wedding guest etiquette question

Is a white blouse appropriate wedding attire?

• Yes

Votes: 50 70.4%
  • no

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • maybe

Votes: 10 14.1%

• Total voters
I don't see the problem with the blouse. Of course I don't see the problem with wearing a white jacket to a wedding either.

IMO overstepping the line would be to wear a look that is clearly attempting to mimic a bridal look. It's nowhere near bridezilla territory for a bride to expect it's absolutely her moment alone to look like the bride on her wedding day.

I think the style is fine for a wedding, but I personally would not wear white with black pants. I know I wouldn't really be confused with the wait staff, but I'd still look like them.

I agree with most. I don't think the rule is "you can't wear any white at all," it's "don't wear anything that could be mistaken for a wedding dress."

I think the white blouse is totally fine.

I have another wedding to go to, this one is a more informal, fire hall wedding. I don't want to go out and buy a new outfit and I was wondering whether I could wear a top I bought on Amazon a while back, I've never worn it because I never had anywhere to wear it. It's a delicate gauzy material so I can't wear it to work, it would be ruined, and I never dress up to hang out with friends. This is the shirt:
View attachment 436489
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMXPVPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
it says it is white but it's actually more of a cream color in person. Anyway, is it ok for a woman to wear a white shirt to a wedding? I feel like it's ok because it's a blouse, not a dress. I was thinking about wearing the shirt with a black maxi skirt or black dress pants.

For my daughter's friend's wedding, I wore a white tank top, with a black floral patterned skirt, and a black floral cardigan, that matched the skirt.

The problem I have is that you don't know what the bride is wearing. "mistaken for a wedding dress" is a big category if the bride isn't wearing a "typical" wedding dress. My new husband's sister wore a white suit to my wedding and I definitely noticed. Mainly because I had almost chosen a suit style dress (It was a thing at the time, available in bridal shops, usually with older brides) that was off white and hers was stark white. It was winter and she would have been whiter than me, which seems odd to me. I changed my mind and wore a long white bridal gown so she was off the hook, but she had no idea we were almost so similar. I had a really laid back wedding and don't think anyone could call me a bridezilla. I'm not a clothes person and rarely notice what people wear, but I noticed that. (I think the only place I have ever commented to ANYONE is here on the DIS though.)

OP, if you have some sort of scarf or throw to add some color up top I think it would be fine.

Last edited:

The problem I have is that you don't know what the bride is wearing. "mistaken for a wedding dress" is a big category if the bride isn't wearing a "typical" wedding dress. My new husband's sister wore a white suit to my wedding and I definitely noticed. Mainly because I had almost chosen a suit style dress (It was a thing at the time, available in bridal shops, usually with older brides) that was off white and hers was stark white. It was winter and she would have been whiter than me, which seems odd to me. I changed my mind and wore a long white bridal gown so she was off the hook, but she had no idea we were almost so similar. I had a really laid back wedding and don't think anyone could call me a bridezilla. I'm not a clothes person and rarely notice what people wear, but I noticed that. (I think the only place I have ever commented to ANYONE is here on the DIS though.)

OP, if you have some sort of scarf or throw to add some color up top I think it would be fine.
Maybe I should have said "don't wear something that could be mistaken for the bride's attire." I would say wearing head-to-toe white is probably a faux pas, whether it's a dress or a pant suit. But wearing a white blouse, or jacket, or skirt is probably fine as long as white is not the overwhelming color of your outfit.

Maybe I should have said "don't wear something that could be mistaken for the bride's attire." I would say wearing head-to-toe white is probably a faux pas, whether it's a dress or a pant suit. But wearing a white blouse, or jacket, or skirt is probably fine as long as white is not the overwhelming color of your outfit.

I wasn't referring to pant suits. ??? I was saying thinking white is okay because it's not bridal style still might not differentiate you from the bride.

Obviously not all brides even choose to wear white or off white, but it's kind of a general rule not to look more bridal than the bride. Since you don't know what the bride is wearing, avoiding plain white is a way to do that. The blouse OP showed is lovely, but if she has a closeup with the bride it will show as white. Bride could have a v neck and look similar. My point is was that I have no big fashion sense or bridezilla instincts and I noticed. It wasn't a big deal and I would never say anything short of these kind of anonymous conversations because I have no interest in fashion whatsoever, but I noticed.

Last edited:
I wore a white linen sheath dress with dark brown wood beading to a wedding once however the bride was not wearing white.
Never been to a wedding where I wore pants but that's probably because I'm more comfortable in dresses and skirts.

Given the setting the OP has described I'm sure the white blouse she's chosen will be fine.

I have another wedding to go to, this one is a more informal, fire hall wedding. I don't want to go out and buy a new outfit and I was wondering whether I could wear a top I bought on Amazon a while back, I've never worn it because I never had anywhere to wear it. It's a delicate gauzy material so I can't wear it to work, it would be ruined, and I never dress up to hang out with friends. This is the shirt:
View attachment 436489
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMXPVPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
it says it is white but it's actually more of a cream color in person. Anyway, is it ok for a woman to wear a white shirt to a wedding? I feel like it's ok because it's a blouse, not a dress. I was thinking about wearing the shirt with a black maxi skirt or black dress pants.

Some white is fine as long as it isn't all white. Ie wear pants or something that aren't white.

I wasn't referring to pant suits. ??? I was saying thinking white is okay because it's not bridal style still might not differentiate you from the bride.

Obviously not all brides even choose to wear white or off white, but it's kind of a general rule not to look more bridal than the bride. Since you don't know what the bride is wearing, avoiding plain white is a way to do that. The blouse OP showed is lovely, but if she has a closeup with the bride it will show as white. Bride could have a v neck and look similar. My point is was that I have no big fashion sense or bridezilla instincts and I noticed. It wasn't a big deal and I would never say anything short of these kind of anonymous conversations because I have no interest in fashion whatsoever, but I noticed.
Then people notice the most mundane things and attribute them to something they aren't.

*edited-corrected word*

Last edited:
Bad news about the blouse--I tried it on and it's too tight in the tummy because my stomach is swollen and distended from the endo right now :( but I think it's cute and it's cheap so I ordered it in a larger size, in the beige and pink colors so I definitely won't be making a faux pas. Thank goodness for prime shipping!

View attachment 436489
That’s a pretty top! I’d probably wear it with the skirt and a pretty necklace. Have fun!

:rolleyes: Right fight all you want.
The OP asked the question because she wanted to know what people would think.
lol ok..wasn't talking about the OP, was talking about your comment but nice evasion of my comment- no need for a fight at all my goodness you apparently cannot have a conversation without thinking someone is out to get you. I'll remember that for the future :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!