Week of October 8-9

KHuntress

<font color=CC99CC>Has terrible Tag envy!!!<br><fo
We arrive in the world the evening of October 8. Since that is

* the official opening week of Mickey's Philharmagic in MK
* the official opening week of Mission Space in Epcot
* Columbus Day weekend
* a weekend with MNSSHP

What impact should all of this have on traffic patterns?

How would you alter your traditional plans to:
1. Get to enjoy as many attractions as possible -- including the two new ones
2. Take advantage of as many special events as possible?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I've never been to WDW during October. I'm sure some of our veterans will have some advice for you though. I'll just bump this back to page one for you.

Katholyn

I've been there the first week of October 2001, which was also the first week of 100 Years of Magic, and I LOVED being there. Now of course, this was only 20 days after 9/11/01, so that would probably explain why so few people were there (we were able to take pictues at each of the World Showcase countries with absolutely ZERO other guests in the pictures. It took us no more than 2 hours to do all we wanted to in World Showcase, and we left Epcot by 2.)

Anyway, I also planned another visit for last year during the same week you describe, and I asked a lot of questions on what to expect. I was told that it's a wonderful time to be there, crowd-wise, other than Columbus Day weekend itself. Weekends are always busier, due to locals touring, and Columbus Day is one of the first local weekdays that everyone has off since school started. That day can be pretty packed, but it settles down again afterward.

Of course no one knows for sure how attendance will be affected by the Fairytale Package, but I suspect it will still be very manageable at that time of year.

Also, Mission:Space opens on August 15th, and it's already previewing often, so I wouldn't expect that to affect your week very much. And Philharmagic, though it does open 10/8 or so, actually is slated for a soft opening earlier than that, so I doubt it will cram a lot of extras into your specific week.

As for MNSSHP, that's often more popular as you get closer to Halloween, so I'm optimistic on that count too.

(Isn't it great to see the glass half full?) :)

I predict that everyone going during that week will have a great time (just avoid the MK on Saturdays and on Columbus Day itself)

Jon

I read somewhere that October 8 was the official opening of Mickey's Philharmagic and that October 9 is scheduled to have a media event for MS at Epcot. Can anyone confirm this?

We've been the past two Octobers. Obviously, as harperwi mentioned, 2001 was sort of an anomaly with small crowds. But 2002 was manageable too. Those two October trips are my DD5 only ones to the World - and thus far she has never waited more than 15 minutes in a line. (I know, I know - her time will come!)

Some ideas:

1) ALWAYS have a FastPass for something

2) Definitely go to MNSSHP, and get there before 5:30pm (we've had essentially no waits in Fantasyland between 6pm - when the non-party guests must exit - and about 7:30pm. However, we've only done week night MNSSHPs. I hope the weekend party provides you the same opportunity!)

3) Watch the last MNSSHP parade in Liberty Square or Frontierland. It will be lined with folks during the parade, but we've found "curb seats" with less than 15 minutes before Headless Horseman. (Make sure you take a nap that day then stay til midnight at MNSSHP, cause some folks leave early.)

4) Watch the fireworks from in front of Mickey's house in Toontown. Great view (except you miss Tink/Witch) and no need to show up early to claim a spot.

Granted, our trips are planned around a pre-schooler - so we weren't too concerned about "the mountains" at MK or ToT and RnRC at MGM. We did get her on SM during MNSSHP last year with less than 10 minute wait around 10pm. (Yes, she's tall for her age!)

Good luck!

My DS7 and myself will be there the 10th-14th and plan on going to the mnsshp on Fri. night. I'm hoping it won't be extremely crowd since we will only be there a short time. We are going to take advantage of all the emh. I'm hoping to get in all the big rides, some shows, a parade or two, a few hours at TL, and a couple of hours at Disney Quest. Does anyone think thats to much?

I'm dressing up for the MNSSHP, are you?

I don't think that's too much for a commando-style visit in October at all.

My motto is: "Plan ahead, and then plan to ditch the plan."

One of the keys to being able to get a lot done at WDW is to know as much as possible ahead of time and have an idea what you'll do when, and then be flexible enough to jump at opportunities that arise that are contrary to the plan.

For example, If you plan to hit MK and find it super crowded one day, go somewhere else that's not busy and try again at the MK another time.

The more you've studied up front, the more you'll know what your option are and what strategies really work. :)

Jon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter