Weekend staycation - no parks - WWYD?

2xcited2sleep

DIS Veteran
Contemplating a weekend staycation with no park visits in Feb/March timeframe. Two choices I'm mulling over (but open to other ideas) -- will honestly probably end up doing both/all over time. Goals are relaxation and good food. (1) AKL/Kidani - just relaxing at the resort and enjoying the amazing restaurants or (2) OKW or Saratoga with emphasis on Disney Springs. What would you choose? I'm completely torn. As I said, may ultimately try both. If prioritizing the ability to snack around Disney Springs is Saratoga (vs. OKW) the better pick? How is the boat service from OKW? What would be your no-park staycation choice?

I have not stayed at OKW or AKL, but can say have stayed at SSR a few times with no park time, and trips to Disney Springs.

I love it there and having all the food and beverage options within walking distance was amazing. Being able to window shop with a drink in my hand with such ease was very nice.

Never stayed at OKW, but we loved SSR for our staycation...spa, close to Disney Springs...we did a pub crawl on the monorail...Trader Sam's, Grand Floridian and ended up with delicious chocolate cake at Top of the World Lounge for fireworks...

All of these options are a dream - I don't think you will go wrong. If you lean toward lounging then OKW, if you lean toward gorgeous lobby and food AKL, and if you love window shopping SSR. But you can't go wrong with any of these.

SSR is great... I've spent lots of time at their spa and love the easy access to Disney Springs. However, for stay-cations I prefer to be anywhere that can snag a 'free' fireworks view at night (MK resorts especially). GF is my fave - very nice pools, bars/quick serves, spa, etc. I also like the WL since it feels like I've been completely transported away from central Fla. AK is similar and very relaxing, but also has lots to do/see (alas, no fireworks though).

My vote would be OKW, though its not like you have bad choices.

OWK has bigger rooms, more recently refurbed - plus close to HH is nice you get Olivia's.

I like the boat ride to DS, its very leisurely to me.

If you go with SS, make sure you go with a preferred room - Congress Park is close to DS, so you can walk it.

AK certainly isnt bad, nice restaurants, chill and watch the animals. Victoria Falls is great, and may be the best of the choices if the weather isnt great.

Things are so hard when all the choices are good.

Last edited:
I love Bobbi's notion of a Cascade Lodge Cabin for a staycation. Yep, been there, done that and loved it. Grand idea.

In all, unit size and configuration might make the difference here. If booking a 1BR, do consider that OKW's 1BR units are, as mentioned above, huge and perfect for lounging. However, I'm not a fan of OKW's studio configuration with two beds ... as it eats up all the floor space.

Feb/Mar timeframe might be stunning views from the AKV balconies. The shorter days and cooler weather might keep the animals moving about, enjoying spots of sunlight and, thus, easier to see. However, shorter days also means the room itself might feel darker.

As I'm not a huge Disney Springs fan, I'd personally book AKV for the animals, dining and lobby. However, if DS is the highlight, I'd book Saratoga and enjoy either walking or taking the boats. I'd also add visiting Port Orleans, both the Riverside and French Quarter sections, using the boats. Love that area along the canals ... so easy to get lost in one's mind and emotions ... relaxing, beautiful and peaceful.

You can't go wrong ... :)

I love Disney Springs and would do a staycation at Saratoga for sure. With the boats you can also take a leisurely ride over to Riverside or French Quarter.

Of your choices I would do AKL. We love the pool, animals, the amazing architecture and Boma. Twenty years ago it was OKW using the boat to get to DS. We're spending a week at the Poly in May and might do one day at EPCOT but otherwise we'll be hanging at the pool and take the monorail to different resorts for meals. Each resort is so unique, it is like choosing an ice cream flavor - they are all good it just depends on your taste!

DH and I are doing a no parks trip (first one ever!) next week. We are staying at SSR in a preferred one bedroom. Can't wait! We have some nice meals planned, lots of R&R time, movie night (Frozen II or Charlie's Angels), hot air balloon ride, maybe spa treatments and whatever else we feel like doing. It's so nice not to have a real itinerary!

We've done a stay-cation at both places. We feel AK has more theme and a better on-site bar selection. OKW is pleasantly theme-less with limited/smaller on-site amenities however it is just a boat ride away from DS. We were able to keep ourselves entertained at both places and both places lend themselves to relaxation. OKW has a better bathroom set up then either AK or SSR - IMO.

I forgot to mention, if its relaxing, well to me that is hitting a few balls around the course. So staying at SSR gives you the ability to walk to the course and walk home after. Or OKW we always had a few "pops" waiting on our 1st floor when we drove by our home. Just did this in late April of this year. So that is relaxing and eating well for me./

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. As you've said, really not a bad choice in the mix. I still want to do all of them, LOL. Will have to take a look at availability and rates.

It depends on what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DS (DTD), area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DS (DTD) 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

Also done both. Okw gives me that tropical vibes. I enjoy siting by the pool and renting bikes and riding around including to Disney springs. We have also walked on the trail there for exercise. Akv is very relaxing. I love getting counter service breakfast in Saana. It’s lovely. We love Bomas and jiko. I enjoy the sauna at akv although okw has one in the lighthouse as well. Akv feels more upscale.
We really like both. But okw offers more outdoors stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter