Wedding Proposals

snowball22

<font color=teal>Lovin' Disney<br><font color=red>
Attention all Prince Charmings, how did you propose at WDW and what was your Princess's reaction?:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I proposed in front of the castle just after the fireworks started. This is a long story, so you might want to go get a bite, if you're hungry.
It had been a hectic day, and an end to a hectic journey. It all started with our previous trip to WDW, when we were just dating. We saw a couple get engaged during E-Night in front of the castle, and she (Cathy), now my dear finance told me her dream was to get engaged there too. "Note to self, girl has dream, don't forget" So when I decided it was time to pop the question, I planned a trip to WDW. Fast forward to the day we are going.....
I had the ring in my pocket on the way to the airport, I had a freak out earlier in the week, wondering if it was going to set off the alarm as you go through the metal detector, so I called the airline, the airport, and the manufacturer of the detector to make sure this wouldn't happen, which they assured me it would not. I mean what kind of surprise engagement would it have been if I had to take the ring out in the airport. Here's what I imagined:
"Excuse me sir, you'll have to empty your pockets"
"Um, well, um, I really can't do that"
"Honey, what's going on?"
"nothing dear, you just keep walking"
"SIR! (with the wand waving on my pocket bells and whistles going off, security teams calling for and receiving backup) you need to empty your pockets!",
"Um, well, um, I can't"
Can you just see me asking her to marry me as I'm in a headlock and the security guard is pulling the ring from my pocket??
Anyway, the flight is overbooked, and the airline really offered some good stuff, like $1,000 each in airline money. Normally, we'd jump all over this, but it was like a 9am flight out of LaGuardia in NYC, the next flight would have been 4pm from Long Island. Now I had big plans that included a certain castle, and some fireworks, and a ring, and I couldn't be getting there at 9 at night. So I managed to get my dear girlfriend (hee hee that sounds funny since we're going to be married 3 weeks from today) to stay on the plane and we arrived to go to our lovely hotel. Now her mom had very generously helped pay for the trip, and we were able to stay at the Boardwalk instead of Dixie Landings like I had told her, but she thought I had just gotten some sort of upgrade, I pretty good at that, so she wasn't aware that the trip was a "special one" yet. I think we kinda just kicked around the Boardwalk that day, and then it was time for the MK. This is when it gets surreal. I mean this was months in the works, months! And now the "moment" is rapidly approaching. She says at about 8:00 (fireworks at 9) "I don't think I wanna go to the MK tonight." "WHAT!!!" This is not in my itinerary!! Quick brain, do your stuff!! After some gentle persuading, including, it's our first night on vacation, why don't you ear something nice, it's off to the MK!
Getting REALLY surreal at this point. I have the ring in my back pocket, and I'm holding her hand to make sure it doesn't "accidentally" drift down to my pocket and find the ring. I mean, after surviving the airport, can I really ask her to marry me as we wait for the Monorail because she had to give my tush a little squeeze?, my final destination a mere 4 stops away! I think not! SO we finally get there, FINALLY!! And we head towards the castle, and the fireworks are about to start.
OK, lets take a step back, anyone who is engaged, will know this story is only a scratch on the surface of all the planning that went into this, and the level of paranoia that had developed in my mind hoping she didn't figure it out. And now, after months and months of planning and scheming the moment has finally arrived, so this is as surreal as surreal gets. I have since noticed that there are times in life where time seems to slow, like while you're being followed by a cop, and even though you're not speeding or anything, you freak out, and the long walk to your bosses office when you're late for the 4th day in a row, even though it's not about that.
This was one of those moments, but I wondered where had all the time gone, all the months of planning were now gone, and it was show time.
Well the fireworks started, time slowed, one went off, two, sloower, and then I did it. I got down on one knee, (said some nice things that are for her and I to know) and then said "will you marry me?"
The first words out of her mouth........
"No Way!"
But not in a "no way, never in a million years will I marry you", but in a "holy crap I can't believe this is happening to me", then she said yes, then I put the ring on (then time went back to normal, the weight of the world lifted and I started breathing again). Now I don't know about anyone else, but being a boy growing up, I always thought asking a girl to marry you was a real question, one that you might not get the answer your looking for. This is a big lie, perpetrated on us men by I don't know who, for reasons known only to them (and their black helicopters). It's not really a question that is going to be answered "no", but it's a question that's gonna change everything. Your life as you knew it is over, "bye bye!" And not in a bad way, but from that moment on, it's all different. I say this because I never really had a forum to voice my opinions on getting engaged and what a big scam it is thinking she might say no. Because if you don't know what the answer is going to be, you'd better not ask the question.
Well, after that, we got a round of applause form the people around us, and she jumped up and down, and she cried, and I cried (only a little) and we went back to call her parents and my parents (who were in on it). There was a nice bottle of champagne waiting in our room when we got there, and a card from the Boardwalk staff congratulating us.
Well, that's it, except to say I'm getting married 3 weeks from today, and honeymooning in WDW for 2 1/2 weeks. I'll write about that when I return.

Thanks so much for sharing that with us. What an incredibly romantic story! I do hope you let Cathy read this. It is very touching and I'm sure whe would love to read about all your emotions that went into this. What a great guy!!!

Congratulations!!!

This is from my fiance's trip report on how I asked her to marry me:

Day 2
and more suprises to follow...

The next morning came bright and early. Steve woke up and said he was going to take a walk. Ok great for me an extra hour of sleep. Once he got back he said I had to get up and go with him. He was right. It was a beautiful & peaceful morning. Not many people out, just the ducks. During our walk he had told me that a friend of his from work had a brick placed a while back and we needed to take a picture of it for him. He handed me a map and off we went. It was in front of TTC. After searching and searching the brick you see is the one I found. It was a total shock & surprise. By the time I looked at him he was down on one knee with the most beautiful ring I had ever seen in his hand. With the video camera laying on the bench next to where I had to sit down, you hear him say "Will you marry me?" In between tears and trying to catch my breath, I said YES!!!

click below to see brick.

http://www.geocities.com/Tarables/brick3.jpg

I had planned it for 9 months and had the ring specially made.

Steve

So Steve, you can corroborate the "surrealism" of the moment, when you had planned for months, and months, and then it was finally happening...

I blocked everything out but Tara. I have it all on video tape and the music at the TTC was "when you wish upon a star". I remember having nightmares about the ring setting off the metal detector in the airport.

Steve

What great and romantic stories! I would love a WDW proposal, but I think that's financially out of the question, particularly considering the ring I want LOL! :D We'll have to wait and see how my boyfriend proposes--we're hoping to get engaged sometime between Christmas and Valentine's Day.

Supamaki,
Boy that story sounds familair!! My hubby also proposed to me in front of the castle. He also took the ring on the plane, but had it in his carry on! So when we got our seats we were in the bulk head seats & the flight attendant went to take our carry ons, he freaked!!! Me not knowing what was in "that bag" I looked at him like he was crazy, so did my mom who was with us. I was mad at him the whole flight because he snapped at the flight attendant who was just doing her job! Well, happily ever after I now know why!
BTW, I was in shock, couldn't even remember most of it, but started planning a FTW the next day & it was awesome

I loved reading your story, Supamaki! I'm sure that Cathy was absolutely thrilled! And I really enjoyed reading your "man's perspective" on the engagement experience! I will forward this thread to my fiance and perhaps he'll add his commentary! I'm sure that your fiancee really appreciated all of the planning that went into making your perfect proposal and her dream come true! And lots of good luck and happiness to you both! Please post your wedding photos, if you have a chance!

I have been "following" Mr. and Mrs. Tikiman's engagement and wedding since I first found his amazing web site! I loved reading your engagement story again! Hope that all is well with both of you newlyweds! And can't wait to see your honeymoon photos!

And I loved reading your story, CPM! Belated congratulations to you! What these gentlemen go through to get the ring on the plane! I was also engaged at WDW (last month) and my fiance had my ring wrapped in a tissue in his waist-pack. Fortunately, there were no airport security issues!

As my fiance is still searching for the right "DIS Name" to use before making his "debut" on The DIS Boards, here is our story:

It was our first night at WDW, on June 3rd. We had been up since 3:00 AM that morning, as we left for the airport at 5:00 AM, so we were both pretty exhausted and silly by that point. As it turned out, everything went perfectly that day - our flight time had changed (and no one had told us!) - it wound up being 1/2 hour earlier than originally scheduled, but we made the flight and got to Orlando early. I figured that we would have to wait at least an hour for the Mears shuttle to take us to the Poly....but one was waiting for us the second that we got to the shuttle area! Then we arrived at the Poly at 11:30 AM - I was sure that our room wouldn't be ready for hours....but it was ready! Then we went to the Kona Cafe for lunch. We hoped that we would find our favorite waiter, Kevin, there, as we had had some great conversations with him last year at the Kona Cafe. But we thought that he probably wouldn't still be working there....but he was, and we were seated in his section! He gave us a great welcome and we really felt like we were "home". Next, we went to the MK and there were virtually no lines for all of our favorite attractions! We went back to the Poly in the late afternoon, and there was a huge thunderstorm. But as soon as it ended, this huge, beautiful rainbow came out - you could see the entire arch of the rainbow and everything! We then had a great dinner at 'Ohana and went back to our room to relax. I immediately jumped on our lap top to begin uploading the pictures which we had taken that day into our photo albums, and there was a knock at the door. Frank answered the door as I struggled to get an internet connection, and I heard him whispering something to someone. A room service waiter, Raul, came in carrying a tray with roses, champagne, strawberries, place settings, and a card. He was very nice and we chatted with him for awhile, as he set everything up. At that point, I guess I had an idea that something was up, but I thought that perhaps Frank had just wanted our first night to be special, and had ordered everything ahead of time. When Raul left, Frank handed me the card which said "When You Wish Upon a Star", and told me that we were celebrating. Then he asked "do you want to know what we're celebrating?" And he got down on his knee and popped the question! I was so delirious and exhausted by that point that I almost thought that I was dreaming or hallucinating! But I wasn't! I later found out that the goodies which had been sent to our room were actually a surprise planned for both of us by Frank's sister, who had known that he was planning to propose that night. So, it was a perfect day and evening and the beginning of what turned out to be a perfect vacation! Our "Keys to the Kingdom" Tour Guide, Brad, even gave us bride and groom mouse ear hats, when we took the tour, later in the week!

I do have some pictures taken a few moments after Frank proposed, if you'd like to see (none of me, though - I looked like a mess! Then again, I always look like a mess!) They are in the "When You Wish Upon a Star" album at our photo album site:

http://photos.yahoo.com/lisaandfrankdisney2001

I wish that we could get married at WDW - we saw 3 weddings from afar, when we were there - all with the bride arriving in Cinderella's coach drawn by a team of white horses and footmen in formal clothing! But we will have a small wedding up here, since it would be difficult for some of our relatives who are not well to travel to Florida. But we will definitely spend our honeymoon at the Poly - we are going to try to reserve the same room in which we were engaged!

My husband to be (at the time) had been acting strange the entire trip - nervous and anxious and I was frankly getting a bit irritated with it - we were at Disney for goodness sakes - relax and enjoy! But on our last night there we went to the MK for fireworks and he wanted to sit in the little park area in front of the castle where the Partners Statue is. We kept sitting and sitting and the park was closing - I couldn't figure out what was going on. A family was having a ball next to us taking picture after picture at the statue in front of the castle - they must have used 2 roles of film - and we just sat there.

Finally they left and DR, said - "oh...I dropped my lighter" (he doesn't smoke anymore) and got down on the ground like he was looking for it - I tried to look too when I realized that he was down on one knee and then he asked me to marry him.

That is now our favorite spot to sit and relax at MK.

Supamaki.............that was such a beautiful proposal. I like the way you tell your story......you are quite funny! It's so sweet to know how guys think sometimes........it's like you let us get into your head about your planning adn nervousness :) My dream also is that someday I can have a special moment like that in WDW......someday :) My sweetheart is pretty smart and creative so I'm sure He'll have something nice planned out. Thanks again for sharing and good luck with the wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BY the way.........what resort are you honeymooning at???

Tikiman............Wow..........that is beautiful. I love that idea......your brick is beautiful and It'll be nice to go back and visit it. Great idea:)

Yikes, I can't believe it's in 11 days! We're staying at The Yacht Club, and the Poly!
Thanks for the nice sentiments, and warm wishes!

My prince proposed to me at the princess breakfast, since I am his princess. It was so romantic and a complete surprise I had no idea he was even looking at rings. We were seated right by the window over looking Fantasyland and hal way through our breakfast a glass slipper appeared with the ring in the middle.
He got down on one knee and of course I said yes.
The entire restaurant started applauding and the lady at the next table was crying. It was amzing. The Disney proposal was even more special for us because we met at WDW in 1997 when we worked in the Canada pavillon.
It was a very magical moment. Then all the characters, Belle, Cinderella etc, came over to greet and congratulate us, that was a little sureal.

I loved reading your story, Dsneygirl! What a wonderful and special way for your fiance to propose to you - especially since you both met at WDW! I'm sure that it was a moment that you will never forget! :)

Thanks IASW Rider, he actually tells the story much better, because he had been planning for months and I was completely clueless. We'll be back at Cindy's breakfast on Sept. 6, 3 days after the one year anniversary of our proposal.

My boyfriend (at the time) and I went on our first trip to WDW in November of 1996. When we were at the airport, they asked to look in his carry on and he got very nervous. I wanted to wait with him while he opened his bag, but he insisted that I go on ahead to the gate.

He was nervous for most of the trip, and made frequent visits at what was then Dixie Landings to the "arcade."

On our last night, we had dinner at Victoria and Albert's. Just before the dessert course, our Victoria brought a vase of a dozen roses to our table. I just figured that it was part of the service. Then, a covered silver paltter was placed in front of me. I was totally surprised when the cover was removed to reveal a beautiful diamond ring rather than the blueberry souffle I expected. The ring was placed into a crystal slipper which was engraved "Will you marry me?" The slipper was surropunded by rose petals. Stan got down on one knee and said the most wonderful things, but unfortunately, I don't remember them at all. I said yes,a nd everyone in the room was excited for us.

It turns out that he had hidden the ring in a hollowed out book in his carry-on, and they wanted to see what he was smuggling in there.

His trips to the "arcade" were actually to the safety deposit box where my ring stayed until the last night of the trip.

He had madce arrangements for the flowers and the crystal slipper one day earlier in the trip when we palyed our "shopping game." We separated for one hour and had to buy a $20 gift for the other person. He made all of those arrangements *and* bought me a nightshirt.

--Kathy

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Our first child is due on the 5th anniversary of the day he proposed.

He had

Have a wonderful time on your trip, Dsneygirl! That's so neat that you will be at Cindy's breakfast so close to the anniversary of your engagement! We planned our honeymoon that way, too - our honeymoon will begin at the Poly exactly one year to the day from the day on which my DF proposed to me at the Poly, this year!

That is such a wonderful story, KathyK! I have never been to Victoria and Albert's before, but I understand that it is just beautiful and a really romantic place for a proposal! I'm sure that you were really thrilled and surprised!

I love hearing these stories! Any more out there???? :)

Our Story

We got married 10 years ago and went to Disney World for the first time with our daughter 4 years later. She was only 3 and doesn't remember very much so I've wanted to take her back ever since. Being self employed it's hard to get away for long, so when we do take "real" vacations we try to make up for it. We stayed at the Grand Floridian and had a beautiful lagoon view room and even got a suite for the last 2 nights. We went out every day to the parks and got a babysitter almost every night and went to all the great restaurants and to the clubs at night. (We were younger then) Needless to say it was the best vacation we were ever on and it cost a forune, but well worth it!

Shortly after we returned home and got back into reality.... our daughter got sick. We thought she had the flu, but it turned out to be much worse, she had a rare form of cancer. I'll never forget my wife and I sitting in the hospital and the doctor saying those words, and as I felt my knees weaken and my heart jump into my throat, the doctor saying "but it's a treatable form".

The next few years are somewhat blurred in my memory, but the end result is that our daughter is cancer free, in perfect health, and has been for over 5 years now. However the trauma of that ordeal and the uncertainty of the first couple of years that followed put a tremendous strain on our lives and relationship, and we got divorced.

But we couldn't stay apart for long. Eventually we started "dating" and it was just like we were starting over again with a clean slate. Now we are all together again and very happy, but we are still divorced!

It's as though we've come full circle since that wonderful trip almost 7 years ago, so I thought, "time to return" and PROPOSE!

We're going this month for 8 days at the Grand Floridian in a Lodge Tower Room. I'm having a custom engagement ring made using the "stones" from the first ring but set in platinum, which of course she doesn't know! :) I'm also getting our daughter a little gold Mickey ring (they didn't have a Minnie) for the "big occasion".

I've reserved the Rose Garden off to the side of Cinderella's Castle for one of the few nights in September that there are fireworks. When we check in we will receive a personalized invitation as a "randomly selected" guest to attend a private party in the Rose Garden to view the fireworks. We'll arrive 10 minutes or so before the show to find a table set up with Sparkling Cider on ice, a silver platter of chocolate truffles, and a dozen red roses. I think by this time they'll both think something's up:D

Then right before the fireworks start I'll propose and slip the rings on my girls' fingers. Geez... I hope they'll say yes.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter