Webmaster Michelle..please help...

TChrist05

DIS Veteran
Michelle....nobody seems to be able to help me...we are going on the 11/30 Magic cruise....and we would like to do an excurision to St. John...but we are not beach people or water people for that matter....we just would like to see the island since we have heard it is beautiful....what excurision do you recommend and how did you like it if you did it...I posted a couple of days ago and nobody offered any advice.....Thanks for your help and anyone else who has gone there!
Tom
26 days to the "Magic"

and we would like to do an excurision to St. John...but we are not beach people or water people for that matter....we just would like to see the island since we have heard it is beautiful....what excurision do you recommend
I'm not Michelle, but would be happy to relate our experience with the St. John Island Tour from our June cruise. Dh was recovering from a triple bypass and had to be careful about swimming and exposing his chest scar to the sun, so we opted for the 5 hour St. John Island Tour and really enjoyed it. You travel from St. Thomas to St. John via the Island Girl along with about 70 other people headed to various other tours. Once on the island, you board the open air "safari" bus that takes you on a full tour of the island stopping at various overlooks for breath taking views. The roads are very twisted and winding and the drive reminded me a lot of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride :bounce: Our driver was very informative and answered all our questions. We also stopped mid way through at a smoothie stand and then again at the Annaberg ruins (old sugar plantation). Not much at the ruins other than great views. After the tour was over we had some time to kill before the trip back to St. Thomas, so we did some shopping and visited the Na'l Park headqtrs that was right at the ferry landing. We really enjoyed our day and I agree with others that St. John is not to be missed. Hope that helps and hope your cruise is a magical one:)

Thanks Ruth Ann, I think you have the perfect answer! :)

Tom, my experience with St. John excursions involved both water and a beach (the Champagne Catamaran Sail) so I wouldn't recommend that for you. I think Ruth Ann's suggestion is the only excursion that is primarily dedicated to touring the island and not beach time or snorkeling.

Good luck deciding! :)

I agree with Mickey4Me. We're not beach people and we thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful views on the "St. John Island Tour" last December.

Mickey4me - when you say the ride is like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is it bumpy or just winding roads? I have a bad neck and I don't do bumpy roads very well but winding roads wouldn't bother me. I wasn't going to go on any of the excursions because of this. But if it is a comfortable ride I would love to go. It sounds beautiful. Thanks for your help.

I wasn't going to go on any of the excursions because of this. But if it is a comfortable ride I would love to go.
My recollection is that the roads were more winding than bumpy. They are all paved, but very narrow. I think a lot of it depends on your driver and how fast they choose to go. DH is not a big fan of riding in vehicles he's not in control of (ie planes) and it made him a little nervous because we were so close to the edge of the mtn. The "safari buses" were not much more than large pickup trucks with wooden bench seats across the back (no cushions) and a canopy. Not like regular tour buses/vans. Just mention to your driver that you need as smooth a ride as possible. I have some pics of St. John that I took during the tour posted on webshots. Click on the DISNEY CRUISE 2002 album and you can get an idea of the different elevations the tour takes you on. Hope that helps..... :) My Webshots Albums

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter