Weather in late September?

TikiTikiFan

DIS Veteran
I’m just so stoked that my trip has gone from ???? to !!!! in a matter of a day. I’m throwing myself into trip planning because it brings me joy.

We’re coming Sept. 25-Oct. 2nd which is a new time of year for us. Normally we always do August or December.

I’ve been looking at weather and I’m getting varied answers. Some trip planning websites say the average high is only in the high 70s while looking at averages on Weather websites says highs in the 80s.

What do you think we should plan for? Summer attire? And light layers brought along just in case? Hasn’t it gotten really hot in the past this time of year?

I’m just so stoked that my trip has gone from ???? to !!!! in a matter of a day. I’m throwing myself into trip planning because it brings me joy.

We’re coming Sept. 25-Oct. 2nd which is a new time of year for us. Normally we always do August or December.

I’ve been looking at weather and I’m getting varied answers. Some trip planning websites say the average high is only in the high 70s while looking at averages on Weather websites says highs in the 80s.

What do you think we should plan for? Summer attire? And light layers brought along just in case? Hasn’t it gotten really hot in the past this time of year?
From HydroGuy's treasure trove of information: "Detailed Weather Data for DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004158.
September can be pretty warm in SoCal. Layers will be your friend. Start checking the local weather forecasts about two weeks before your trip dates to get the most accurate info, just in case there is something to look out for in the forecast, e.g. major heat wave or a Santa Ana wind event.

Keep an eye on the weather - this it the time of year there could be a heat wave. Went one year last week of September and it was in the 90's. Other times it's been cooler but the most I need is a light jacket or sweatshirt.

Keep an eye on the weather - this it the time of year there could be a heat wave. Went one year last week of September and it was in the 90's. Other times it's been cooler but the most I need is a light jacket or sweatshirt.
Our weather has been odd the last few years. I remember when I was a kid and always wanted a pool party for my birthday but could never have one as it was too cold or raining and now its hot in september (I live in Northern CA but know what to expect in So. Ca). I agree with the other OP about watching the weather the week before as it could change since its so temperamental these days. In general its hot but you never know these days.

Like others have said, layers. During the days, it will be warm and when the sun goes down, for ME, it gets cold. (I am in AZ). You are going at a great time. I hope they will have Oogie Boogie Halloween Bash. Last year, the dates were on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, instead of of Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Wishing you a really fun trip.

Keep an eye on the wether reports. But usually it's pretty hot still. Night time you will need a light jacket. That is also when the Santa Ana winds pick up and there can be fires. So be mindful if you or your son are sensitive to poor air quality.

Safe to plan for hot weather then? Like shorts and tshirts?
Yes. I remember last year on the first day of the Halloween season I wore a sundress to the park (didn't arrive until 5pm) and it was still pretty warm. It got a little chilly, but not until like 9pm lol I tend to use spirit jerseys as my jacket in the summer and early fall at the parks.

It also matters where you are coming from. We are from New Jersey, and we were in Sacramento last Sept. for a wedding. While my California relatives would put on sweaters, my husband and I were super comfortable in summer clothes.
Sounds like me. Anything below 70 is chilly :)

I think the main poster is from Colorado? So for sure gets cold there. But I've seen people from cold climates underestimate the cold in Anaheim, so it's good to be prepared.

Sounds like me. Anything below 70 is chilly :)

I think the main poster is from Colorado? So for sure gets cold there. But I've seen people from cold climates underestimate the cold in Anaheim, so it's good to be prepared.
Same! I'm always freezing below 70. But I'm from the Sacramento Valley so I've acclimated to 100+ degree summers.

Last edited:
My last trip in October was sweltering heat, I wore waterproof shorts and a workout (thin, water wicking) t-shirt.

I would pack as if it were a summer day, but give your self options (like a pair of pants & sweater). Luckily, you'll probably generally know a week ahead what it will look like.

ETA: October is my favorite time in the park, mostly because it's cooler...which was completely obliterated when we experienced that heat I described above. The other time I went in October, it was a massive thunderstorm such that my flight had to be emergently diverted to another airport as the storm was tossing the plane around. @midnight star you'd appreciate this itinerary as a so-cal resident, but after we landed, the plane had to take off again and go from SNA->LGB. Shortest/lowest flight ever!​

Yes, we’re from Colorado! But if you don’t live in the mountains, our winters aren’t so bad. At least compared to WI where I lived for awhile!

It’s funny... you’d think all my years in WI would have made me tough but I think it traumatized my body temperature because I get cold super easy now.

I like the sound of hot days- that’s why I love our summer trips. But perhaps with masks I shouldn’t hope for that.... I’ll plan for summer attire but bring some backup options. I failed epically in December by not being prepared and ended up giving all my money to Disney for warm hats and all the sweatshirts. 😂

I failed epically in December by not being prepared and ended up giving all my money to Disney for warm hats and all the sweatshirts. 😂

Hey, at least you can use those again! Much better than spending $$$ on a flimsy plastic poncho after forgetting to bring a more robust rain jacket (never have I ever purchased one of those, FYI!)

Yes. I remember last year on the first day of the Halloween season I wore a sundress to the park (didn't arrive until 5pm) and it was still pretty warm. It got a little chilly, but not until like 9pm lol I tend to use spirit jerseys as my jacket in the summer and early fall at the parks.
I use the spirit jerseys as my jacket as well. I find sometimes it's even too warm from a light sweatshirt but the spirit jerseys add just enough warmth.

I have been a few times in late September, early oct. it has been very warm, like 85-105 both times. I would say maybe a light jacket for mornings but I don’t think we used them.

I use the spirit jerseys as my jacket as well. I find sometimes it's even too warm from a light sweatshirt but the spirit jerseys add just enough warmth.

So what you’re saying is I should probably buy myself another one..... 😆 Free shipping on Shop Disney today too and the temptation is strong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter