We were "that" family

This thread is awesome. Making me chuckle and also making me hang my head in shame for being "that" family last year.

We planned a huge family trip ( 20 something people) last September and of course it was hard to keep track of everyone coming and going. MIL decided to come along and she stayed in the room with DH, DS (2 at the time), DS (3.5 month) and I. Recipe for disaster and I love my MIL.

ODS loves meeting the characters and I wasn't prepared for how hot it would be so when, on our only MK day, a fastpass to meet Mickey at Town Square Theater opened up I grabbed it but could only get it for one person. As we walked by, the sign said the wait time would be 20 minutes so we decided to go in and if it was more than 30 minutes we would leave and wait for the fast pass time and one of us would take ODS while the others waited. Everything is going fine but the line takes about 3 times as long as it said. When ODS got tired of standing he only wanted me to hold him but when I passed the baby off to my MIL or to DH he would wail. I tell DH we should go, I'll feed the baby and you take ODS but he refuses because he wanted a picture of all of us with Mickey. I told him I would find fast passes and we could go back another day even if it was only to meet Mickey. He flat out refuses. I am now holding both kids and the baby is getting hungry. DH asks the CM how much longer the wait was going to be and he said we had two groups in front of us. I decide I'm just going to nurse the baby. I am always very discreet but standing in line was not my ideal nursing location. Then MIL starts asking me if I brought a blanket or if I want her scarf to cover up. I give DH the "make it stop" eyes and mutter that it was too hot to add another layer of clothing and I wouldn't be doing this if we had just left the line when I wanted to. DH and I bicker back and forth and MIL tells us to cool down and a billion people on vacation from Brazil witnessed the Great Mickey argument of 2015. All was forgotten when ODS got to run up to Mickey and even the baby seemed to calm down in the cool room.

Headed to WDW tomorrow night. I know we will have our fair share of head shaking moments but it's already started at home. My 11 y/o was complaining earlier because we go to WDW too much! "Why can't we go to Hawaii like my other friends?"

We have been THAT family so many times, and I'm still embarrassed about some of them to this day. This is the one that bothers me the most..... (Cringe)

My DS (3) wanted to meet the fairy Godmother and we happened to walk by when the line was short, my DD (5) was cranky and tired and didn't want to meet the fairy Godmother. She was constantly whining in line that it was hot and she wanted to go, and I kept telling her to hush, that her brother was excited to meet her, and she would have to get over it because he never said anything about meeting the characters she cared about, and the line was short. The whining and acting terrible continued for the entire line. When we were 2 families back from meeting the grandmother, DD starts whining that she has to pee. We had seriously just used the bathroom before we got in line, and we had only been in line 10 minutes. I told her there were two more people in front of us, that she was going to have to hold it. She starts screaming " I have to pee! I'm going to pee all over myself! I'm going to pee right now! Mama, take me to the potty!" And of course I know that she is lying, she just wants to get out of the line and is throwing a fit, but all of the passer-bys were giving me awful and terrible looks like I was the worse mother in the world. I seriously refused, in my anger and irritation, to get out of the line though and give in to her tantrum, and my son got his autograph and his picture, but I still wonder what those people passing by thought about the evil mother who wouldn't even take her kid to the bathroom. She never even used the bathroom either, not until hours later. Sigh. So embarassing.

We have been THAT family so many times, and I'm still embarrassed about some of them to this day. This is the one that bothers me the most..... (Cringe)

My DS (3) wanted to meet the fairy Godmother and we happened to walk by when the line was short, my DD (5) was cranky and tired and didn't want to meet the fairy Godmother. She was constantly whining in line that it was hot and she wanted to go, and I kept telling her to hush, that her brother was excited to meet her, and she would have to get over it because he never said anything about meeting the characters she cared about, and the line was short. The whining and acting terrible continued for the entire line. When we were 2 families back from meeting the grandmother, DD starts whining that she has to pee. We had seriously just used the bathroom before we got in line, and we had only been in line 10 minutes. I told her there were two more people in front of us, that she was going to have to hold it. She starts screaming " I have to pee! I'm going to pee all over myself! I'm going to pee right now! Mama, take me to the potty!" And of course I know that she is lying, she just wants to get out of the line and is throwing a fit, but all of the passer-bys were giving me awful and terrible looks like I was the worse mother in the world. I seriously refused, in my anger and irritation, to get out of the line though and give in to her tantrum, and my son got his autograph and his picture, but I still wonder what those people passing by thought about the evil mother who wouldn't even take her kid to the bathroom. She never even used the bathroom either, not until hours later. Sigh. So embarassing.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I'm sure we will be "that" family when we go next year. My dd (5) is already "that" child at home...I'm sure WDW will not help in that department...lol. But since I have not been with my kids yet, I will give you a great one from my teen years:

My mom and I were at one of the quick service places in the MK. It was crowded and she sent me to grab a table while she ordered food. I, as a responsible 15 year old boy, did that. While waiting for her to get through the line I saw this girl walking by and decided to go talk to her, keeping an eye on our table the whole time. Well, just as the conversation ended I turned around to find someone sit at our table and my mom arrived.

Mom: Christopher, I sent you to save a table, not to talk to girl.
Me: But mom, she was REALLY hot!

Needless to say that wasn't the answer she wanted to hear...

I'm sure we will be "that" family when we go next year. My dd (5) is already "that" child at home...I'm sure WDW will not help in that department...lol. But since I have not been with my kids yet, I will give you a great one from my teen years:

My mom and I were at one of the quick service places in the MK. It was crowded and she sent me to grab a table while she ordered food. I, as a responsible 15 year old boy, did that. While waiting for her to get through the line I saw this girl walking by and decided to go talk to her, keeping an eye on our table the whole time. Well, just as the conversation ended I turned around to find someone sit at our table and my mom arrived.

Mom: Christopher, I sent you to save a table, not to talk to girl.
Me: But mom, she was REALLY hot!

Needless to say that wasn't the answer she wanted to hear...

I can just see your mother's reaction. And it was interesting to hear a story from your perspective as a teen.

I can't believe I forgot about our most embarrassing "that family" moment in my first post!

The time my family "broke" spaceship earth...

So picture the omnimover boarding area of SE--limited time to arrange the family into the seats before the doors auto-lock.

I was 16, my brother was 13, and my sister was 10. Bro and Sis were going through a phase of not getting along, and boarding rides was becoming a battleground as they did not want to sit next to each other. So Dad and Sis get in the back of one car and Mom and I get in the front of another. Bro gets in the back of our car. But he decides he can't see or something and wants the front of the other car. Well, then Sis decides that she can't let Bro get what he wants and jumps back onto the platform to snag the front before he can get it. But her car had just hit the place where the doors close and lock. Her foot gets caught in the door triggering the ride to shut down.

My parents and I are mortified (all this happened super fast, and they were fussing at my siblings to cut it out the whole time). The justifiably annoyed CM comes over and extracts her, makes sure she is OK, and starts the ride going again. But now our ride vehicles are locked and Bro and Sis have to board a new car and ride in it together, :rotfl2:. Best part, the ride broke for real a minute later and they were stuck sitting together in the tunnel right before the cavemen for 30 minutes. :rotfl2:

I can just see your mother's reaction. And it was interesting to hear a story from your perspective as a teen.

Her reaction was priceless. That whole trip was an interesting one for us. I was going through this girl crazy stage and I think I embarrassed my mom constantly throughout that trip with all of my staring (leering?) and failed attempts at flirting (chatted up a really nice girl who turned out to be from Scotland...as this was the 90s there was no real chance of continuing that one...haha). But I would say of all of our family trips to WDW, that one has the most memories that get told when I come visit with my wife and kids...

As someone who relishes uncomfortable moments, this thread has been great. I could just sit on a bench in the parks all day, and watch these happen.

My wife, however, doesn't share the same sense of humor. We took the kids (DS 4 and DD 20-months) to get some ice cream the other day and when the waitress walked up to the table, our son, with complete innocence, looks at her and states "Excuse me, I think some of your teeth fell out". I almost lost it, while my poor wife tried to hide under the table. I'm so happy that speech therapy is paying off.

Each day is a new adventure in the things that come out of his mouth and I, for one, can't wait to see what wonderful gems he lays on us at Disney in November.

These make me giggle.
DH and I had a showdown over pizza in Epcot. This was our first trip...We really had not clue what we were doing then...We made NO.....Seriously none ADR. We just walked right up to va Napoli and tried to get a table. The only table was in direct sunlight....it was the surface of the sun. It didn't go well, didn't get pizza when back to Resort to cool off.

We were at Disney four weeks ago for my daughter's trip with a wish granting organization. Our first day at MK daughter asked to head back to Give Kids the World at 7 because it was raining, and we did. We returned three days later and it rained for three hours that afternoon. After hanging in the Wish Lounge for a couple of hours, she was ready to go back to GKTW. The rain finally let up, and I told her I wanted to stay.
So, she's whining to leave and I have a mini tantrum because I have wanted to watch MSEP since I was a little girl. DH told her to suck it up and she ended up liking it, Wishes, and fireworks.
Yes, I was the 40 something woman melting down outside Casey's over MSEP with my teen daughter following behind me in a wheel chair.
:sad2:

We were that family on our first visit to Disneyland. We are from the east coast, which means a wonderful 3 hour time difference. Our newly turned two year old was already well past her east coast nap time and was really tired, but we pressed on thinking she would fall asleep in her stroller. That's when she saw IT... IT being the carousel. A little background, first she hates sitting on the horses or animals, she wants to mind you, but when we get close she will chicken out so we sit on the benches. Another thing to understand, at our zoo, the carousel is free for under 2 and there is never a line, we could just hop on and ride around all day long if we like.

So there she was now pointing and going "horsey!! horsey!!! ride horsey!!". My husband gave me the look... you know the one, the one that say we will regret this, don't fall victim to this. I fell for it and into the line we went. Notice I said line. As soon as she realized that we were not getting on that stupid horse right that second, she started wailing, like full sad crying mess. Seriously, people said we could cut ahead of them, it was embarrassing. We get on the carousel and she wants to sit on the horsey. Well that's good because I didn't see an empty bench, so up we go. I'm thinking "wow she is really not freaking out about being on the actual horse". Oh foolish me, of course she wasn't, it wasn't moving. It. Starts. Moving. The wails start immediately, she is trying to get off the stupid horse! The parents around me are like side eyeing me. I could hear them saying in their heads "what an awful mother making her child ride a ride she was scared of". About 30 seconds before the ride ends, all of the sudden DD is now laughing and having a great time. I'm fuming at this point. The ride ends, we hop off the horse. Everyone remember what I said about the carousel back home? Well now a really long line has formed so we decide let's head to another ride. Nope... DD has a full on, earth shattering, I have just murdered everyone important in her life scream fest because we can't go back on the freaking horsey's. The kind of temper tantrum we have always said "I would never allow my child to get away with that sort of behavior" temper tantrum, falling on the ground, face to the sky, I hate this world, temper tantrum. Hubby snatches her up, belts her into the stroller and off we pretty much run, away from the carousel, away from all of the people all saying "I would never allow my child to get away with that sort of behavior", away from those stupid horsey's. 30 seconds later, everything goes dead silent. She instantly fell asleep... and then slept for the next 2 and half hours. I swear, that experience will leave me scarred for life.

My DD has a blanket she has had since birth she calls Ba. It's a very Linus in Peanuts thing, cuddles it and puts her thumb in her mouth when she's tired. But we NEVER let her take it in public. Not in stores or to school for nap time or anywhere. We were at MK when she was four and I had explained to her that we would be leaving Ba in the hotel room. I didn't want to chance her losing it and it's so germy there and she puts it in her mouth. She was fine with it, didn't complain. I had another pink fuzzy blanket in the stroller with her for her to cuddle with. Fast forward several hours later after rides, parade, meeting characters, lunch, and she's out cold sleeping in the stroller. My mom and I decide to do some shopping in the Emporium. DH stays behind and sits on a curb next to DD while she sleeps in the stroller.

After roaming around the store a while, mom and I are in line to pay and we hear a child screaming outside. The lady in front of us comments about "another typical Disney meltdown." When we get to the register the kid is screaming even louder and the guy ringing us up says, "Sounds like someone is torturing that poor kid out there." And as I'm grabbing my bag to go I hear it. In the child's screams is her yelling "I waaaannnt Ba!" Oh my God, it's my child! My child is the one screaming in the middle of Main Street! By the time we get outside she is calm, red faced and tear streaked and now eating a Mickey ice cream bar. Poor DH looks like he's been through war. He said she just woke up out of nowhere screaming for Ba and nothing would console her. Apparently a nice CM came out of nowhere and gave her a Mickey Bar and said "Don't you know, little princess, that there's no crying at Magic Kingdom?"

We were that family on our first visit to Disneyland. We are from the east coast, which means a wonderful 3 hour time difference. Our newly turned two year old was already well past her east coast nap time and was really tired, but we pressed on thinking she would fall asleep in her stroller. That's when she saw IT... IT being the carousel. A little background, first she hates sitting on the horses or animals, she wants to mind you, but when we get close she will chicken out so we sit on the benches. Another thing to understand, at our zoo, the carousel is free for under 2 and there is never a line, we could just hop on and ride around all day long if we like.

So there she was now pointing and going "horsey!! horsey!!! ride horsey!!". My husband gave me the look... you know the one, the one that say we will regret this, don't fall victim to this. I fell for it and into the line we went. Notice I said line. As soon as she realized that we were not getting on that stupid horse right that second, she started wailing, like full sad crying mess. Seriously, people said we could cut ahead of them, it was embarrassing. We get on the carousel and she wants to sit on the horsey. Well that's good because I didn't see an empty bench, so up we go. I'm thinking "wow she is really not freaking out about being on the actual horse". Oh foolish me, of course she wasn't, it wasn't moving. It. Starts. Moving. The wails start immediately, she is trying to get off the stupid horse! The parents around me are like side eyeing me. I could hear them saying in their heads "what an awful mother making her child ride a ride she was scared of". About 30 seconds before the ride ends, all of the sudden DD is now laughing and having a great time. I'm fuming at this point. The ride ends, we hop off the horse. Everyone remember what I said about the carousel back home? Well now a really long line has formed so we decide let's head to another ride. Nope... DD has a full on, earth shattering, I have just murdered everyone important in her life scream fest because we can't go back on the freaking horsey's. The kind of temper tantrum we have always said "I would never allow my child to get away with that sort of behavior" temper tantrum, falling on the ground, face to the sky, I hate this world, temper tantrum. Hubby snatches her up, belts her into the stroller and off we pretty much run, away from the carousel, away from all of the people all saying "I would never allow my child to get away with that sort of behavior", away from those stupid horsey's. 30 seconds later, everything goes dead silent. She instantly fell asleep... and then slept for the next 2 and half hours. I swear, that experience will leave me scarred for life.

I can totally relate to this one! Sounds similar but with my DD who was 2 and a half at the time and we were at MGM Studios. We stopped for one more photo and she just went into a huge fit. Right now at the bottom of my screen where they show other threads to check out is the title of this thread with the picture I posted of us trying to get a family photo in front of MGM. Too funny! Here it is again for those who don't want to have to scroll through the entire thread.

Last edited:
OK, this time a story about another "That family"-- you're read plenty of stories about my own family on this thread.

We were in Epcot 2 weeks ago. We routinely do the single rider line on Test Track, and this trip we met the BEST people there.

One time my daughter and I were paired with 2 adult sisters, 40ish, and their 7 year old sons. None of them had ever been on TT before and had no idea what to expect.

The mom next to me wasn't quick to get her seatbelt done, or her son's-- she was settling herself and her bag into the ride. The car in front of us starts to move, and she goes into panic mode, yelling and screaming that they weren't ready.

I told her that there was a seatbelt check coming up, and that the ride would not start until every one was safely belted in.

So the ride starts. And both women, in the loudest voices you could image, start yelling every 4 letter word you can think of. They were having a blast, but the profanity that came out of their mouths had me dying with laughter. Top volume, every curse in the book.

My daughter and I could barely stand at the end of the ride, we were laughing so hard.

Mine were totally fine the whole time at the parks, save for a couple grouchy moments. However, the Magical Express back to the airport was less than magical when my 4yo threw up. I changed him in the bus drop off area. Then after a 2.5hr flight back to Toronto, we finally loaded up into a taxi van to come home (a 25 min drive from the airport) and my 2yo threw up all over himself, and then 5 minutes later, 4yo threw up again. When we pulled into the driveway, I threw everything out of the van, including the children (who I then hosed down on the actual front lawn), all the barf clothes and bags, and all the luggage while my husband argued with the taxi guy who was trying to charge us for a whole day (there was maybe a tsp of vomit on the seat). I swore up and down that we were NEVER EVER going on another trip with the children until they were adults. Meanwhile....6 days until our next trip :) This time: Gravol for SURE.

We were that family 2 weeks ago in HS. We did an extended family trip with MIL, us and both DH's siblings and their kids. SIL#1 has 2 kids similar ages as 2 of ours. I made all the ADRS and FP selections since no one else was willing to do it. The day we arrived we all had FP to FEA and they waited for us to ride even though we hadn't arranged to wait. The next day we arrived at AK at Rope drop while SIL#1 and family didn't arrive until 5 min before our fp to Lion King show at 11am. We did not wait for them. Our next fp as a group was at 1pm and they waited for us even though we had not asked them too. The 2nd full day we had planned to arrive early at HS for JTA sign ups. I asked SIL#1 if they wanted us to wait for them since their kids wanted to do it too. She could not commit to meet us as her DH has commitment issues. We told them that we would be at the bus stop at 7:20am. MIL shared a room with them and came out at 7:15am. We were ready so we asked her if we should wait and she said no. We arrived at the bus stop and immediately there was a bus. MIL said to get on so we did. We arrived at HS around 7:30am and waited for rope drop. SIL#1 and crew arrived around 8:30am. As soon as they allowed us, we "walked" to JTA and had our kids signed up for the 10:10am show. As we left the sign ups, we saw SIL with her boys and she made a snide remark "thanks for waiting." We shrugged it off and went to look for something to snack on but nothing was open yet since the park wasn't technically open. After signing up her kids, SIL comes stomping over to me and begins screaming my plan sucks, how it isn't doable, that we were supposed to be at the bus stop and we weren't, how they had spent all this time waiting for us, how dare we not think of the children and what a pain her husband was to get anywhere in the morning and they were at the bus stop. She screamed "do you not want to spend time with my family?" I had had enough and responded "yes, you are right. I don't want to be with your family!" MIL was right there and didn't say a word. So my word of advice is DO NOT DO Disney with extended family.

I can totally relate to this one! Sounds similar but with my DD who was 2 and a half at the time and we were at MGM Studios. We stopped for one more photo and she just went into a huge fit. Right now at the bottom of my screen where they show other threads to check out is the title of this thread with the picture I posted of us trying to get a family photo in front of MGM. Too funny! Here it is again for those who don't want to have to scroll through the entire thread.

I remember seeing that before and it makes me smile/feel pity each time. Been there many times.

I don't know if I've posted this before or not. Our last trip, my oldest daughter (12) was in full-on "this is lame/no one likes this/do we really have to ride this" mode. We were at AK and I suggested heading to Dinoland because DD3 loves the triceratop/Dumbo knockoff. Immediately, she starts in with how no one likes it and we'll get stuck at the Boneyard for hours and Restaurantosaurus only serves fried crap and fill-in-the-blank drama llama. I turned and snapped, "for the love of God, it's Dinoland, not the Bataan Death March." I sometimes wonder after-the-fact if anyone else notices the meltdown. In the moment, I'm just hot and tired and sick of the fighting.

Hopefully we won't be that family but am I bad, evil, saddistic?

I go to every park/cruise trying to snap the shot of THAT kid having a total meltdown. On the Disney cruise it took me seven days to find a little brat :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter