Weather In August

Je-Ree Olenik

Wish Upon A Star
hello,

we have our vacation booked first week of Aug 2019.

i know it will be HOT...but as far as hurricanes. what is it like?

thanks in advance

Hot is quite the correct word for the temperature...more like 3 heat lamps shining on you in a closed barn at 95 degrees. :furious: hahaha Just be prepared for several-times-a-day rain storms/showers and make good use of indoor shows/attractions with AC.

thanks all! i wanted to be in WDW for my bday and i was born aug 2 lol i'm sure this is the first and last time we will be visiting in August. first time was first week October, it rained everyday short spurts then last week in June after school was out now Aug. we have decided to make Disney our family vacation every two years. can wait to be there again!

It's not the heat. I live in Phoenix where 95F is a nice day to be outside. But at WDW in August its 95F and 90% humidity. The result is intense sweltering heat. Have gone in Aug-Early Oct many times. Not sure we'll be back in the hot months again. Do not like sweating all day. Plus it rains nearly every day for an hour or two.

We were there 2 years ago when hurricane Mathew hit. WDW is too far inland to sustain much damage from winds so I wouldn't worry about that. Parks closed at 5pm day before hurricane and were closed the next. We had to stay in our hotels the first night and much of the next day. Late afternoon they opened DS restaurants to Disney resort guests only so we could get something to eat. Most resort restaurants were closed.

While it was bad to be stuck in our hotel it did give us the ability to sleep in after days of getting up early to head to the parks. DS opening for the evening made the day much better.

This is less about hurricanes, since we didn’t have one, and more about the weather, generally.

It was hot. So hot! We wore 2 sets of clothes each day (one for morning touring and one for late afternoon/evening). Most days it rained at some point and we used our ponchos if we were in the park (some of us just decided to get wet and roll with it).

If more than a little rain was possible, we wore flip flops. It was fun. Two days were torrential (no hurricane, tho), and we gave up one afternoon and the other we waited in a covered area until it lightened enough to make a break for our fp ride.

Hats for all of us, every day.

We used cooling towels that I soaked whenever we took a bathroom break.

I also poured water on us several times.

In addition to drinking water a lot, a cold smoothie or shake helped, as well.

Hot yes, but super fun still. The only place that really was awful was Toy Story Land. The lack of shade was hard and was making us sick. We luckily found a table right next to the giant fan when getting a late breakfast at Woody’s and we ate and poured water over each other.

Time-wise, 3pm-nearly sunset was the worst, so we tried to stay in pools or relaxing in the room during that time.

I go mid to late August and HATE heat in general. That being said, August is hot and humid, but mostly very manageable.

We have gone late June, and that is absolutely brutal. Like being under a heat lamp, and the pool not even offering relief.

In terms of Hurricane's toward late August I think it could be an issue, but the bulk of the risk is September and October (obviously anything can happen at any time that's just my observation).

Overall, its a great month to visit!

We have very poor heat and humidity tolerance. But we decided to go this august. We survived!!! Lots of water and gatotarade, lots of breaks, mini fans, cooling towels. And cornstarch!!!!
Had a great trip.
Only bad day was at TSL-- there is no shade there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!