We were "that" family

These are great! We are leaving in 22 days with our 3 & 6 year olds, so I'm sure I'll have a story or two when I get back. Reading these is a good reality check before we head down.

My moment was actually not at Disney but on DCL ... while IN port in Nassau.. not even moving and ready ? Not one sip of alcohol I fell down the stairs from the adult deck I screamed a very loud nasty word and ended up in a wheel chair with a broken ankle lol that evening my dd 10 then was pushing me through the atrium and some little boys were very loudly sword fighting and not paying attention to ANYONE around them while mom stood there clueless .. well of course the BOTH fell onto my foot where I scream very bad words lol and my dad yells “ GET OFF MY MOM IDIOT !”
The clueless mother was only worried about if her kids were ok ( they were just fine ) while I’m yelling “ lady THEY are fine but get them OFF my blank blank foot !” The cast members were horrified watching this and ran over with ice packs and Motrin haha luckily I had a good amount of REAL pain killers in my stateroom

Oh absolutely!

My son wet his pants 2 years in a row @ MK (he was 5 & 6 and didn't want to take time out to go to the bathroom, and din't tell anyone until it was too late) The ride back on the bus was unpleasant and accompanied by a lot of "I'm not sitting with him....ewwww! He has pee-pants!" :sad2:

......and the constant "sister hitting."

......and last year the daily argument over the top bunk (no bunks this year :thumbsup2 )

...and as we were getting ready to go to MNSSHP when a cast member called my daughter a beautiful princess (she was soooo proud of her dress) and my son corrected him saying, "No, she is a FAT princess!" :eek:

...and the knock-down, drag-out over a bag of doritos...:scared1:

...and another no-holds barred death match over which color power ranger we were going to see! :sad2:

...and the time my son left his fanny pack that held about 10 lbs of candy from MNSSHP and his lanyard with about a zillion traded pins in the bathroom (we told him not to take it off 84,000 times!) it was never returned....and the 1/2 hour sob fest that followed :sad1: He then got the brilliant idea that his sister should share hers (pins and all) because he didn't have any...the argument went something like this...."I'm not giving you mine, it's not my fault you are a stupid baby and lost yours!" "Mommy told you not to take it off, dummy!" ...and the well thought out reply...."You're fat! and you stink!"
I am so appreciating that single child thing right now.

This thread is great.....ours was day 7 of 8 at the Art of Animation food court. I had meticulously planned the trip and was traveling with my husband, daughter and HIS entire family. I tried to include everyone’s preference, ride favorites, eating habits, I really tried so hard to make everyone happy. So there we are day 7 of 8 at the food court. Husband is fighting and pissy at HIS sister and her husband. Daughter is annoyed with cousin who she normally adores. I am placating everyone and putting ona happy face until i ask one of them, to I don’t know, grab a napkin or something and they BOTH start *****ing and complaining about it. I threw my pizza on the table and burst into tears (I am not a crier) I started yelling st both of them.....how hard I had worked, how I’m sick of making everyone get along, how all I asked is help getting one god d@mn napkin and they can’t even shut up for one second and do what I ask. The look on both of their faces was pure comedy. My daughter almost burst into tears herself, her eyes got so big, I don’t think she’s ever really seen me upset like that....and over a napkin, no less. My husband jumped up, got s napkin and then when I left the table to grab something , they ran to the gift shop and bought me something. They were both falling over themselves and were appreciated and helpful. It was classic Disney meltdown.....by a 30 something year old.o_O:laughing:

I am so glad I'm not the only one! I posted about this experience on a different thread a couple years ago, but it fits on here, too. On the last day of one of our trips we ate at Be Our Guest and my son (probably around 10 or so) didn't like the food. We went to get on SDMT with a Fastpass and as I got toward the front, a CM was asking people how many were riding. It was so loud, chaotic, and my anxiety started to kick in. When she motioned for us to come, I thought she was motioning to another group. So I stood there (very briefly, I thought) and turned my head around to look at DH to see if he was going and the CM put her hand on me and moved me forward and yelled something rude (I don't even remember what it was now). After the ride I started sobbing uncontrollably. It was the heat, exhaustion, anxiety, rude cast member, etc., and I had planned everything and felt like I had ruined our last day with my hissy fit. I had my head down to try to disguise my tears and not cause a scene. All of a sudden, a woman and a man in costume (I assume from Cinderella's court), came running up, the woman fussing at the man. I looked up and they were coming toward me! The woman chastised the squire for not cleaning out my stables in a satisfactory manner, and demanded that he apologize to me. He apologized multiple times in different manners, all hilarious, and each time he did, the lady would make him take many steps back and approach me again with a bow and an apology, saying he wasn't doing it correctly (mumbling, not bowing, being mildly insulting). My panic just flew out the window. Disney magic saved the day.

I am so glad I'm not the only one! I posted about this experience on a different thread a couple years ago, but it fits on here, too. On the last day of one of our trips we ate at Be Our Guest and my son (probably around 10 or so) didn't like the food. We went to get on SDMT with a Fastpass and as I got toward the front, a CM was asking people how many were riding. It was so loud, chaotic, and my anxiety started to kick in. When she motioned for us to come, I thought she was motioning to another group. So I stood there (very briefly, I thought) and turned my head around to look at DH to see if he was going and the CM put her hand on me and moved me forward and yelled something rude (I don't even remember what it was now). After the ride I started sobbing uncontrollably. It was the heat, exhaustion, anxiety, rude cast member, etc., and I had planned everything and felt like I had ruined our last day with my hissy fit. I had my head down to try to disguise my tears and not cause a scene. All of a sudden, a woman and a man in costume (I assume from Cinderella's court), came running up, the woman fussing at the man. I looked up and they were coming toward me! The woman chastised the squire for not cleaning out my stables in a satisfactory manner, and demanded that he apologize to me. He apologized multiple times in different manners, all hilarious, and each time he did, the lady would make him take many steps back and approach me again with a bow and an apology, saying he wasn't doing it correctly (mumbling, not bowing, being mildly insulting). My panic just flew out the window. Disney magic saved the day.

Ha! Thank you for that. Truly. My anxiety was getting to me badly a minute ago and reading that actually helped me to calm down. So thank you.

That’s a great story! Disney Magic for the win!!!

It’s a really good point though.....we all seem to say the same thing. Everything just builds and builds, the stress, heat, kids, until you blow!!! We are going in November and I’m going to try to remember to take more breaks and not wait until I burst into tears!!!!

We were at DL with my 4 year old DD, DS8, DH, DMIL, DFIL and my daughter started fussing right when we got to the park that she wanted up. I said she was a big girl and that if she didn’t want to walk or go in the stroller that we would go back to the hotel. My FIL wet to pick her up, and I said no she had to walk. My MIL started screaming at me then the went off in a huff and didn’t tLk to us for the last 3 days of the trip (they locked our adjoining rooms and woukdn’t answer the door). The last day of the trip everyone got nice Disney souvenirs, except I got a Disney Donald Duck knock off shirt that had I’m the Boss on it. I still laugh about that stupid **** and put it on my husband is annoying me. After all the fighting and my in-laws leaving causing a scene, my daughter of course decided walking was fine and had a great day. You have to love family.

We have been that family. My two year old threw herself down in front of Cinderella's castle at midday. Completely refused to get up. I am certain we are the star of a few photos taken that day. Don't feel bad. It happens. There is just SO much stimulation!

We had pushed nap time too far and she. was. done.

We were at DL with my 4 year old DD, DS8, DH, DMIL, DFIL and my daughter started fussing right when we got to the park that she wanted up. I said she was a big girl and that if she didn’t want to walk or go in the stroller that we would go back to the hotel. My FIL wet to pick her up, and I said no she had to walk. My MIL started screaming at me then the went off in a huff and didn’t tLk to us for the last 3 days of the trip (they locked our adjoining rooms and woukdn’t answer the door). The last day of the trip everyone got nice Disney souvenirs, except I got a Disney Donald Duck knock off shirt that had I’m the Boss on it. I still laugh about that stupid **** and put it on my husband is annoying me. After all the fighting and my in-laws leaving causing a scene, my daughter of course decided walking was fine and had a great day. You have to love family.

Oh, we went with our in-laws the first time went to WDW (well, other than one day at MK). MIL was fine with me doing all the planning, and I cleared everything with her (dates, budget, hotel, dining reservations) and worked in all their must-do attractions. We drove, and FIL kept looking like he was going to fall asleep, so we were all on edge during the drive until he finally turned the wheel over to me. We got a Nemo suite, and gave them the bedroom with the door. FIL immediately got angry because it wasn't what he wanted (I think maybe he wanted adjoining rooms). So they locked themselves in their room for a while, causing my son great distress because we had planned to go to a park. We finally just left them a note and went on. That became par for the course for the rest of the trip. They missed multiple dining reservations and park days, wouldn't tip servers or housekeeping (don't worry, we compensated for them), and missed almost all of their "must-dos," including the fireworks. MIL admitted to me recently that she doesn't remember most of the trip because she was taking painkillers for back problems that we didn't even know she had.

All in all, I would do it again, because it's Disney World, and ain't nothin' gonna keep us down. Would look into flying next time, though. Lol.

Last trip we had to go with my husband's sister's family (even though we vacation way differently than them) since we went twice with my sister's family (who vacations more like us & we don't have to worry about offending them). Let's just say our family moments have allowed me to safely say I don't have to worry about going on anymore vacations with my husband's sister's family to Disney or anywhere else.

Last trip we had to go with my husband's sister's family (even though we vacation way differently than them) since we went twice with my sister's family (who vacations more like us & we don't have to worry about offending them). Let's just say our family moments have allowed me to safely say I don't have to worry about going on anymore vacations with my husband's sister's family to Disney or anywhere else.
I feel your pain. Because of family circumstances we have to travel with 4 of my daughters maternal relatives (including mom) and we are very different people. The girls and I are park commando's while I affectionately refer to these people as the old people (even thou I am the oldest). At least you tried. My daughter has already told me when she is old enough to do her own trips the only person from her family that she will even consider inviting is me.

I had a tantrum moment.

My son was 15. DD 9. I planned out a wonderful trip. My son decided that he was going to complain about EVERYTHING. If we had a reservation at Ohana why couldn't we eat there tomorrow and eat at X place today. If we were eating at X place tomorrow why couldn't we eat there Friday. Why? No one knows why. If we turned right why couldn't we go left. If we turned left why couldn't we turn right. If we had a FP for 7DMT why couldn't we switch it and do it in 20 minutes instead. Why? No one knows why still!!??! this was for 3 days straight. On day 3 MK and EMH until 1 am. It was raining but it was passing through and I knew the park would clear out and it would be an amazing night. Nope....my son was very into his hair and refused to wear a poncho. But he didn't want his hair to get wet. The hair situation was so bad that he wouldn't jump in the pool because when he came back up his hair would be messed up so he would dip his head under, put his hand on his hair and slowly come out of the water. He also didn't want his shoes to get wet so as we are going into the MK he's HOPPING over every puddle down main street trying avoid puddles but it's down pouring. Whatever....the shoes are getting wet!!!! We get to 7DMT and it's closed and they moved our FP+. He wanted to WAIT in the line for them to reopen. NO!! We will ride something else until it opens. Nope.....he wanted to wait right there. I offered him numerous times to go back to the Poly and stay in the room. Nope. After about 30 minutes of this I said forget this crap....let's GO. He kept muttering out of his breath about what I don't know what and complaining about the poncho. We get to the monorail and I lost it. Luckily not too loud. I got close to his face and told him if he didn't shut his pie hole he was going to be on the next plane back as an unassisted minor and his father would pick him up at the airport. It almost got ugly but my SO got in between us and told my son to drop it because he was going to lose this one. I got right on the phone with his father and checked southwest flights. His father said send him back, that no one deserves to deal with that crap and if he wasn't having a good time he can just stay home.

We got to the Poly, I dropped the kids in the room and we went to Tambu Lounge. I drank my sorrows away of not having a magical night at the MK until 1 am. The next day it's like Jesus himself dropped me off a new son and the rest of the trip was great.

I felt really bad for my daughter because she wanted to have fun. She did start complaining but only after he would say this or that so she thought something better was over there instead of the ride we were about to do. DS has since apologized (a lot) and went on his senior trip with his friends (he's 18 now). He had an amazing time and I'm taking DD back just us two. He wants to come but he will be in college when we go. I hope to do a family trip again one day so we can redeem ourselves.

Once we were at Mickey's Christmas Party trying to get our double stroller through the insane crowds that had gathered at the hub to go to Liberty Square for some cookies and Haunted Mansion. A woman and her large extended family had parked themselves on the designated walking path marked with tape and were refusing to move aside because they were staking out a parade/fireworks view spot. A number of us parents were trying to reason with them that they couldn't wait there (there was no CM in sight and it was packed wall to wall people) because it was a clearly marked walking path, and the only way through, but the woman was being very unreasonable and yelling at us all. After several minutes of stalemate, my five year old walks over to the woman and delivers a kick to her shin. I of course told him off for kicking right away, but I couldn't help but feel just a little bit pleased he had done it...

First time at Disney World with our then 6 y/o son, we elected to do "It's a Bugs Life" for the first thing. He was terrified, he hid under the seat crying. As we are leaving the theater, he says, "I want to go home now". We said you want to go back to the hotel? He informed us, "No. I want to get on the plane and go home". Fortunately, that week we were able to turn it around and he loved Disney. But, 8 years later, he has still never been back to see A Bugs Life.

This story is somewhere on another thread but it fits here too.

Me, DH and DD3 went to WDW for a week which DD knew about this part of trip. She didn’t want to leave WDW as we packed up the car to leave but she was resigned to it. The second part of the trip was a surprise…7 night cruise. We drove to the port and I pointed out Mickey’s ship to her and asked her if she wanted to sail with him and she said “No, I want to go back to Disney.” I told her we are going because we are booked on the ship and she was not happy.

We boarded late because the ship just got out of dry dock so they started boarding, I think around 1 and I think we got on after 2 so we were all a bit cranky. By the time we got on it was too late for lunch, DD was very cranky so we went to our cabin and tried to get her to nap or at least relax before muster and snacked on rice krispie treats sent by our travel agent.

DD did NOT want to go to muster drill so we put off going as long as we could but I finally had to just pick her up and go. She is screaming on the top of her lungs and we were mortified. We are heading down the stairs to muster station and she is still screaming. A guy turns to me and says, “You better shut her the *@$k up or I will throw her overboard.” DH was behind me at the time, moved beside me and screamed, “Hey!” The guy took one look at DH who is big intimidating looking, the guy turns and runs down the stairs, shoving people out of his way and runs right into security who are looking at DH to see if he was going to come after the guy. Gotta give DH credit for holding his temper back, he had just taken a few steps but stopped when he saw security. Not sure what happened to the guy but he and security disappeared.

Finally get to muster station and she is still crying but at least not screaming. CM’s were great trying to comfort her. A few passengers were trying to console me since I’m sure I still looked mortified.

Thankfully, never saw the guy again and she did warm up quickly to the cruise by the next day. This was the worst meltdown she has ever had. She is usually pretty easy going.

This story is somewhere on another thread but it fits here too.

Me, DH and DD3 went to WDW for a week which DD knew about this part of trip. She didn’t want to leave WDW as we packed up the car to leave but she was resigned to it. The second part of the trip was a surprise…7 night cruise. We drove to the port and I pointed out Mickey’s ship to her and asked her if she wanted to sail with him and she said “No, I want to go back to Disney.” I told her we are going because we are booked on the ship and she was not happy.

We boarded late because the ship just got out of dry dock so they started boarding, I think around 1 and I think we got on after 2 so we were all a bit cranky. By the time we got on it was too late for lunch, DD was very cranky so we went to our cabin and tried to get her to nap or at least relax before muster and snacked on rice krispie treats sent by our travel agent.

DD did NOT want to go to muster drill so we put off going as long as we could but I finally had to just pick her up and go. She is screaming on the top of her lungs and we were mortified. We are heading down the stairs to muster station and she is still screaming. A guy turns to me and says, “You better shut her the *@$k up or I will throw her overboard.” DH was behind me at the time, moved beside me and screamed, “Hey!” The guy took one look at DH who is big intimidating looking, the guy turns and runs down the stairs, shoving people out of his way and runs right into security who are looking at DH to see if he was going to come after the guy. Gotta give DH credit for holding his temper back, he had just taken a few steps but stopped when he saw security. Not sure what happened to the guy but he and security disappeared.

Finally get to muster station and she is still crying but at least not screaming. CM’s were great trying to comfort her. A few passengers were trying to console me since I’m sure I still looked mortified.

Thankfully, never saw the guy again and she did warm up quickly to the cruise by the next day. This was the worst meltdown she has ever had. She is usually pretty easy going.
Wow. You were not at all "THAT" family - meltdowns happen all the time, especially at that age ... but that guy - WOW. He was "THAT" guy.

Which reminds me of a story with ODD a few years ago, right before she turned 3. DH was supposed to hang out with her while I used a Space Mountain FP. Apparently as soon as I left, DD (in full Elsa gear) decided it would be fun to run away in the dark (crowds were gathering for Wishes, and we had a Wishes viewing FP). I get off Space Mountain and call DH to figure out where to meet up and he is shouting, "We are NOT COMING BACK TO DISNEY FOR YEARS!!!!!!" When we meet up, Elsa is strapped into the stroller and having a meltdown about missing fireworks, DH is having a meltdown about chasing Elsa through crowds of people in the dark, and I am starting to have a meltdown because I see that we are not going to get to use the Wishes FP... We were back 9 months later.

Oh, but it was a bad bad meltdown...lol...and I know I was being judged as That BAD Mom with the bratty kid...lol. I am really sorry to those that were there because I know it hurt their ears. She does have her mini melt downs once in a while but this rivaled my DH's childhood meltdowns that I have heard about...lol. Thankfully it was a great cruise and she loved the kids club.

Reading these, I am so glad to know that I'm not the only adult to lose it once in a while. :blush:

And that DD isn't the only child to lose it once in a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter