Weekend Box Office

MikeS

Earning My Ears
Mere are my predictions for this weekend

Eddie Murphey will be #1 with Dr. Doolittle 2 which I feel will pull $34 Million.

Second Place will be Tomb Raider with 22M
Third will be Fast and the Furious with 18 M
fourth will be Atlantis with $13 m
Fifth will be Shrek with 9.5 Million

Let see how close I come.

WOW!! I didn't know you could say so much without saying a word. That's talent, gcurling!!

LOL!! :D LOL!! :D LOL!! :D

guys
I have said before I consult Boxoffguru plus two other data sites and then judge for myself. My predictions are not based purely on the guru sometimes he is way off. I also went to some local movies and asked which films were packing them in and which were bombing. My predictions a a mixture of several factors. I you check the guru, he says Pearl will hit 200 m I say 185 million. So far I am closer.

I think Atlantis and Tomb Raider will be much closer to each other than $9 million.
Atlantis' performance has been getting slightly better each day, whereas Tomb Raider's is dropping like a rock, and they are almost on par now when comparing at the average per-theater numbers.

Maybe not always, but this time you might as well have put a link to the guru site...your numbers pretty much exactly match the numbers posted there except for the $1M you took from Atlantis and gave to Doolittle 2. :D

Well Johare
My numbers are similar because all three of my sources were within 1 m of each other. Actually after checking with the theaters last night, I may up my Fast and Furious numbers up 2 million or so. All shows at the two theaters I consulted were sold out last night. The manager said it was like that all day on 2 screens. It might turn out to be bigger than I thought.

Looks like you're going to have to bump up the Fast & Furious #'s even a bit more. Did nearly $15m Friday.

Ok, well I predict that Fast and Furious will do over $40 million with Dolittle 2 coming in at about $26 million. Atlantis will barely beat Shrek $13 to $11 million. TombRaider will do about $20M and Swordfish will fall to $7.7M, but not as far as Pearl Harbor which only pulls in $7M

:D :D :D

As I said in post 2, I underestimated The fast and the furious. The theaters I talked to said it was packing them in left and right. Wish I would have known that friday. Here are the totals:
Fast and Furious 41.6M
Dr Doolittle 26.7M
Atlantis 13.2M
Shrek 11.0 M

Furious stole some of Doolittle's fire but the amazing thing is Shrek after week 6, all most matched week two of Atlantis. The Ogre just won't quit. He is almost where Lion King was at the same period in time.

Kids fare will be heating up in the next few weeks with Doolittle and Cats and Dogs trying for the kid $$$. And watch for a sleeper called The Rat Race which has been getting good reaction to the teaser here in Florida.

Don't forget Jurassic Park 3 due out in a few weeks if I'm not mistaken. If this is any good, it should blow all of these out of the water.

We finally saw Atlantis and it was good. Good as Shrek? I don't think so personally and this is from a devout Disney fan. I think that Shrek doing so well might be good for Disney though. It might just wake them up. (Finally!)

I saw Atlantis and thought it was very good. There was never a dull moment, the animation was amazing, it had a great storyline, and it had great characters. I don't know why it's not doing that good. I do think it's more og a grown up movie, and most little kids won't understand it. I really liked it!:p

I thought Atlantis was far better then Shrek.
Great characters, great lines, great action, great adventure, great mythos.
Although I found it entertaining, I found Shrek very predictable with a few good lines here and there, but ultimately just a 'cute' little film, which relied heavily on side jokes, the donkey and sight gags.

I saw Atlantis this weekend and my daughter saw it the second time. She like Shrek but thought Atlantis had a much better story. Also, trying to compare CGI to regular animation (with some CGI) isn't fair, sort of apples to oranges.

Now my review: Atlantis is a must buy when Video/DVD. It had a very good story line (unlike Tomb Raider) with fabulous animation. There are scenes in it that just made me go WOW. Plus the audience applauded at the end. Shrek is beating it at the box office but is a different kind of movie. I don't think it will have the re-release power that an Atlantis will have. I walked out of the movie marveling at its sweeping vistas. Especially when Atlantis is first shown.

As an aside, anyone when no who did the voice of the communications operator. She sounded very familiar but I know that who she sounded like (the original baliff on night court) died, so who imitated her (so perfectly).

DisDuck, the communications operator is voiced by Florence Stanley. Remember Fish's wife, Bernice, on Barney Miller? She also played the role of the judge on "my two dads". I apologize for knowing that fact, but hey Staci Keanon was cute, right?

Night Court suffered two losses in its early years, Flo Halop as well as Selma Diamond passed away.

Here's the actual box office results:
1 - The Fast and the Furious UNIV $41,600,000 $41,600,000 1 2628
2 - Dr. Dolittle 2 FOX $26,712,000 $26,712,000 1 3049
3 1 Lara Croft: Tomb Raider PARA $20,200,000 $84,234,000 2 3312
4 2 Atlantis: The Lost Empire BV $13,200,000 $44,300,000 3 3071
5 3 Shrek D'WORKS $11,000,000 $215,800,000 6 3007
6 4 Swordfish WB $7,715,000 $53,226,000 3 2660
7 5 Pearl Harbor BV $7,000,000 $172,100,000 5 2668
8 8 Moulin Rouge FOX $3,838,000 $43,420,000 6 1592
9 6 Evolution D'WORKS $3,600,000 $32,600,000 3 2258
10 7 The Animal SONY $3,000,000 $51,327,000 4 2228

Yes, gcurling, I remember Bernice on Barney Miller but I thought the character sounded more like Selma Diamond then Bernice. In either case, the voice fit the character perfectly. As did all of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter