wearing a heart monitor at the parks

firemanx

DIS Veteran
So my sister keeps having a high heart rate& Dr wants her to wear a heart monitor now we go to wdw in 2 weeks,but concern is going thru security. this monitor looks like a 90's era walkman on her belt loops, Now has anybody ever had troubles with this type of thing?

My friend when with one she had it for s month) and security .was fine most of the time they said nothing one time they asked her what it was and she just said what it was and that was it. I forget if she ever asked through the meter detectors and if she did or asked to be wonded

Last edited:
I think they might ask what it is out of curiosity more than anything else, but other than that should be fine since it is a medical device.

I am assuming this device does more than smart watches could do, otherwise I was suggesting a smart watch or fitness tracker as an alternative since most can do heart monitoring, some are better and more comprehensive than others, but still.

I think they might ask what it is out of curiosity more than anything else, but other than that should be fine since it is a medical device.

I am assuming this device does more than smart watches could do, otherwise I was suggesting a smart watch or fitness tracker as an alternative since most can do heart monitoring, some are better and more comprehensive than others, but still.

It is very different from a smart watch. It is a continuous EKG that is being recorded so a cardiologist can analyze the rhythm and wave patterns of the heart. OP you should not have any problems getting through security. if they question it just tell them what it is and you will be fine.

Of course it is different. As @redberyl statd, it is an actual cardiac monitor recording ECG waves for analysis. It is far more than a Smart Watch

So my sister keeps having a high heart rate& Dr wants her to wear a heart monitor now we go to wdw in 2 weeks,but concern is going thru security. this monitor looks like a 90's era walkman on her belt loops, Now has anybody ever had troubles with this type of thing?

Haven't worn them at Disney, but have worn them different times and my issue would be just being out and about walking in the heat. IMO, they are uncomfortable with the wires/leads and slightly heavy, but that is only my personal assessment.

It is very different from a smart watch. It is a continuous EKG that is being recorded so a cardiologist can analyze the rhythm and wave patterns of the heart. OP you should not have any problems getting through security. if they question it just tell them what it is and you will be fine.
There are a couple of models out there that can do this, but admittedly I don't know how accurate they are, which is why I asked the question, I was genuinely curious.

This is a bit off topic, but I work in the Ferguson, MO area, three miles from all the chaos after the Michal Brown shooting and "no indictment" decision. The day or so after the "no indictment" decision, when tensions were very much still high in the area, I had to do a 24-hour heart monitor. I work in a state gov't building. It was fine, but I was really hoping I wouldn't have to add "got arrested because the police thought my heart monitor was a bomb" to my "event log" of things that may trigger a higher heart rate...

There are a couple of models out there that can do this, but admittedly I don't know how accurate they are, which is why I asked the question, I was genuinely curious.
yes they are very very different. It is kind of like someone needing glasses you can see without them but with the glasses, you can see much better. a heart monitor on a watch can detect the most common heart problem ( Afib ) but not all types and is not as good as the one the OP is talking about ( and I am not expert on this just know a little from the time I had to wear one and from my friend)

Yes. It sends readings 100% of the time it's worn, directly to the monitoring center.

it has been years but for one grandson's WISH trip daughter had to wear one because of heart attack. no problems flying other than she had to have pat down as she could not go thru scanner which took longer and I had no help with 3 boys at scanner but that is another story. we had no problems at all at Disney, Universal or Sea World. she did use an ECV for all the parks. from what you have said her sounds like my daughter's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!