Week of December 8

Nikkimouse44

Mouseketeer
What is the likelihood of 3 studios opening up at any resort (not SSR that’s our home resort) that week?

Trying to plan to switch at the 7 month mark, for Dec 8-14 and need 3 studios but unsure if that’s going to even be feasible or should I just get that thought out of my head.

I figured that week wouldn’t be busy/popular but maybe I’m wrong?

Oh boy, I think you’re looking at a bit of a long shot for most resorts. The first 2 weeks of December are some of the most popular with DVC folks (low point charts/xmas decorations/between Sorcerer Pass blockout dates). I think maybe AKL and OKW are more probable, but 3 studios is definitely a bit harder.

We were at OKW this past December and we actually loved it so that could be a nice change, if nothing else!

Agree it could be tough, and that OKW and AKL (probably Kidani) are your best bet - most likely savanna view rooms at Kidani because the points are higher.... I don't think you need to 'get it out of your head'!

Oh boy, I think you’re looking at a bit of a long shot for most resorts. The first 2 weeks of December are some of the most popular with DVC folks (low point charts/xmas decorations/between Sorcerer Pass blockout dates). I think maybe AKL and OKW are more probable, but 3 studios is definitely a bit harder.

We were at OKW this past December and we actually loved it so that could be a nice change, if nothing else!
Agree it could be tough, and that OKW and AKL (probably Kidani) are your best bet - most likely savanna view rooms at Kidani because the points are higher.... I don't think you need to 'get it out of your head'!

AKL Jambo Savanna (first) and kidani (second) and OKW (third) we’re my top picks and then staying with our current SSR studio was the fourth pick in the order I had after the research I did over the weekend

With only being able to have two waitlists im
Worried because it’s all or nothing, we don’t want to split up

AKL Jambo Savanna (first) and kidani (second) and OKW (third) we’re my top picks and then staying with our current SSR studio was the fourth pick in the order I had after the research I did over the weekend

Don't give up on Jambo! I mentioned Kidani as more likely because there are so many more DVC studios there. Jambo is more limited.

It’s all a fun risky little game haha but I think you’ll have a decent shot at those 3 (agreed that Kidani and OKW have a better chance)! People’s plans change a lot as we get closer to those dates so you’ll find a lot of movement around the 7 month mark, of course, and again 2-3 months out (not a lot of consecutive dates mind you, but plenty of single off days show up!)

AKV is one of my home resorts & we often go over the holidays, & always stay at Jambo - the lobby w/ the soaring Christmas tree is stunning, Kidani’s lobby, while nice doesn’t compare.
That said, most folks don’t realize just how few villas there are in Jambo - not including the always booked handful of club/value villas in Jambo there are only 105 standard & savanna view studios in Jambo, compare that number w/ BC - 110 studios, BLT - 147, Kidani - 169, OKW - 230, BWV - 245, Poly - 360, & SSR - 432.
There are things like proximity to parks & point costs that skew demand, VGF now has 202 resort studios + 47 deluxe studios, for example. But based on numbers alone I’d also keep an eye on the Poly especially if the new tower is open & part of Poly1 & there’s declared inventory not yet sold.
I think getting 3 studios for a week long stay at 7 months for the second week of December anywhere will be very tough, take a look at historical 7 month trends on these charts \https://www.dvcfieldguide.com/availability-tables not even SSR has a full week open at 7 months for week 50.
I’d be afraid that even if I saw availability elsewhere right at 8 AM on May 8 in the couple of minutes it took to book my first studio there would no longer be availability when I tried to book my second or third studio & then when I circled back & tried to rebook the SSR studio that I’d just given up for the new resort, it too would be gone. But, being risk averse, I always book that week at 11 months at one of my home resorts & don’t try to switch at 7 months, so I don’t know what the 7 month shuffle for week 50 is really like.

Unrelated but if I have a waitlist - should I keep checking for availability or does it automatically get assigned? And where should I check? DVC directly? I’ve been looking I think at a third party availability calendar for DVC through a rental site that gives all the resorts when I plug in my dates

Not that I’d base my plans on this but on the off chance the Poly Tower opens by the end of the year, I think there will probably be a lot of members who will try to move over to the tower, likely opening up some availability across most resorts.

Last edited:
Unrelated but if I have a waitlist - should I keep checking for availability or does it automatically get assigned? And where should I check? DVC directly? I’ve been looking I think at a third party availability calendar for DVC through a rental site that gives all the resorts when I plug in my dates
It will get automatically assigned if all your dates open up and you’re the next “in queue” for the waitlist. But I’d check regularly anyway because some have said they’ve noticed availability before the WL came through and they were able to grab the nights themselves. Also, you can grab single nights if they open up and eventually join them together once you get all your nights. I’m doing that with CCV right now. And yes, check the DVC search portal directly. I’m assuming you’re going to have to wait until the 7mo availability opens so no need to check often right now.

Not that I’d base my plans on this but on the off chance the Poly Tower opens by the end of the year I think there will probably be a lot of members who will try to move over to the tower, likely opening up some availability across most resorts.
Honestly I think the safest bet is for us to stay at SSR - unless I know we can get 3 rooms. Like mentioned above if we move one room by the time we finish and go to move room two and three those might already be gone and we would be screwed. If I see anything available I might call MS and see if there are 3 rooms and see if they can do anything to “hold the rooms” when they switch them over (doubtful) but I don’t want to end up with 1 or 2 rooms in one resort and the other room(s) at SSR.

It will get automatically assigned if all your dates open up and you’re the next “in queue” for the waitlist. But I’d check regularly anyway because some have said they’ve noticed availability before the WL came through and they were able to grab the nights themselves. Also, you can grab single nights if they open up and eventually join them together once you get all your nights. I’m doing that with CCV right now. And yes, check the DVC search portal directly. I’m assuming you’re going to have to wait until the 7mo availability opens so no need to check often right now.
I have one date waitlisted for may I am waiting on! What is the DVC search portal??

Honestly I think the safest bet is for us to stay at SSR - unless I know we can get 3 rooms. Like mentioned above if we move one room by the time we finish and go to move room two and three those might already be gone and we would be screwed. If I see anything available I might call MS and see if there are 3 rooms and see if they can do anything to “hold the rooms” when they switch them over (doubtful) but I don’t want to end up with 1 or 2 rooms in one resort and the other room(s) at SSR.
Moving three will be very hard unless you have to move to a very unpopular room category while on the phone with DVC booking one room and you booking others. I would either rent points or stay put but if trying to pull this off I would be on the phone and hoping they can help some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter