"We Wants the Red-Head..."

My issue is that Disney has decided that they just have to market their films through their theme parks. Movies get old, actors go bad, "Johnny Dep" and having a ride that will be around for 20 years will do nothing to enhance the movie and the movie will not enhance the attraction "Pandora"

My issue is that Disney has decided that they just have to market their films through their theme parks. Movies get old, actors go bad, "Johnny Dep" and having a ride that will be around for 20 years will do nothing to enhance the movie and the movie will not enhance the attraction "Pandora"

The purpose of The Wonderful World of Disney was to advertise upcoming films (i.e. Snow White) and then Disneyland. This is keeping with how things always were.

Wait. We are being told not to overthink the scene by someone who is claiming that a robot is into being sold to other drunk and dirty robots because she has a dress on?

I think we have reached maximum absurdity at this point and should all just accept that the change is happening and the red head robot will still have a come hither stare to those who notice it.

I honestly don't even remember the scene in the ride and I'll have fun regardless of the scenes in the ride, but couldn't an argument be made that it's something that would have actually been going on in that era? We can't whitewash history - although to PJ's point, this is an amusement park ride and not a historical monument.

My issue is there is no consistency with what is and isn't appropriate. I mean shouldn't we be offended that a ride implies suicide as a way out. Or another continues to portray Native Americans in a cartoonish manner. Or the fact that the same ride features the likeness of a character who's actually assaulted an actual woman

This. Exactly this. My issue with them doing this is not about THIS particular attraction, or this scene. It's the fact that due to political correctness we are not only changing theme park rides, but in some cases, rewriting history and removing the parts we no longer care to remember. It's scary. Very very scary.

I honestly don't even remember the scene in the ride and I'll have fun regardless of the scenes in the ride, but couldn't an argument be made that it's something that would have actually been going on in that era? We can't whitewash history - although to PJ's point, this is an amusement park ride and not a historical monument.

I think that is a very good point - this isn't something people ride to get a full understanding of Pirate life or to do research for a book report - this is supposed to be a fun time spend traveling through a storyline designed to give you some thrills and a sense of adventure.

Which is why I feel (a) it would be fine if they left it and (b) it is fine that they change it - and if you don't want it changed I don't think that means you support human trafficking and if you really want it changed I don't think that means you don't care about the history of the parks

Well they are just updating the scene; as the scallywags would have sold off people stuff too.

Also great to include a Lady pirates, as there were a few pirate ladies sailing the 7 seas.

so not really whitewashing History just giving you another example of Pirate-y behavior. (really need a pirate emoji right about now ) pirate:

Well they are just updating the scene; as the scallywags would have sold off people stuff too.

Also great to include a Lady pirates, as there were a few pirate ladies sailing the 7 seas.

so not really whitewashing History just giving you another example of Pirate-y behavior. (really need a pirate emoji right about now )

pir8.gif

I thought the Disneyland team had a much more sensible view. I agreed with them completely.
I'm OK with the change, I do agree with the OP about Julie's comments. I have never seen anything, ever, that indicates that Walt, the Imagineers or any CEO all the way to Bob Iger has ever supported or endorsed sex trafficking.
Yes, the stewardship over the legacy of Walt includes evolving it as times change, updating it, and adding to it to make it even better. But let's not make like it's about something so ugly. I thought her comments were unfair because that was never anyone's intentions.

The purpose of The Wonderful World of Disney was to advertise upcoming films (i.e. Snow White) and then Disneyland. This is keeping with how things always were.

Times have TOTALLY changed. Then, the movies came to movie theaters maybe once a year. You couldn't buy movies to play them over and over again and Netflicks didn't exist to watch on demand. Disney didn't have multiple TV channels playing movies over and over again. The attractions then were based primarily on cartoon movies that had previously stood the test of time for years and years and were extremely popular nation wide. Now, many of Hollywood's stars like Johnny Dep have gone absolutely nuts. Plus Disney seems to be buying properties like Tron, that nobody cares about, and using properties like Pandora that nobody cares about, forcing them down our throats on new attractions that will last for 20-30 years. Disney was not built on movies, but on the celebration of Adventures. Adventures into outer space, Adventures Under and on the Seas, Adventures in the Wild Wild West. Adventure into the Jungles of Africa and basically on a celebration of the history of down to earth rural America.

Last edited:
I thought the Disneyland team had a much more sensible view. I agreed with them completely.
I'm OK with the change, I do agree with the OP about Julie's comments. I have never seen anything, ever, that indicates that Walt, the Imagineers or any CEO all the way to Bob Iger has ever supported or endorsed sex trafficking.
Yes, the stewardship over the legacy of Walt includes evolving it as times change, updating it, and adding to it to make it even better. But let's not make like it's about something so ugly. I thought her comments were unfair because that was never anyone's intentions.

I don't think Julie was implying that anyone connected with Disney when the ride was developed (or even now) is supporting or endorsing sex trafficking ... I think more that it can be interpreted and received as minimizing or making light of that very serious issue that is ongoing in our world

I am not big on revisionist history, but then I realize that this is a Disney ride, for children and families, and I say go ahead and change it but try to keep the original line in and the original characters. But since this is a ride for kids of all ages, go ahead, that's fine.

Which is why I feel (a) it would be fine if they left it and (b) it is fine that they change it - and if you don't want it changed I don't think that means you support human trafficking and if you really want it changed I don't think that means you don't care about the history of the parks
Once again - a fellow poster - and I'm not surprised at all it's my friend @TheMaxRebo, since he does it SO often, and SO well - has stated EXACTLY how I feel, MUCH more eloquently than my mouth could form the words, even though my BRAIN knows how I feel.

I had a problem with ideas/thoughts/suggestions made HERE, and HOW they were stated, NOT on the attraction itself. I feel EXACTLY the way he stated, above - keep it, change it, no huge deal to me either way.

Last edited:
Yes, @TheMaxRebo has a very fair view on it.

Personally, I don't really care what they do with that scene. This sort of thing is just triggering to folks like me who fear the "tyranny of the most offended person." That's why you see a lot of statements about, "Where does it stop?" It doesn't. And things like this are sobering. But I'm not about to start a Civil War over a theme park ride.

For those interested the version in Disneyland Paris is open so you can see the scene. Personally it looks more like a relatively quick overlay rather than a brand new scene. It's in French obviously but I am seeing one line translates to: "We want guns! Like the red head!"

For those interested the version in Disneyland Paris is open so you can see the scene. Personally it looks more like a relatively quick overlay rather than a brand new scene. It's in French obviously but I am seeing one line translates to: "We want guns! Like the red head!"

It looks awful. Boring. They could have done something better since they are taking away such an iconic scene. I have said it before and I will say it again. I am still upset they are changing it. I know Disney has made up their mind, but I still do not agree with it.

I thought it would be neat if they were holding something to find a new captain and they were saying "we wants the red head". As in they want her to be their new captain. Keeps the famous line but turns a potential negative into a positive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter