We will visit Australia in 2020!

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
We will be taking a 28 night cruise around Australia in March 2020.

Question #1....adjusting to time. We are on the East Coast of US. Would it be easier for us to spend 3-5 nights in Hawaii, then come to Sidney for two nights before the cruise. Or should we fly to Australia and adjust to the time change there for a week.

We are a couple who have been happily married for 50 years, but this single decision has us at odds.:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Bobbi

Hi Bobbiwoz,

I’m certainly no jet lag expert, but this is what I think will happen.

Stopping in Hawaii will be less of a shock to the system and you’ll ease into the new timeframe in a gentler way. However, you’ll be adjusting the whole week.

Going straight to Sydney it will be difficult for the first day or two, but you will adjust faster.

To be honest, I would pick based on what place interests you more and/or what place will be harder to get back to in the future.

Also, as a side note, if I’m doing an ‘ease into a new timeframe’ stopover, I prefer to do it on the way home. It helps me readjust to ‘real life’ better and helps to minimise the post holiday blues.

Hope something here helps. :goodvibes

Hi Bobbiwoz,

I’m certainly no jet lag expert, but this is what I think will happen.

Stopping in Hawaii will be less of a shock to the system and you’ll ease into the new timeframe in a gentler way. However, you’ll be adjusting the whole week.

Going straight to Sydney it will be difficult for the first day or two, but you will adjust faster.

To be honest, I would pick based on what place interests you more and/or what place will be harder to get back to in the future.

Also, as a side note, if I’m doing an ‘ease into a new timeframe’ stopover, I prefer to do it on the way home. It helps me readjust to ‘real life’ better and helps to minimise the post holiday blues.

Hope something here helps. :goodvibes

We both like the idea of picking the place we most likely will not get to again!

Thank you!

Question #1....adjusting to time. We are on the East Coast of US. Would it be easier for us to spend 3-5 nights in Hawaii, then come to Sidney for two nights before the cruise. Or should we fly to Australia and adjust to the time change there for a week.

We are a couple who have been happily married for 50 years, but this single decision has us at odds.:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Bobbi

Bobbi!!!! Yay! Awesome news.

I tend to think just head to Australia in the one hit is better for jet lag. But it is a long way to fly without a break from your end of the world.

If time is not an issue, then the stop in Hawaii would be good. You will be adjusting to 2 time zones; but it may be easier for you and hubby.

Dare I hope you’re planning on coming to visit me too? I have a spare room.....(you can come adjust for that week here if it suits your plans).

Ps. Say hello to your sister.

I was in Australia a long time ago (over ten years). So my memory on it is not the freshest but we flew right into Melbourne, stayed there a few days then went to Sydney. I don’t have any memory of being totally wiped out- in fact we did quite a bit in Melbourne in those few days. For me coming home was worse, pretty sure I slept for like 14 hours straight as soon as I got back. Same with Hawaii when I was there, I remember being tired but we had a drink and dinner and went to bed early-ish. I don’t think stopping in Hawaii is worth it, personally. Spend the whole time in Australia, there’s so much to do and you’ll adjust. It’s awesome there, I hope to go back one day!

I was in Australia a long time ago (over ten years). So my memory on it is not the freshest but we flew right into Melbourne, stayed there a few days then went to Sydney. I don’t have any memory of being totally wiped out- in fact we did quite a bit in Melbourne in those few days. For me coming home was worse, pretty sure I slept for like 14 hours straight as soon as I got back. Same with Hawaii when I was there, I remember being tired but we had a drink and dinner and went to bed early-ish. I don’t think stopping in Hawaii is worth it, personally. Spend the whole time in Australia, there’s so much to do and you’ll adjust. It’s awesome there, I hope to go back one day!
Thank you! Yes, I think we will fly to Melbourne and hopefully connect with Princess in Oz! We met in WDW a few years ago, and it would be fun! I am glad that I came here to ask.
Bobbi:)

PIO, I THINK we are on DIS at the same time??! ( I saw you liked!)

Thanks,
Bobbi

Congrats on the exciting news! When we return from WDW each year, we just get on with it. Generally we do MCO-LAX-SYD and the flights land in Sydney in the AM. It can be challenging to keep going to adjust to the time change. We recently did a return flight from the UK, so pretty much the same overall flight time, just in the other direction, that landed in Sydney late PM. It was awesome because we went home and just crashed, and we’re pretty much back to normal rhythm straight away. I have a feeling that most flights from US to AUS will land in the AM (not found a PM one yet that connects with EC too), but maybe keep a look out for a PM landing flight?

Congrats on the exciting news! When we return from WDW each year, we just get on with it. Generally we do MCO-LAX-SYD and the flights land in Sydney in the AM. It can be challenging to keep going to adjust to the time change. We recently did a return flight from the UK, so pretty much the same overall flight time, just in the other direction, that landed in Sydney late PM. It was awesome because we went home and just crashed, and we’re pretty much back to normal rhythm straight away. I have a feeling that most flights from US to AUS will land in the AM (not found a PM one yet that connects with EC too), but maybe keep a look out for a PM landing flight?

Thank you. From Honolulu one did land in PM to Sydney.

We are definitely heading to Melbourne now and will keep an eye on to what you suggest.

I am on DVC s Member Cruise so will be away from here until Friday!

That’s the best idea to just get here without a stopover, saves adjusting twice. The most important thing is to not nap during the day, do some walking around Southbank, catch the tram to St Kilda, wander through the Fitzroy and Treasury Gardens and stay hydrated. You’ll be so wiped out by 6pm or 7pm that you’ll sleep through the night and wake up refreshed and ready to go.
Have a great trip,
All the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!