beans but DMom & DDad said they were great as well.

About an hour after our snack it was time for lunch at...

Chefs de France

We had to go visit our favorite chef!
ry%3D400

The ever-adorable Remy!

I only took a few pictures on this lunch as we had some repeats from earlier in the trip.

Our meal started out with fresh, hot baguette. I cannot tell you how much of an improvement this is over the rock hard rolls from before.

Then we each had a bowl of French Onion Soup.

I decided to get the $20 three course lunch and ordered the Croque Monsieur. I LIVED off of these in Paris and I must say, this one is delicious!
ry%3D400

The bread is a bit thicker than the ones I had in Paris, and they tended to have bechamel AND cheese on the top whereas this one had only cheese, but it was filling, comforting and very yummy. I ate half and DMom & DDad split the other half.

For dessert, I ordered the Profiteroles au Chocolat. These are divine and have been my favorite dessert at Chefs de France for a LONG LONG time. The puffs themselves are perfectly crisp on the outside and soft inside, the cold ice cream contrasts with the hot chocolate sauce. Mmmmm!
ry%3D400

All in all, it was a very good lunch and one I know we will repeat again and again on coming trips.

Now, it is time for the very last review of my March 2010 trip :sad1: but never fear! I will be starting my October Pre-Dining Report this afternoon! I'll add the link here as soon as it is up :goodvibes

Our traditional last night dinner has become...

Tokyo Dining

After a week of rich food, we find that sushi is the perfect final meal.

We arrived at 6:30 and by 6:45 we found ourselves seated at a window table with a gorgeous view.
ry%3D400

Place Setting
ry%3D400

DMom started with the Garden Salad with Ginger Dressing.
ry%3D400

It was your typical japanese restaurant salad but the ginger dressing is so good here! It is a bit earthier than others we have tried.

DDad and I each got the Shrimp Cocktail with Wasabi Cocktail Sauce
ry%3D400

The cocktail sauce had that perfect zing that only wasabi can give and the shrimp were sweet and tender.

DMom and DDad also split an order of Edamame, but they were disappointed to find that they weren't salted. I'm not a huge fan of Edamame so I didn't try any.
ry%3D400

We ordered two sushi rolls to split.
Top: Spicy Tuna Crunch - tuna, spicy sauce and tempura crunch
Bottom: Dynamite Roll - california roll, topped with wasabi mayo, wasabi tobiko, masago, and salmon and tuna sashimi.
ry%3D400

Both were great, but the dynamite is the standout, it is creamy, crunchy, spicy and just plain wonderful!

As we have never ordered entrees here, and we were particularly hungry, we decided to give some a try.

DDad got Chicken Katsu - breaded and fried chicken breast served with katsu sauce (like a thick ponzu).
ry%3D400

We had no idea that the entrees came with TWO chicken breasts! It was a very generous portion and was quite tasty.

DMom and I each ordered the Chicken Teriyaki
ry%3D400

Again, each entree was served with TWO chicken breasts! That was 6 chicken breasts for three people! Next time we will split two entrees!

Well, that is all for this edition of ~We seldom report of having eaten too little~ but the next edition will be up and running very shortly AND it will include the 15th annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival!

NEWS!

For those interested, I have started my own blog on dining at WDW!

The Disney Foodie Blog

It will feature reviews, restaurant news, general information on dining, special events, the dining plan, Tables in Wonderland and much more! I'll also be doing Q&A posts, so if you have any WDW dining questions please feel free to email me at thedisneyfoodie@gmail.com!

That must've been so funny to see those 3 women making fools out of themselves:) Although you often see that happen when someone has an action-packed day, get really tired, then knock a few drink and the alcohol just really takes over a tired body and mind:)

Great review of the Flying Fish. We're going there in September. Is the signature dish really as good as people describe it?:)

It was hilarious, even the servers looked shocked at how drunk they were! :lmao:

The signature dish really is as good as everyone says! I am not a fish person, I like salmon, and I love sushi, but I would never order a dish like halibut, mahi mahi, snapper etc.

The snapper is a very hearty fish, and the potato wrapper is earthy, combined with the rich red wine sauce and the creamy leeks are a great compliment.

Great Review!

The sushi pictures were missing :sad2:

You have a great vocabulary for describing food, I hope you post a link here for your next report, so we can all catch up!

Thanks!

Lovely reviews! I can tell you guys love food (I do too!). Looking forward to the rest! More blood orange to come?

Great Review!

The sushi pictures were missing :sad2:

You have a great vocabulary for describing food, I hope you post a link here for your next report, so we can all catch up!

Thanks!

Thanks for pointing out the missing sushi pic! It should be there now :goodvibes

Aww thank you! I can totally relate to Remy from Ratatouille...
Remy: You gotta taste this! This is... oh, it's got this kind of... mmm, it's burny, it's melty... it's not really a smoky taste. It's kind of like a certain... Pshah! It's got like this " Ba-boom! Zap!" kind of taste. Dont you think? What would you call that flavor?
Emile: Lightningy?
Remy: Yeah! It's lightningy! We gotta do that again! Okay, when the next storm comes, we'll go up on the roof... I know what this needs! Saffron. A little saffron would make this!

I just try to describe how I feel and everything about the food from taste, to smell, to texture :)

Lovely reviews! I can tell you guys love food (I do too!). Looking forward to the rest! More blood orange to come?

Thanks! We absolutely love food. I watch food network nearly 24/7.

Sadly, that was the last review for this round. But, I will be returning to WDW on October 25th for the Food & Wine Festival and my pre-trip report will be up very very soon. :thumbsup2

I just caught up reading some of your report that I apparently missed... good stuff!

Question about the Kona Island Sushi Bar... (which I never even realized existed before!) Were you only at the Sushi Bar or also in Kona? Because the menus I saw didn't have the sticky wings. We'd love the sticky wings and potstickers that I see are served in Kona. Just wondering if they're also available at the Sushi Bar or not? And what about the 'Ohana bread pudding? Available at Kona Cafe or the Sushi Bar or both? I personally love that bread pudding too! :cloud9:

I just caught up reading some of your report that I apparently missed... good stuff!

Question about the Kona Island Sushi Bar... (which I never even realized existed before!) Were you only at the Sushi Bar or also in Kona? Because the menus I saw didn't have the sticky wings. We'd love the sticky wings and potstickers that I see are served in Kona. Just wondering if they're also available at the Sushi Bar or not? And what about the 'Ohana bread pudding? Available at Kona Cafe or the Sushi Bar or both? I personally love that bread pudding too! :cloud9:

The sushi bar opened a few years ago and it is fantastic! It doesn't accept reservations but you can get any item off the Kona Cafe menu in addition to the sushi offerings. I've successfully ordered the Ohana bread pudding at Kona Cafe and at the sushi bar :thumbsup2

The sushi bar opened a few years ago and it is fantastic! It doesn't accept reservations but you can get any item off the Kona Cafe menu in addition to the sushi offerings. I've successfully ordered the Ohana bread pudding at Kona Cafe and at the sushi bar :thumbsup2

Wow... that's neat! Who'd've thunk it? Nice tip! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for all the marvelous reviews! I'm so sad that this review is over, but I will be following your F&W report and your blog :goodvibes. I also LOVE food network!! I learn so much and I could watch it all day long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter