wedding guest etiquette question

Is a white blouse appropriate wedding attire?

• Yes

Votes: 50 70.4%
  • no

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • maybe

Votes: 10 14.1%

• Total voters

MrsCobraBubbles

Life's too short to wear pants all the time
I have another wedding to go to, this one is a more informal, fire hall wedding. I don't want to go out and buy a new outfit and I was wondering whether I could wear a top I bought on Amazon a while back, I've never worn it because I never had anywhere to wear it. It's a delicate gauzy material so I can't wear it to work, it would be ruined, and I never dress up to hang out with friends. This is the shirt:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMXPVPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
it says it is white but it's actually more of a cream color in person. Anyway, is it ok for a woman to wear a white shirt to a wedding? I feel like it's ok because it's a blouse, not a dress. I was thinking about wearing the shirt with a black maxi skirt or black dress pants.

It's fine. Not sure why it matters where you bought it, though. It's a nice top.
I don't know, I guess I have guilt about not spending a fortune on clothes for a wedding? I like it too, it looks cute on.

I personally wouldn't wear that color to someone else's wedding. My aunt wore a white jacket to my wedding and I'm still a little irritated about it. Unless you possibly know that the bride isn't wearing white/ivory.

Really? I can’t understand why anyone would be bothered by this.

One of my best friend’s mother wore a wedding-looking dress (off white with full skirt/train) to her wedding. She actually changed into it right at the last minute and walked down the “aisle” (outdoor wedding) right before my friend. That was certainly ridiculous and a very obvious “desperate for attention” move. But a white jacket or shirt I can’t see any issue with.

Really? I can’t understand why anyone would be bothered by this.

One of my best friend’s mother wore a wedding-looking dress (off white with full skirt/train) to her wedding. She actually changed into it right at the last minute and walked down the “aisle” (outdoor wedding) right before my friend. That was certainly ridiculous and a very obvious “desperate for attention” move. But a white jacket or shirt I can’t see any issue with.
:laughing: Crazy story but a far-cry from the nice, simple blouse @MrsCobraBubbles is considering.

I think the blouse is just fine but I do agree white top/black bottoms is a little "uniform-y". Maybe do it with another colour pant or a skirt in floral print with a little bit of white to pick up? Either way, I like that shirt and I love the price!

I don't know, I guess I have guilt about not spending a fortune on clothes for a wedding? I like it too, it looks cute on.

Don't beat yourself up about not spending a lot of $$$. Be happy you found such a deal, and let your friends wonder where you got it.

Sunday I wore a gauzy floral jacket over a long black dress and a friend asked if I'd bought it at one of the exotic places I'd been. I told her no, that I'd found it online and asked if she considered that exotic. We laughed about it. I didn't tell her what I'd paid for it. (That's on a need-to-know-basis, so even DH doesn't know -- and doesn't care.)

Until I started reading the Dis Boards and "JustnoMIL" on Reddit, I had no idea that people got so upset with other guests wearing anything white to their wedding. Honestly, I couldn't tell you what anyone had one at my wedding other than me and the bridesmaids.

I wore a cute white dress with a green sweater over it to a wedding about 4 or 5 years ago and thought nothing of it. Now that I realize what I faux pas I made, I feel terrible that I wore it and hope that my friend wasn't talking bad about me to other people for having worn it.

Until I started reading the Dis Boards and "JustnoMIL" on Reddit, I had no idea that people got so upset with other guests wearing anything white to their wedding. Honestly, I couldn't tell you what anyone had one at my wedding other than me and the bridesmaids.

I wore a cute white dress with a green sweater over it to a wedding about 4 or 5 years ago and thought nothing of it. Now that I realize what I faux pas I made, I feel terrible that I wore it and hope that my friend wasn't talking bad about me to other people for having worn it.

I didn’t know either! 20 years ago I wore an off white dress to my nieces wedding. She is divorced and very happily remarried and I still want to apologize to her when I think about it!

Team it with nice shoes and bag and a fab bold necklace so that you don't clash with servers and you'll look great. I know that brides can be huffy about white/ cream dresses but not tops.

The best deal I ever found for a wedding was in Salvation Army. My DD needed clothing to wear in SDak and then leave at the reservation. I didn't want her taking her favorite things to leave behind, so I shopped Sally's. They had a formal dress rack, so I looked at it, not expecting anything much. I found a gorgeous sheath dress that was all sparkly. It was $10. I bragged to everyone at this family wedding about the deal I got. I'm thinking about wearing it to my class reunion in November, but after seeing your blouse, OP, I may change my mind.

On another occasion, I was looking for something in Sally's. Again, formal dress rack... I found a beaded gown from Talbot's for $10. I bought it, but haven't had the opportunity to wear it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter