"We shall double our efforts" - July/Sept 2017 Dining Report - Update 9/26 Flying Fish (Complete)

That boozy milkshake looks so good, we tried the corned beef with the cheese and chips at the fire booth, very good! Stay safe during Irma!!

Beaches & Cream

As we left Crew’s Cup - I wanted something sweet. As Beaches & Cream has a take out counter - I decided that would be a good option. I had forgotten they had alcoholic milkshakes so I was really happy with that news! I selected the S’mores one! That was a great option as it wasn’t too heavy and had great flavors. I love Amarula!

ojlHE47.jpg

S’mores - Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Cream, Amarula Cream Liqueur, Bols Creme de Dark Cacao topped with Marshmallow, Chocolate Sauce and Graham Crackers

This looks HEAVENLY. I'm adding it to my list of "MUST TRIES" when I'm there in October.

First and foremost, hope you all are safe through the hurricane. Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

Looks like you and your Mom had a great start to the trip. Of course how can you go wrong starting with a mule and a boozy milkshake. :-)

Can't wait to try F&W for the first time in 3 years!!! Those shrimp are already on my radar, but think I may skip the wings.

Oh boy! I can't wait to hear about that one! I have it booked for October 26! Although perhaps they will change it up weekly or every month to entice the locals to come in more than once.

That scampi sounds good. I need to start a list of the must try items this year.

Here's to minimal impact and not being to long without power! I'm definitely more of an earthquake kind of gal. These hurricanes sound terrifying. I never would have thought of placing things in the washer, dryer or dishwasher. I suppose these are things you learn living in Florida. Good luck!

You should have a great time! I assume the menu will change some. Our starter was definitely "its freaking hot so lets cool down" type of meal. We started with a soup last year! I think they change weekly based on reviews I've seen.

That scampi was good! I probably will return there in November as it was well made!

Earthquakes terrify me as well!

Yum. Great food choices. Following along

Thanks! I just love Disney food!

That boozy milkshake looks so good, we tried the corned beef with the cheese and chips at the fire booth, very good! Stay safe during Irma!!

I got the corned beef on Saturday Night since I remembered which booth they would be at (I totally missed it this day as I was too focused on the piggy wings).

We will be hunkered down starting this evening. The house is as prepared as it is going to be. I posted before pictures on my Facebook so its up in the cloud. I'm trying to keep updates all in one place!

This looks HEAVENLY. I'm adding it to my list of "MUST TRIES" when I'm there in October.

Yay! There are so many great Must Tries this year! I still didn't get through most of my list this trip but at least I go back in less than 2 months!

First and foremost, hope you all are safe through the hurricane. Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

Looks like you and your Mom had a great start to the trip. Of course how can you go wrong starting with a mule and a boozy milkshake. :-)

Can't wait to try F&W for the first time in 3 years!!! Those shrimp are already on my radar, but think I may skip the wings.

Thanks for the good thoughts! I won't lie and say I'm not scared/nervous but at this point, nothing we can do now. We know the roof was replaced not long before we moved in and there was a wind mitigation study done on it so I'm hoping there won't be too much damage. I'm glad I live east of I-75 in Naples so the storm surge won't be devastating in this area. I fully expect flooding on my street but hopefully not my home. I'm fine being home bound for a few days! I will be breaking into a bottle of wine soon to help with my nerves. (Probably a wine spritzer so I can ensure I have water still - I may be the only idiot making wine spritzers with $20 to $25 bottles of wine...)

You have to start a trip with alcohol! At least I do! I mean, it is a Food & Wine Trip!

I'm so glad you are going back to F&W this year! So much yummy things to try! My mom and I didn't get through everything we wanted to try as we got full from other things but at least we did a decent amount and I'm going back in November for more!

Mexican Tequila Lunch

We headed towards Mexico around 11:45AM for our Noon Lunch Reservation. They had the menu outside at the podium so we got to know what we were having before sitting down. From first look of the menu, I knew I would be happy with 3 of the 4 dishes so I find that to be a win! As you don’t know what the menu is going to be - you always chance there to be something that you aren’t 100% a fan of.

kVN2vCi.jpg

Menu

We had the same host as I had last year. I liked him as he knows his stuff. He also decided to change up the music this year so we had more than just the Tequila song between his talking points.

Bdo5TyO.jpg

Host

The welcome margarita was extremely refreshing for how hot of a day it was. These are handed to you as you were seated. My mother and I were the furthest in on the long table in the center which is fine as we could see the host but also had the window ledge for our stuff since there wasn’t much room left on the tables after all the tequila glasses and silverware were there. The cucumber really worked well with the lime. I had zero trouble finishing mine quickly!

SpC076W.jpg

Welcome Tequila Avion Cucumber Margarita

We were given a shot of Mezcal, Blanco, Reposado, Anejo, Espresso Tequila and Vodka (left to right) The vodka would be used to clean our palettes after the main course before switching to the espresso tequila and dessert.

r6zGNhf.jpg
nUvkD3C.jpg

Lots of Tequila

The first course was a light refreshing salad. With the temperature outside, I’m glad this started with something like this as we all cooled down some. There wasn’t a ton of pine nuts or pineapple but just enough to give it varying textures for larger bites. The dressing was light and didn’t have an overly smokey feel of the mezcal. This was paired with the Blanco.

Hp44llA.jpg

Heart of Palm Salad - Mache Lettuce, Baby Arugula, Roasted Pineapple, Pine Nuts, Mezcal Vinaigrette

Our second course was the one I was the most iffy about. I’ve tried octopus various times before in my life and I’ve never been a fan. It's usually too tough and something about the texture of the tentacles is just weird to me especially with the suction cups still on it. I know thats funny as I love abalone. The sauce on this was tasty and the octopus was tenderize a fair amount but I just couldn’t enjoy it much. I ate a couple bites before saying no more. Those at the table that like octopus did love this dish though as they said it was probably the most tender octopus they have ever had. They obviously knew what they were doing! This was paired with the Reposado.

RUsHDMT.jpg

Grilled Octopus - Marinated in ancho paste, served with black mole, butternut squash puree and grilled cactus leaves

The main course was pretty dang good! The filet was cooked a little more than I like it (I’m a rare/medium rare girl) but I also understood they are cooking the meat for the masses and they went for medium cook to make sure most people would be ok. The meat was still really tender. The poblano cream sauce was awesome. I totally became a member of the clean plate club with this dish! I really enjoyed the plantain puree and it reminded me I need to go visit the local peruvian chicken place for lunch that has amazing plantain and yucca chips! This was paired with the anejo!

07V0lX7.jpg

Beef Tenderloin topped with poblano cream sauce, plantain puree and fingerling chips

We were told to try the mezcal at this point. The mezcal given this year was extremely smokey unlike last year. I could have had an extra shot of it but I just couldn’t do it this year! Luckily, we had the shot of vodka to clean our palettes before it was time for dessert!

The dessert was a mamey flan. My mother had originally seen flan on the menu and expected a traditional flan. She was little disappointed to get this. As I don’t like traditional flan much, I was happy to get this. It was something different than normal. It wasn’t overly sweet but it was a nice end of the meal. The texture was really similar to the rice pudding I had last year. You could also pour some of the espresso tequila on top and it changed the taste as well. My mother did that to hers as she liked it better that way. I just tried it on a small amount but I like sipping my tequila!

NdlSTeh.jpg

Mamey Flan - creamy flan of Mamey topped with blackberry coulis and almond dust

Overall, this was a great event especially for the cost (less than $90 per person after tax.) We had a great time there as well! As I wasn’t double drinking this time, I didn’t end up in too bad of shape but I still was feeling pretty happy. I was really good about drinking water so that also helped! I would totally do this again next year.​

We did the tequila lunch a couple years ago. The food was great, but I didn't like the tequila. It was Carlos Santana's brand. I found it a bit harsh. How was the tequila this year?

Coastal Eats

The first booth was Coastal Eats. We each got our own. This was really good! The shrimp weren’t overcooked and it had enough garlic to let you know what it was but not too much to give you vampire breath for hours.

xoj6lG7.jpg

Baked Shrimp Scampi Dip w/ Sourdough Baguette

Yum! That looks so good!

Looks like the tequila lunch was a success. I cant believe it's F&W time already. I'm going to have to look into the special events for our trip in November (I'm behind), I think the price on that is reasonable for all of the food and booze you get.

Stay safe this weekend! Hoping for the best for you guys and your home.

Wow, what an amazing lunch experience. Kudos to your Mom for doing all that tequila with you. I don't think I could hang with that much straight tequila, though the margarita is totally up my alley.

The food looks great too! Especially the octopus. Yum :P

Hope you all are doing ok and calming nerves with lots of wine spritzers.

The Tequila Lunch looks great--makes me want to plan a trip around that one event--too bad I'm a three hour plane trip away!

That sounds like a great lunch. I would be OK with all of it, but the salad would be the iffy one for me. I'm not a huge fan of Arugula. I do like Octopus so that would be one I'd like for sure. I'm with you on the doneness of the filet, I would be happier with a non traditional flan as well. Sounds like a good amount of alcohol and a great lunch for the price. Mine is a over a month away so I wouldn't be surprised if they change it up.

I hope things are OK for you. I've been watching news coverage and was sad to see that the storm is passing directly over Naples. Stay safe.

We did the tequila lunch a couple years ago. The food was great, but I didn't like the tequila. It was Carlos Santana's brand. I found it a bit harsh. How was the tequila this year?

This year they had different brands of tequila for each of the selections. The Casa Noble they had was a reserve rather than the standard one and I liked it. The Casa Noble Blanco is a bit harsh but luckily we weren't given that!

Yum! That looks so good!

Looks like the tequila lunch was a success. I cant believe it's F&W time already. I'm going to have to look into the special events for our trip in November (I'm behind), I think the price on that is reasonable for all of the food and booze you get.

Stay safe this weekend! Hoping for the best for you guys and your home.

It was super yum!

The tequila lunch was a great success. I love Food & Wine time. $85 was a great deal for all that we got!

As far as the storm - um, I'm still without power. My street is still flooded. I'm at work today for the first time since September 6th to start working on the many emails I got from people not affected by the storm. I'll post pictures shortly.

Wow, what an amazing lunch experience. Kudos to your Mom for doing all that tequila with you. I don't think I could hang with that much straight tequila, though the margarita is totally up my alley.

The food looks great too! Especially the octopus. Yum :P

Hope you all are doing ok and calming nerves with lots of wine spritzers.

I was shocked at how well my mother held on during the lunch! There was a reason we ended up napping once we returned to the room later!

I've had more alcohol this week than I did all of this Food & Wine Weekend. I finished off my bottle of wine. I'm out of beer and I worked on some of the hard stuff. My friend I've been staying the night at the last two days - we had vodka margaritas on Thursday Night and last night was Captain Morgan's!

The Tequila Lunch looks great--makes me want to plan a trip around that one event--too bad I'm a three hour plane trip away!

Well! There is always next year where you can plan for a longer stay and get to try it! They have the event three times a week I think.

That sounds like a great lunch. I would be OK with all of it, but the salad would be the iffy one for me. I'm not a huge fan of Arugula. I do like Octopus so that would be one I'd like for sure. I'm with you on the doneness of the filet, I would be happier with a non traditional flan as well. Sounds like a good amount of alcohol and a great lunch for the price. Mine is a over a month away so I wouldn't be surprised if they change it up.

I hope things are OK for you. I've been watching news coverage and was sad to see that the storm is passing directly over Naples. Stay safe.

Going through the eye of the storm was the freakiest thing I've ever experienced.

The lunch was a great amount of value for the cost! I hope you have a wonderful time at yours in a month as well!

I had just looked on here to see if you posted a few minutes ago and low and behold there you are. Glad to hear you are ok and returning to some semblance of normalcy. Sending lots of good vibes your way.

Hurricane Update

Naples got hit by the eye of the storm. That is one of the freakiest things to go through as we had winds in excess of 130 mph at my house (Naples airport got gusts of 142).

House is ok. The only tree that hit the house didn't harm the roof but it did destroy the gutter. In all I lost about 10 trees and my backyard fence. My entire street is flooded worse than it ever has been. It took 36 hours before my husband's Jeep would even be able to make it through (even that was iffy).

I have no power and may not get it back until Sept 22nd. As I'm on well - no power means no water but luckily we filled our tubs up so we can at least flush.

My dog with congestive heart failure is not doing well with this heat and lack of power. I've been trying to get him in my car (Prius) to cool down every 4 hours or so since it isn't lack I'll be able to drive t for another few days as the street recedes. At this point, I'm hoping I'm not going to have to put him down when we go to the vet on September 23rd for his annual check up.

I'm so thankful for the dr cool towels we've gotten at the RunDisney races. It's about the only way I could sleep was with them on top of me.

Cell phone service is iffy but I'm back at work today so I'm able to update as a mental break.

As of Thursday, I've been spending the evenings and night at my friend's house who has power + water. I'm so thankful for her! (My friend that I've gone on multiple Disney trips with)

We still have a lot of debris clean up to do but without power and with the flooding, there is only so much we can do at the moment.

So here are some before pictures:
Yq7BAXG.jpg

MEVUnVp.jpg

4RyowUo.jpg

t76HEeq.jpg

TkS4K9u.jpg

Here are the after pictures:
uq9yjie.jpg

cM5VR3b.jpg

h3mxX8w.jpg

MOUmBYE.jpg

k4PGpOL.jpg

306rdXq.jpg

rf1RIYQ.jpg

nQ3AoGI.jpg

MvJMM1C.jpg

e8xOvDX.jpg

7bBcD9G.jpg

BMrubWA.jpg

4gAoVuJ.jpg

TmXHOiB.jpg

5NIrfcc.jpg

jx7wT4D.jpg

2Vh9yzL.jpg

ApU3fWf.jpg

jyZoY9B.jpg

xc0R1Vs.jpg

Food & Wine Festival

Since obviously, I hadn’t had enough food or drink after the Tequila Lunch, I stopped by two booths on our way out of the park for a nap. (Naps after excessive drinking are necessary and they took away my nap ride for Guardians of the Galaxy)

Brewer’s Collection

I know the pomegranate beer had differing opinions at the preview. I wanted to try it again at the festival since the festival would have it out of a keg instead of a bottle. Beer does just taste better out of a keg! I also knew I would be ok with this alcoholic beverage after the lunch since the ABV is so low with schofferhofer beers. (2.5% - it is like drinking water at that point!) I still liked this version as the keg totally made it taste better!

b73THyw.jpg

Schofferhofer Hefeweizen Pomegranate Beer

Brazil

I also decided I needed something to soak up more of the alcohol in my stomach before we headed back to the Beach Club. I’ve loved the cheese bread for years now. This was again just as good as I remember it being. Having warm cheesy bread is the best when you’ve been drinking! Did I need it? No but I wanted it. After this, I was overly full so we were done with the festival for the time being!

fcSFVUB.jpg

Pao de queijo: Brazilian Cheese Bread

Back at the room, we got settled and both ended up napping until 3:30pm.​

I had just looked on here to see if you posted a few minutes ago and low and behold there you are. Glad to hear you are ok and returning to some semblance of normalcy. Sending lots of good vibes your way.

Well - it won't be normal for a while. I'm just hoping for power before the 22nd. I hate having to be relying on my friend (who I'm going to owe so much after this) but at least that is making it function somewhat. Thank you for the good vibes!

Wow, I can't believe all that you guys have and are going through. Fingers crossed the power can come back more quickly so you can get back to the house permanently. And poor doggie. Hope he is ok.

I also was thinking of you and am so happy to see an update. My goodness! I can't imagine. Fingers crossed power returns sooner and that your pup is ok. This was a heck of a storm. Hang in there!! :goodvibes

Thinking about you and your dogs. Glad you were able to update from work.

I will give the schoferhoffer another go since I did not care for the chocolate milk stout at the preview and it turned out to be fantastic on draft! Keg versus bottle does make so much difference. I love that pao from Brazil too. I was trying to halfway stay on my diet last visit so I deprived myself of the bread... but in October it's on!

Hope you guys get your power back long before the 22nd.

Last edited:
Hoping you have power soon. Sorry about all the trees. Yikes.

The first day I went to try the pomegranate beer was the day after Labor Day and they had sold out. I tried a lemon they had as a replacement - blech. And I like lemon flavored things. Luckily , a couple so days later , back on tap. I think I still prefer the grapefruit but did enjoy the pomegranate .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter